Thread: orthographic reform?

Default orthographic reform?

how do you feel about the idea of english spelling being reformed to conform more with how the words sound?

i DONT LIKE IT

Of course not! That's destroy hundreds of years of culture and tradition for the sake of dumbing it down. Go read Feed by M T Andrerson and you can see the results of crap like that

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Language and spelling have always been changing, we just have a formalized system now.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I just realized that post doesn't make much sense. My point was: Pronunciation and spelling have always been shifting, sometimes spelling does not catch up with pronunciation. This becomes a bigger problem in a language like English, which has become formalized but has several diverse regional accents/dialects. Currently English is undergoing a large vowel shift in the American midwest, of the same magnitude as The Great Vowel Shift. The changing of English spelling would be a rational decision, but given the wide range of English-speaking regions and the fact that there are ALREADY competing systems of spelling due to a similar attempt (American vs. British), this would not be a realistic undertaking.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Might make it easier for non native speakers to learn. I have my doubts that spelling is the major stumbling block to that process though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~