Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fullmetal Alchemist - Worst Anime?

Default Fullmetal Alchemist - Worst Anime?

There have been large battles over this, mostly with Walrus leading the pro side and tim leading the side against. So here is where the final bout will be held. Is Fullmetal Alchemist the worst anime?

Rules:
    - No random "it sucks, no reason needed" bullshit. Give valid reasons.
    - No mod powers (editing, deleting)
    - No spam
    - Don't wane sides, pick a side and stick to it.

Obviously, as you know, I love FMA. At first I thought it was bad because of the huge fanbase for Ed, and the fact that one of the main characters is a suit of armor. It looked like a stupid concept. But after several people told me to watch, I did.

I really think its a great anime, but not the greatest. There are a few minor problems and the ending right out sucked, but I still stand by the fact that it isn't the worst anime ever.
    -.---.----..

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the worst anime ever. There plently of worse ones. However, it does have an (overall) unique plot and a movie that acutally has something to do with the anime besides a random sub-plot.

I just think the fandom was what killed it. Everywhere you go and ask: "What's your favorite anime?" Odds are, at least half of the asked people stayed up every Saturday night on Adult Swim to watch Fullmetal Alchemist and drool all over the TV screen. 7/10 people will most likely put FMA in their 10 list of favorites. I'm a fan of the show, but at least I don't worship it like it's God on Earth.

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of those "love it or hate it" kind of anime. Same goes with the ending of the movie.
    Besides, the manga is way better, but that'd be off-topic.

I'm pretty sure this should go in Anime.

Its a debate tim.

I agree with pichubro in some ways. Its true that the fanbase was large and it was something that drove me away at first. But I think what really makes other people hate it so much is the style its presented in.

Most animes are out there with a wierd plot and hilarious characters (i.e. FLCL) and the others are normally set in future/space (i.e. Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi) while FMA is more of a old Victorian style with average characters and a calmer plot. I also hear many people say that its art is horrible, but I wouldn't go that far.

Would I put FMA in my top 10? Yes I would, but why? Because I've only really watched about 10 different anime's.
    -.---.----..

You can debate about anime in the anime forum, can't you?
    its like making a "worst band ever" thread here instead of music forum

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
    I also hear many people say that its art is horrible, but I wouldn't go that far.
    If someone chose their opinion of a show based on its "art", then they're idiots. Not all great stories have great art. I wonder if they have heard of books?

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

I think the thread should stay tim.

hiro

i liked the anime,when i first watched it i was on guessin at every turn just when u had the plot figured out something drastic changed in the story and it was a new ball game,the end of the series gave partial closure to the series but the movie pretty much fillls on the gaps left by that,this is my opinion,nothing more

The thing is, they leave so much holes in the plot at the end. So many things are left untold.
    -.---.----..

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    You can debate about anime in the anime forum, can't you?
    its like making a "worst band ever" thread here instead of music forum
    Those sections are dead. Besides these are structured and thought out debates, not "zomg i love fma" followed by flamers.

Butts and boobies, cheaters and whores, you're a slut and a fan of all this and more... ThunderzLegacy's Avatar
    With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

I probably don't want to get in something that could end up over my head... but what the hell.

As most people here know, FMA is my favorite anime (though I unhesitatingly say that the manga is better). I obviously don't think it's the worst anime ever, but I also don't think it's the best that ever existed -- there really can't be a unanimous "best", because different people have different tastes, especially when it comes to anime. I just think it's one of the best I've seen. I find the artwork attractive (artwork can be a huge turnoff for me if it's poor/unattractive), the story was very good (though it takes a very different road in the manga after the whole thing with Greed), the characters are not flat, predictable, or annoying (like one tends to find in anime, on occasion), and although the end bothered me, the holes were filled in by the movie well enough, so I'm not complaining.

I think that's about it...
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE="1"]Pairs: The Blind Eye of Deception [DSX] | The Ninjassassin [Sasuke] | The Hadouken! [The Azn Party Boy]

Why am I the leader of this?

Eh, I'd say Fullmetal Alchemist was pretty good. I don't really watch anime, so it'd be my favorite, but I wouldn't doubt there are better ones out there. It just annoys me when people (like Tim) say "oh it sucks" and never back it up. Saying it sucks doesn't really prove anything. I guess you can't prove whether it's good or not by debating though, because it's a matter of opinion. I liked it because of the characters and the plot, but yes, the end left something to be desired.

It's been over a year since I got into FMA, so my enthusiasm has kind of died down, and also I'm still obsessing over psychotropic medication as of right now so arguing about FMA isn't my priority. But it was one of the few animes that didn't make me feel like I had wasted my time. Compared to some of the other animes I've watched, like .Hack//Legend of the Twilight, it's fantastic.

FMA is, in my opinion, a very good anime. Sure, it has a lot of stupid fangirls/boys, but then again, which anime doesn't?

Some people may hate it, but from what I've seen, the number of people who like is outnumbers the people who don't. So is it the worst anime ever? Not a chance.

If people like it great, if they don't like it that's fine too. If everyone liked the same shows, life would be very boring

Walrus, you have been personally leading the side against tim if you haven't noticed. You are the main one barading him to put up that essay. etc.
    -.---.----..

Does that make her a leader or just curious for Tim's opinion? I have reason to believe it's the latter

I'm curious as to his opinion, but in no way am I a 'leader' about fma. I don't care that much about the show.

Geezus Kryzt

It seems that this Nanaki fellow is falling shy of his own rules. As he seems to wane much.

Leader of the 7 Sins of PD: Dante Espeonmaster's Avatar

My opinion on FMA is a positive one. I haven't seen that many animes, so saying it's my favorite isn't much when you think about the few I've seen. But of what I've seen (Little bit of Cowboy Beebop, little bit of Bleach, and stuff from way back when), it is by far my favorite. People that say it has bad art are too nit-picky. I've only seen small things wrong in it (most of which comical, not "OMW what the heck is up with that?").

As for the ending, I was left wanting more. Since I'm big on "shipping" I wanted to know who was definitively with who, instead of being left wondering. The movie still didn't answer my search for that, yet at the same time it closed the doors on the two most likely possibilities. Aside from that, I found it an overall good show and movie, with a plot to keep you guessing. I laughed, I cried, and I said so in a cliche way. So my vote is no, it is not the worst, but rather, it's far from worst.
    Bishies Claimed: Ed~Rose~Armony~Dante
    ~Mikey ^.^
    Pairs: DSX*Pichubro*Red

Part of me wonders, would so many people hate FMA if it wasn't as popular as it is?

It could very well be a bandwagon. I guess it's just as cool to hate FMA as it is to like it nowadays

Geezus Kryzt

I agree in ways, when more popular people badmouth it, such as my father, other people automatically fall to his side so they do not have to make the choice themselves. To me, this is cowardice.

It's far from the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezus Kryzt View Post
    I agree in ways, when more popular people badmouth it, such as my father, other people automatically fall to his side so they do not have to make the choice themselves. To me, this is cowardice.

pentiummmx

I loved the FMA Anime. My only problems with it are that there are some questions left unanswered at the end and the movie wasn't that great.

-.---.----..

Advanced Trainer

I have to say the worst anime ever would be Naruto by far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast