Thread: A peculiar phenomenon that hit me a while ago

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.” Lord's Avatar

Default A peculiar phenomenon that hit me a while ago

I like those ones that you're not actively thinking about and they just hit you all of a sudden, this is one such thought - isn't it rather strange how several online Pokécommunities were fostered, and then flourished, under no real leader? PokéCommunity, for example, its original admin, Master Kwesi Nkhromah, was never anywhere to be seen (and still isn't). The admin of Pe2k was infamous for never paying attention to his forum. And Mewtwo... need I say more? Just thought it was pretty weird how these little societies managed to build themselves up without anyone to actually govern them in the early days.
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

is good for you

Uh oh, another nostalgia trip. Here take one of these, this should help: http://web.archive.org/web/201011280...am.com/forums/

is good for you

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Just thought it was pretty weird how these little societies managed to build themselves up without anyone to actually govern them in the early days.
    This is how all human communities form, bands and tribes coalesce into larger groups thanks to technological advancement. Centralized leadership only appears after a society has reached a large enough size to warrant large-scale organization.

pd has generally been an oligarchy if we want to analyze it on the scale of a civilization (which i do)

i am pds true leader and i control everything in the back round

All Internet forums are oligarchies.

not really, there are forums where administrators and their chosen moderators wield much more power than they ever have on pd

.....which is also an oligarchy

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I think God's confusing oligarchy with some sort of populist plutocracy

I have seen a few forums out there where the moderators go by purely the amount of money they have donated or points in the game they have. I don't know what that is, but its definitely not a oligarchy as there isn't some in-group in charge at the top.

I wouldn't really consider PD or other lax forums as oligarchies. I am more of reminded of the military run governments that are see in real life from time to time, like Egypt was a few years ago. The people have the ability to form amoungst themselves with no real oversight, but at any time the military can lay the hammer down through brute force.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaous View Post
    i am pds true leader and i control everything in the back round
    also im disappointed that no ones called attention to this HILARIOUS typo

im disappointed that you have called attention to that HILARIOUS type