Thread: China... Historically

Default China... Historically

NYrisis and I were watching Mulan today and had several historical questions. I figured PD could give us answers. First off, does Mulan have aspergers? She was raised in the culture and would know causing a huge scene in front of everyone when her father got his conscription notice would be an act of great dishonor. Even if she was upset shed have to be retarded to make a scene. Also how was homosexuality treated and viewed during that time period. The chemistry between Mulan and Shang really only works out if he's bisexual. They have obvious attraction for one another mid movie when Mulan is still supposed to be a man. Enlighten me PD
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

The East is weird about gender and sexuality, where are ok with homosexuals, others aren't. What would of happened in reality, in the context the story, is he probably would of seen my her as "Third Gender." Something which doesn't correlate to our western understanding of sex and gender well.

By modern terms, he would probably have be a bi/pansexual, but no such sexual understanding really existed at the time.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Disney added the romance entirely, so it's probably best not to think about it too much. I heard the Chinese didn't really like the movie anyway.

Depending on which version of the poem you read, Mulan either was with the army for 12 years and no one found out, or, she commits suicide at the end because she did not want to become a concubine. So yeah.

its wicked obvious mulan was a lesbian. seriously guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by giftsbestt View Post
    People, let us discuss 4 actions to support your personal wife's continue to Earth less complicated: Vacuum your girlfriend car. Refill her vehicle's gas tank. Buy her flowers... originating from a florist who all conducts business in a very building along with a solid roof top, not on road-side stands as well as at gasoline stations. You might earn things by actually vehicle and getting out of your car or truck. Gas rail station flowers that reek of unleaded tend to be not as purposeful. They along with precisely the same category seeing that gas station sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by stiles View Post
    its wicked obvious mulan was a lesbian. seriously guys.
    stop interfering with my projection

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    The East is weird about gender and sexuality, where are ok with homosexuals, others aren't. What would of happened in reality, in the context the story, is he probably would of seen my her as "Third Gender." Something which doesn't correlate to our western understanding of sex and gender well.

By modern terms, he would probably have be a bi/pansexual, but no such sexual understanding really existed at the time.
    weren't there like plenty of homosexual emperors in historic times as well
    People, let us discuss 4 actions to support your personal wife's continue to Earth less complicated: Vacuum your girlfriend car. Refill her vehicle's gas tank. Buy her flowers... originating from a florist who all conducts business in a very building along with a solid roof top, not on road-side stands as well as at gasoline stations. You might earn things by actually vehicle and getting out of your car or truck. Gas rail station flowers that reek of unleaded tend to be not as purposeful. They along with precisely the same category seeing that gas station sushi.

pre modern chinese homosexuality seems to be pretty similar to ancient western homosexuality. dudes just fucked each other all the time back then, the modern western social view of homosexuality is hilariously unnatural.

depends where you live really. ive been down to south carolina to visit family and theyre some of the most homophobic people ive met in my life. at the same time its hard to walk through boston and not see a rainbow flag on every street. just depends where you are i suppose, however id say its getting progressively better overall. i dont understand where it turned from being whatever into such a big deal for people though.