Thread: Why I hate /lit/

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Why I hate /lit/

- Reading is not some kind of massively elevated, elitist activity only for people who manage to persistently reject other forms of media. The notion that it is is very 20th/21st century, with the emergence of mass media. Reading novels in the 19th century was something that was actually laughed at by cultural snobs: see, Coleridge's letters, Byron's "Don Juan" (You won't see, but nevermind: I have evidence!)
    - From my admittedly limited experience with novelists like David Foster Wallace, Thomas Pynchon etc., it seems to me that these novelists express massively simple ideas in overwhelmingly convoluted ways. Please correct me on this!
    - Little to no discussions about poetry, plays, or anything other than novels seem to take place on /lit/.
    - I really dislike people who are just unnecessarily angry and frustrated about everything.

That's all I wanted to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I really dislike people who are just unnecessarily angry and frustrated about everything.
    Why I hate /lit/

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

I'll respond to this tomorrow afternoon.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Well I guess 'hate' isn't the right word. I posted there very briefly and decided not to post there for the reasons mentioned above. I harbor no real antipathy towards a collage of data on the internet.