Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Theology Megathread

im pretty sure not everyone who isnt a christian is doing it for images purposes

Advanced Trainer

Not everyone, but a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsh View Post
    People don't believe in christianity to be unique.
    wrong

Christianity is "old". o:
    right

Christianity is based on primitive beliefs and primitive morals. The modern church grasps on to these age old traditions with little to no understanding ofthe chaning world around them. When this happens, the Church remains intolerant and uneducated about many things, be if lifestyle wise or other.

Like it or not, Christianity is an ignorant faith.

Advanced Trainer

I hate debating.

Like it or not, Christianity is an ignorant faith.
    The most strict literal interpretations are often ignorant. That is not the only interpretation. To make a blanket statement as if it is is even more ignorant in fact.

As true as that is, it still must be noted that a lot of harm has been done based on various interpretations of the Bible. Countless lives have been lost due to the Church in some way or another. It's ignorance plain and simple.

Am I saying all Christians are ignorant and violent people? No. It just alarms me that through the course of history a majority of them have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsh View Post
    I hate debating.
    Then why are you here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    As true as that is, it still must be noted that a lot of harm has been done based on various interpretations of the Bible. Countless lives have been lost due to the Church in some way or another. It's ignorance plain and simple.

Am I saying all Christians are ignorant and violent people? No. It just alarms me that through the course of history a majority of them have been.
    That's true about literally everything in the world. Religions, countries, cults, etc etc.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

In other words: Stereotypes.

Umbreon

Okay, first, anyone that puts Christians and catholics together is an idiot. Catholics believe you can pray to saints as well as Christ and get to heaven. Christians believe that Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one get to heaven except through him. Second, tell me how Christians are ignorant. I am a Christian but I'm not ignorant. I am intelligent enough to listen and be open minded. Ask me anything and I can answer it with a passage from the bible, but wether or not you believe it is your choice.

happy awesome power kung fu jimmy chow's Avatar

Why do we exist?
    Greatness Reincarnated

Umbreon

We exsist because we were created to have fellowship with God, He wanted companionship so he created humans in his image.

Advanced Trainer

Then why are you here?
    Why am on earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon View Post
    We exsist because we were created to have fellowship with God, He wanted companionship so he created humans in his image.
    Why dont we all have fellowship with god?
    Greatness Reincarnated

Umbreon

Because, when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, sin entered the human race, God, being just, cannot have sin in his presence, therefore, we have to confess our sins and believe that his son came to save us from our sins in order to get to heaven.

why does god exist?
    Greatness Reincarnated

Umbreon

Because he is eternal. He was never born and can never die.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

I really doubt that it'd be much different with a modern religion like Atheism were in the position Christianity was at the time.

Religion in general should not have specific rules on lifestyle, only a set of beliefs that ones life should be built around, regardless of the times.

In a perfect world that would be the case, but unfortunatly we don't live in a utopian society.

At this point in time we can only try to educate the population on a more "live and let live" code. It saddens me that even in these modern times people clash with one another based on their disagreements. What's best is that we learn to appreciate one another, and agree to disagree.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

It doesn't require a Utopian society to be able to live your life around what you believe. Just because many people lack the conviction to - you know - actually operate based on what they believe in doesn't mean it takes miracles to do it on your own. Besides, why would how society works have any impact on spirituality?

In all honesty spirituality shouldn't be dictated by anyone but yourself anyway.
    Last edited by Giant Squid; 08-15-2007 at 02:48 PM.

1) Why didn't he just make himself a girlfriend then? Really, by that logic the best we are to the force behind all creation is an ant farm. Before I get carried away by that train of thought though, I'll admit there's a possibility for your interpretation of God's motive in our creation. I dunno why God created us but I have faith in it because, really who am I to question is judgement?

2) As far as the whole "in his image" thing goes, am I to believe that the omniscient, omnipresent maker of all existence is a biped with 28 teeth and an arm sPan equal to his height? Does he use his two eyes to see all that is was and ever shall be? Or use those eight fingers and two nifty thumbs to make everything tangeable? If God can be at all insulted by our trivial ideas, I think that would sicken him.

Because, when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, sin entered the human race, God, being just, cannot have sin in his presence, therefore, we have to confess our sins and believe that his son came to save us from our sins in order to get to heaven.

Honestly, what kinda convoluted crap is that? Assuming I believed in the biblical Adam and Eve, in all his unfathomable mercy, God couldn't have just said, "It's ok just don't do it again." instead of waiting 2000 years before sending his kid to Earth to give us some awfully sPecific guidelines to not automatically burn in hell forever on account of the sins of our most distant ancestors?

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Squid View Post
    I really doubt that it'd be much different with a modern religion like Atheism were in the position Christianity was at the time.

Religion in general should not have specific rules on lifestyle, only a set of beliefs that ones life should be built around, regardless of the times.
    People crave structure, and therefore there are always going to be extremists who take the "set of beliefs" and make them into a strict code. It doesn't matter what religion we're talking about, or even religion at all. People do it with everything, like veganism.

Although I'm outspokenly critical of religion, I don't necessarily think it should be abolished. A lot of people need something to believe in, after all, and I guess God is the thing they're going to believe in. I find religion to be fascinating in a strictly academic way, and I've tried my hand at reading religious texts like the Koran.

I think it is sad, though, when some people complain that religion isn't taught in schools, but then flip out when the schools teach about any other religion but their religion. I think if we're going to teach religion in public schools, it should be all of the religions, instead of focusing on just one. (Yes, Christians and Muslims, I'm looking at you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon View Post
    We exsist because we were created to have fellowship with God, He wanted companionship ...
    Ah, but you see, according to Christians, God is a perfect being who also, somehow, someway, is a creator. Both of those properties are in contradiction with one another. If one is perfect they are complete, full, accomplished, lacking nothing and therefore would have no need for companionship or the desire to create. So either God didn't create us since a perfect creator can't exist, or he's imperfect, and thus not a God.
    ... so he created humans in his image.
    And as for the whole 'created in his image' concept, it really, really does not make sense to me. A God would have absolutely no need for arms, legs, eyes, a mouth, hands with opposable thumbs or any other human qualities at all. If a God is supposed to be intangible and undetectable (which Christians contend quite often), then that concludes they transcend the physical universe as we know it and exist as non-corporeal entities with no true form at all - nothing physical to interact with, so no need for limbs or a body in general. So therefore humans could not have been created in God's image since God in fact would not have an image.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

I wasn't christianed and probably won't. I am thinking about becoming Catholic.
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    LINK AND ARTICUNO GIRL VS THE WORLD
    away 'til September 1~

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatwo View Post
    Ah, but you see, according to Christians, God is a perfect being who also, somehow, someway, is a creator. Both of those properties are in contradiction with one another. If one is perfect they are complete, full, accomplished, lacking nothing and therefore would have no need for companionship or the desire to create. So either God didn't create us since a perfect creator can't exist, or he's imperfect, and thus not a God.

And as for the whole 'created in his image' concept, it really, really does not make sense to me. A God would have absolutely no need for arms, legs, eyes, a mouth, hands with opposable thumbs or any other human qualities at all. If a God is supposed to be intangible and undetectable (which Christians contend quite often), then that concludes they transcend the physical universe as we know it and exist as non-corporeal entities with no true form at all - nothing physical to interact with, so no need for limbs or a body in general. So therefore humans could not have been created in God's image since God in fact would not have an image.
    I think that human qualities are actually godly qualities. Although i think christian beleif is a bunch of bull I still think that if god does exist we were created not to be able to grasp a concept of how exactly he came to be and how powerful he is becuase of our lack of faith and our literal qualities that were gained from eating the evil apples which fused our kind with evil. They have even found a gigantic eye in a different galaxy that just happens to blink occasionally and constantly looks into our galaxy, ironically they call it the eye of god and science cannot explain it becuase its not meant to explain religious things, it was meant to explain things around the world in a way that we feel we can understand, proof of the eye of god has not been published to the public yet becuase it might send an uproar but i just happened to hack into a file that had it.
    Greatness Reincarnated

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast