Thread: how do you get interested in people?

Default how do you get interested in people?

whenever i meet new people i dont give a shit about them. its not because im some sort of misanthrope, but when i lack knowledge about a person i cant bring myself to care about them unless i come across some tidbit of their lives that i find interesting. because i dont care at the get go, i dont even try to engage them in conversation to get to the point where i learn enough about them to BECOME interested in them, thus its sort of a vicious cycle. at various points in my life ive attributed this to a mixture of social awkwardness and introversion, but ive realized that im actually not socially awkward at all and if i am an introvert then shying away from starting conversations with people and avoiding social situations has stopped me from developing relationships with a shitton of possibly cool/interesting people. i guess the simplest solution is to just force myself to break the ice with as many people as i possibly can but id rather somehow teach myself to WANT to do it rather than struggle to put myself out there.

thoughts?

the reason why i socialize is pretty much figure out ways to make me happy. sounds horrible putting it that way, but i enjoy going out and doing things, but i don't like doing things alone. so i want to spread the fun that i have with others.
    lately i haven't been doing that since shit has been hitting the fan constantly...

but learning about people and how they tick interests me. their stories and how i can help them make me want to learn about them.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

put yourself out there, 'introversion' as a concept is fraught with problems and isn't as concrete as you might think. i used to be an 'introvert' but then i started doing things and talking to people and now people think of me as an 'extravert'.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    put yourself out there, 'introversion' as a concept is fraught with problems and isn't as concrete as you might think. i used to be an 'introvert' but then i started doing things and talking to people and now people think of me as an 'extravert'.
    That's because introversion-extroversion is a spectrum. Few and far between are people who are completely introverted or extroverted, usually they're mentally ill.

I had this problem too, Rayne, when I started University and didn't know anybody. Here's a few tips:

- Alcohol
    - Make lots of (tactful) jokes
    - Listen to people tell you things. People LOVE being listened to.
    - Alcohol
    - Asking about majors/classes makes for some good icebreakers
    - For reals, don't be afraid to just put out a hand for shaking and say, "Hi, my name is..." As long as they're going to be sitting next to you for at least 20 minutes, this is a perfectly valid tactic.
    - Alcohol
    - If you already have done friends, try working on strengthening your bonds with them instead of meeting as many people as possible. They'll eventually invite you to parties and get-togethers where you'll naturally meet more people.
    - Shave
    - Alcohol

solly im not socially incompetent. i have a fair number of friends and a large circle of acquaintances. i dont find it difficult to engage people in conversation. my problem is that i dont really want to and dont put myself in situations where i am forced to (stay away from gatherings, dont party that often even though i conceivably could, etc). its like how i enjoy posting on internet forums and i would enjoy being able to post on more active message boards but the inertia of finding one, getting to know people, etc dissuades me.

an example would be the other day when i was with a friend at the post office and he ran into somebody he knew. i could have conceivably gone and introduced myself and created a new connection but i hung back and buried my head in my phone, not because i was incapable of making conversation but because i didnt care enough to.

i dont even know what to call this - social laziness?

all the same alcohol seems like a good a place as any to start

Like I said, "Hi, my name is..." until you get used to it.

yeah youre probably right. incessantly force communication till it becomes second nature. also drink a lot. great life advice.

That's Western social norms for you.

this thread is beyond my comprehension

i masturbated today and came over almost everything... i mean, you can kinda do the same... just talk about something random and hope to it hits off on everyone
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]