Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: i feel very disconnected from modern times

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

clearly anyone advocating anything that you're not explicitly used to must be 'high as balls'

Also, it's definitely just as arbitrary. Agriculture is a culturally learned phenomenon, just like all the other things you're arguing about. You keep making claims about people needing or wanting this or that, when really this desire is culturally rooted, and thus subject to change as technology changes.
    so you think the whole trajectory of human progress and cultural development is assessed in terms of the particular technologies we happen to develop. wonderful.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

No? First of all "progress" is a fickle word that I would rather you not put in my mouth. Second of all, by technology I'm referring to the anthropological definition: the sum of cultural knowledge and economic means developed by a society, including aesthetics and philosophy. I'd say that's pretty much the root of cultural development, although certainly not the only cause.

On a more important note:

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Hicky I have no idea wtf you're arguing anymore
    Are you just trying to say you're going to miss pastoral poems? I'm sure there will still be people farming and shepherding for the sake of shepherding in the future. What confuses is me is your claim that agrarian-inspired art is of a higher quality. If that's your personal preference that's fine, but that's a pretty ambitious blanket statement.

i can only infer things from what you post. inference is a natural facet of debate.

i just said that i think it is better and that's my opinion. but it is objectively different and more involved in a lot of ways: it encourages a more sensory, three-dimensional engagement in art (for everybody) than just reading a novel or watching a film, which i imagine will be the predominant art forms of the economy of the future. those who want something more sensory, something more concerned with the rhythms of natural life will have to form deeply alternative communities or just take part in obscure, lifeless traditions.

pastoral poetry doesn't really exist today. but it was the habit in older poetry to have a natural sense of rhythm, a certain communion of natural imagery, which i and i'm sure many others (perhaps not anthropologists or economists) would say appear to be almost inextricably linked with the obligation for some people to till their crops. a very specific type of poetry dwindles and wanes due to the loss of this "arbitrary" connection.

let's just agree that we share very different ideals and move on

i love you

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

This was a great thread. Crazy to juxtapose a debate like this with an argument on Cosmo in 2010. We've all matured quite a bit I believe.

I still don't get this thread.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I still don't understand wtf Hicky was taking about

Autistic pastoral poetry and the decline of anachronisms Solly, try to keep up!

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    bring back the medieval era, i say[/INDENT]
    This is how I feel most of the time. I feel as if the progression of technology is accelerating the passing of trends, and the amount of information I'm bombarded with each day has gotten me so nauseated I just refuse to process it anymore. I feel like an old man when my sister who's still in high school drops these weird new words on me that I have no fucking clue what they mean. Let's just revert to simpler times so I my head can stop spinning please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    I still don't understand wtf Hicky was taking about
    I guess I didn't express myself very clearly. I would have been better at explaining all of this in real life, I imagine.

I think that I am literally a more mature person to when I was actually talking in this thread

This thread is an excellent place to plug the novel Feed again as it addresses this topic a little.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234