Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here study economics?

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Default Anyone here study economics?

Vaguely remember someone on PD saying they did...
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

what do you need lord

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

nm, just wanted to know if there was someone who'd read if i posted links to intriguing economics articles i find on the web

also i have finals coming up next week so i might need help when i start studying for them
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

on that note, if anyone's interested in anthropology:

pls post

pls

it sort of sucks that we're all studying disparate academic fields that we cannot discuss

idk, from my experience most disciplines do have some amount of overlap (at least, economics and anthropology certainly would, idk about computer science), we just need to start talking and the commonalities will begin to show

most academic disciplines have commonalities with one another

Reaganomics!!!!!

I studied Reagonomics at the University of Reagan in Reagansville

as a math major, I have realized that most things economists throw at you are nonsense

when they say "the rate of job growth is decreasing" they seem to ignore the fact that the amount of jobs is still decreasing, hence job growth, we only lose jobs when the job growth is negative

just an example, there is a more complicated version of this with GDP complaints, but I am too lazy ATM to research that up

wait what kirby is a math major?

what classes are you taking

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    when they say "the rate of job growth is decreasing" they seem to ignore the fact that the amount of jobs is still decreasing
    you mean increasing

yeah

nothing impressive now, I was in a number theory class but I had to drop out of it

are you in calc or something

calc 3 and Statistics currently

I know I should be more advanced as a second year, but whatever

also, this isn't regular statistics, its like advanced statistics or some shit

Finding out my first year results didn't count towards my GPA was the worst possible thing that could have happened to me. Apart from continuous assessment (essays we had to hand in and whatnot), I've done absolutely no work this semester.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Finding out my first year results didn't count towards my GPA was the worst possible thing that could have happened to me. Apart from continuous assessment (essays we had to hand in and whatnot), I've done absolutely no work this semester.
    why the fuck would they do that?

mit does that. they want to get their students used to the rigors of college education without that putting a dent on their gpas. but introductory material at mit is fundamental to nearly every major so if they dont understand those concepts theyre fucked the next year - i dont know if this is true in lords case.

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    why the fuck would they do that?
    Possibly because it would be unfair to grade us on essays and such when we have no idea how to write an academic essay without doing it first and receiving constructive criticism?

Albertans learn proper essay structuring in high school, with a 75%+ in Grade 12 English being a requirement for entry into any degree. I didn't realize it was different elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Albertans learn proper essay structuring in high school, with a 75%+ in Grade 12 English being a requirement for entry into any degree. I didn't realize it was different elsewhere.
    Of course you didn't, because anyone inside of America and Canada tend to be ignorant of every other culture in the world.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Wat.

All of my courses affected my GPA... :c

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Of course you didn't, because anyone inside of America and Canada tend to be ignorant of every other culture in the world.
    the rich irish culture of writing shitty essays

Ignorance of culture = Misunderstanding of specific element of educational curriculum of country with population < 6,000,000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast