Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i feel very disconnected from modern times

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default i feel very disconnected from modern times

somehow in the course of somewhere i've become this depressing "granddad"-esque sort of person. i get insanely paranoid reading the news, only really read poetry and use barely any technology. i'm sort of okay being like this but it means that most of what people say/do is utterly incomprehensible to me, and my only real appeal as a person lies in the fact that i'm a rather novel archaism.

so i've started to dress very archaically, act very anachronistically and just try and make there a kind of novel appeal to it. it works - i have a girlfriend again now and i'm quite happy and a lot more *myself* than i was. but it's kind of hard just accepting and dealing with the fact that i am a kind of interesting archaism.

its ok hicky modern modes of life are pretty lame

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

You're not the only person who's ever felt completely socially isolated in the advent of the technological age. Haven't you ever listened to Radiohead's critically acclaimed 1997 album 'OK Computer'?

Other stream-of-consciousness thoughts that hit me while reading your post:

re: getting insanely paranoid reading the news. Lately I've been working on a conspiracy theory. I'm not really one to delve into that type of thing usually because I think, while they can be a fun discourse of sorts, they tend to be a waste of time. But it basically goes along the general theory that upper-class academics, since the 1950s or 60s, have been unwittingly helping the contemporary bourgeoises and oppressing the counterpart proletariat class, firstly with their postmodern wave of the cool within the arts, which seeped into media and the popular culture, offering a broad scope intake of certain opinions, acting as some sort of sick, twisted propaganda in a way. The most recent examples I can think of to back this up are, like, the general idea that Occupy Wall Street was a failure, or the whole public outcry against scientology. It's an interesting way of thinking about things anyway. I only read opinion pieces in the New Yorker these days to be truthful.

What era did you derive your new dress sense from? How do you 'act anachronistically'? Just by taking whatever age you fancy or is your personality a one trick, time-traveler-stuck pony?
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

i don't think it's "isolation" as such, it's just a blithe disconnection. i have a lot of friends and a girlfriend, and am pretty happy. i'm just shocked that i have managed to become this hopelessly disconnected old man. i don't think it's very sustainable.

how are thoughts anything other than stream-of-consciousness?

it's an interesting analysis i guess. other people deciding what constitutes "proletariat" art or "rebellious" art, particularly the UPPER-CLASS, is inevitably going to create problems.

i just wear things like hats, trousers, boots, ties in quotidian dress. i dress in a deleriously old-fashioned way.

as in, if at this point i don't even do stuff like have a smartphone, use facebook, read e-books etc. then what on earth am i going to feel like as an old man? i think i'm worried about nothing really and it's fine to reject technology, i guess i'm just surrounded by mindless people.

i don't buy into stuff like "postmodernism". i think we're still RESOLUTELY in the "modernist" era.

Lymphoma Superstar Uganda Pikachu's Avatar

I feel you, man. I feel like I'm still living in the year 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    as in, if at this point i don't even do stuff like have a smartphone, use facebook, read e-books etc. then what on earth am i going to feel like as an old man? i think i'm worried about nothing really and it's fine to reject technology, i guess i'm just surrounded by mindless people.

i don't buy into stuff like "postmodernism". i think we're still RESOLUTELY in the "modernist" era.
    im no philosophy expert but since modernism was so much about jarring transitions in art, society, culture etc. i dont see how we should still be in a modernist era where all those groundbreaking changes are over and civilization is no longer experiencing revolutionary change in any way

transitions and widesweeping cultural changes like "modernism" take time and last far longer than 50 years to happen. we may feel like we're in the 'post-modern' or the 'post-post-modern' era but i think that the future will definitely come to regard this as simply part of the 'modernist' era.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Civilization is gong through another revolution right now, of robotics and information technology. I think it's cool, though.

basically, the reason we are obsessed with this being the 'post-modern' era is because we can examine our cultural consciousness and say that it seems overwhelmingly confusing and therefore we must be in a unique point of confusion because we have to respond to modernism. but there are many periods where some sort of cultural fragmentation took place and culture just became overwhelmingly silly. therefore, we're not really 'post-modern', we're just unable to assess what cultural period we're in when we live in it.

Civilization is gong through another revolution right now, of robotics and information technology. I think it's cool, though.

bring back the medieval era, i say

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    it might be about to but its not significantly affecting culture yet

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

i don't think it's "isolation" as such, it's just a blithe disconnection. i have a lot of friends and a girlfriend, and am pretty happy. i'm just shocked that i have managed to become this hopelessly disconnected old man. i don't think it's very sustainable.
    I suppose the technophobe aspect isn't particularly sustainable, no, considering this is the twenty-first century and we're in the midst of the world's second greatest recession and most jobs require use of technology/most white-collar careers won't be feasible within the next half-century when robotics take over for them; also there's the fact that it's a lot easier to lose track of everything relevant in your life when you're not in the whole social network sphere etc. etc..
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    it might be about to but its not significantly affecting culture yet
    Was reading an Economist article/Oxford University research paper the other day that predicted 47% of the labour force would be unemployed within the next thirty years as it becomes more efficient to carry out the more menial jobs with technology. I mean, most service industry hiring will become a thing of the past pretty soon - even now you have interfaces in some restaurants where you can order what you want by computer from your table and someone will get it for you. How long will it be before that 'someone' is a robot?

Not to mention the fact that if we take that law Moore's Law as fact, we're supposed to be ushered into an age of singularity at some point within the next century.

how are thoughts anything other than stream-of-consciousness?

it's an interesting analysis i guess. other people deciding what constitutes "proletariat" art or "rebellious" art, particularly the UPPER-CLASS, is inevitably going to create problems.

i just wear things like hats, trousers, boots, ties in quotidian dress. i dress in a deleriously old-fashioned way.
    It was more like I didn't bother to refine or edit them in my mind and I just wrote them as they came to me, I meant.

Yeah but the problem with it is it's one of those 'theories' that actually makes perfect sense but you can't really prove/disprove it. It's like a mode of thinking rather than a method of explanation.

That sounds classy.

that whole 47% thing could either be a catastrophe or a great opportunity for a better society. the way governments seem to understand their functioning as of current however it's more likely the be the former. lord you're studying economics right? read up on modern monetary theory.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    that whole 47% thing could either be a catastrophe or a great opportunity for a better society. the way governments seem to understand their functioning as of current however it's more likely the be the former. lord you're studying economics right? read up on modern monetary theory.
    It sounds like a carnival of trains wrecks right off, doesn't it? But then I was thinking about it for a little bit and it would make so much sense - because obviously 50% of the work force would be completely wiped out - for a new social class to develop; like the actual, financially recognised hipster class, dedicated to studying and producing art. Literally a leisure class that would live on government funding. But I don't know.

I'm studying medicine, theoretical physics, music, english, economics and politics. It's an interesting concoction. I actually stumbled onto an in-depth analysis of modern monetary theory the other nights on another forum but nope'd the fuck outta there because it was like four in the morning and I was really drunk. Anywhere I should start? What I really hate about studying economics is that whenever you go onto the internet everyone tells you undergraduates are being indoctrinated and brainwashed into believing theories that don't hold up in the real world/have nothing to do with actual economics because they're so unbelievably archaic. That's a little disheartening.

well for me the only thing that makes me want to go to restaurants is that the person serving me is a fellow human being with emotions who smiles at me and that i can communicate to about human experience. if it was a robot i simply would lose my passion of going to restaurants: it would feel like an utterly pointless, replicable experience. i think all of this robotics stuff is over-hype. human beings need other human beings with empathy in things like the service sector.

i'm sure there will be soulless restaurants where you are just served by a robot and that's it. that's fine. but there will ALWAYS be restaurants where you are served by a fellow human being who will ask you how you are and be exceptionally polite to you. if you remove human empathy from life you will make it intolerable and i'm sure people will eventually realise this.

it's all very well saying "oh yeah robots can do these jobs so they will no longer exists soon". just try and imagine the experience of going to a restaurant with some friends, being mindlessly served by a robot, and actually having anything that resembles fun. if you lose that, you lose the restaurantness of the restaurant - the fact that it's a slightly startling interruption to the normal day of making yourself unadventurous food

That's a good point - I can see robots playing a very prominent role in the future of the fast food industry, not so much homely seaside restaurants.

But if the cost benefit of dropping humans and replacing them with technology is so great, what if every food outlet was to do so. No one would be able to do anything other than adapt if there were no viable alternatives. After a few generations no one would be able to remember being served by fellow humans - this era could even be remember as inhumane towards that section of the labour force - for even existing, like a contemporary slavery or something.

if society ever got to that point i would go and live in a commune which will always exist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast