Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Theology Megathread

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

Shut up, I can't debate because I can't just pull things off the top of head to argue with other people. I need time to look things up and/or think about my response. And besides it surprises me that you are actually replying to my posts, considering you loath me so much.
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

Quote Originally Posted by DNA Experiment EX001 (Shadow XD) View Post
    Shut up, I can't debate because I can't just pull things off the top of head to argue with other people. I need time to look things up and/or think about my response.
    Oh, so now you actually needed time to think for your response, I thought you plain didn't want to argue with me at all?

And besides it surprises me that you are actually replying to my posts, considering you loath me so much.
    What, you think that i'd pass up the opportunity to shoot you down?
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatwo View Post
    What, you think that i'd pass up the opportunity to shoot you down?
    You think you could shoot me down? You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a rocket launcher even if you were standing inside it.

You think you could shoot me down? You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a rocket launcher even if you were standing inside it.
    I think you almost insulted me. Almost.

And you copped out of debating again, what a shock.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

Hmmm, you didn't recognize an insult, Maybe I should dumb it down a little so the overrated idiot understands.

You couldn't hit sand if you fell of a ship. You couldn't hit water if you fell of a ship. You skull is to thick for your own good. Plain enough? If not then you're hopeless.

As for how I'm copping out I don't know, You changed the conversation, so if you want to debate some than you can go find where the debate ended and this bs started.

Hmmm, you didn't recognize an insult, Maybe I should dumb it down a little so the overrated idiot understands.

You couldn't hit sand if you fell of a ship. You couldn't hit water if you fell of a ship. You skull is to thick for your own good. Plain enough? If not then you're hopeless.
    Hmmm, you didn't recognise plain and obvious sarcasm, maybe I should make it a little clearer so the philosopher wannabe understands.

Your insults are pathetic as is your sad and pitiful attempt to actually strike my nerve. Plain enough? If not, then you're hopeless.

As for how I'm copping out I don't know, You changed the conversation, so if you want to debate some than you can go find where the debate ended and this bs started.
    I'm sorry, but you're the one who changed the subject when you said:
    And besides it surprises me that you are actually replying to my posts, considering you loath me so much.
    You lose.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

And I'm the one that deviated from the topic by replying to that comment? I'm sorry to say, but it seems I have won that one.

And I'm the one that deviated from the topic by replying to that comment? I'm sorry to say, but it seems I have won that one.
    [Edit]: I get it. You seem to be implying that in replying to your comment, I deviated from the topic. Sorry kid, you deviated first, not me. Which comment was offtopic initially? Yours.

You lose.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

You both lose. I win.

The End, thanks for playing!

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

I'd rather live my life saying that God doesn't exist (which is what i've been doing for years), since it frees me from all of that ridiculous religious baggage. Assuming that he exists, for the sake of argument, if God is truly omnibenevolent and all-loving, then there's no possible way that he would judge a person by their beliefs instead of their actions. It's completely illogical that God would allow a mass-murderer into Heaven simply because he believed in him, while a morally sound individual who dedicated their life to helping others gets sent to Hell just because s/he didn't believe. God sure has a twisted sense of justice, or, you know, he just plain doesn't exist. I'll sleep soundly tonight.

Pikatwo: 1
    Christianity: 0

God has no twisted sense of justice when he tells us exactly what he wants from us. If you choose not to believe it, that's your own fault. You can't blame God if he sends you to Hell because you chose not to believe.
    "What luck for rulers that men do not think." ~Adolf Hitler
    "you are gay furthermore you like sex with men" ~god

One of the Seven Deadly Sins of PD: Femme Greed

Conventional literally interpreted Christianity really does have a twisted sense of justice though.

Why is it that Christianity refuse to accept any other forms of belief? I'm personally not a very spiritual person, but I honestly have a respect for other religions such as Buddhism, just for the fact that they accept other beliefs and religions and don't try and stay completely ignorant and oblivious to other opinions.

Next question: A common one. Why do bad things happen to good people?

Why is God so spiteful as to have sent a flood to wipe out the wicked? Is he not supposed to be all forgiving?

Is Mary really a virgin?

I repeat, is life worth living to only do good deeds for a better afterlife? Hell seems to be some kind of pathetic excuse to fear the almighty, rather than love.

If God accepts all, why are there so many different branches of Christianity? They speak about their religion to be the righteous one and bicker among each other claiming to be the more 'pure' and 'true'. Preachers come at my doorstep hoping to convert another naive man, when to me, isn't having just one thing to believe in enough? I am my own God and everything I do I control.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerGirl View Post
    God has no twisted sense of justice when he tells us exactly what he wants from us. If you choose not to believe it, that's your own fault. You can't blame God if he sends you to Hell because you chose not to believe.
    Thanks for entirely missing the point. Go back and re-read my post, then try again.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ok, for those of you who say God and Jesus don't exsist, I have one question that I want you to answer.

Would you rather live your life believing in God and when you die there's nothing, no afterlife, no nothing, or would you rather live your life saying God don't exsist, and when you die, you go to hell and spend the rest of eternity being tortured?
    This is the stupidest talking point ever brought up in any religious debate ever. Do you know how many Gods there are which if you don't believe in them the corresponding religion says you go to hell?

To all who believe in God; Does the same God rule over parallel universes or is there a God for each of them? For that matter, are you likely to meet your double from a parallel Universe in heaven and hell or do each have their own heaven and hells? Do you suppose Jesus was reborn on alien planets as an incarnation of God in the form of whatever dominant sentient beings lived on them?

Thanks for entirely missing the point. Go back and re-read my post, then try again.
    Alright, allow me to add a few things:

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." From 1 Samuel 16:7. If even a murderer were truly sorry for what they did, if they repented and desired for God to turn them around, then yes, God would let them into heaven.

Also, to God, sin is sin. Whether its large or small it doesn't matter, it's still sin. So you would be sent to Hell for stealing a candy bar from the grocery store just as soon as for killing someone. Sin is whatever separates you from God.

Jesus Christ came to save us from that. Humans are slaves to sin. The price to redeem us was a perfect sacrifice. Jesus was that sacrifice. His blood paid the price for our souls. He offers us freedom, and we just have to accept it.
    "What luck for rulers that men do not think." ~Adolf Hitler
    "you are gay furthermore you like sex with men" ~god

One of the Seven Deadly Sins of PD: Femme Greed

Quote Originally Posted by RangerGirl View Post
    Alright, allow me to add a few things:

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." From 1 Samuel 16:7. If even a murderer were truly sorry for what they did, if they repented and desired for God to turn them around, then yes, God would let them into heaven.
    So God looks at the heart of a person? Alright. My mother died a couple of years ago and never in her entire life stole anything, or did what you fundamentalists would consider a 'sin'. She was caring and compassionate and even on her death bed worried more about how everyone else was feeling than she was. She didn't believe in God. This means she is going to Hell? A good-hearted individual. Going to Hell? It's absolutely absurd and completely illogical. It's like the words 'I believe in Jesus!' are a get out of hell free card, no matter what your actions were. Going by your logic, an evil maniac like Hitler would have made it into Heaven simply by believing in God. Do you see how irrational your thinking is? Do you see how illogical God's justice system is? It doesn't make any sense. If God is supposed to look at the heart of an individual, then surely it makes more sense for him to accept someone with a good-heart (like my mother) into heaven than a mass murderer, regardless of their beliefs?

Also, to God, sin is sin. Whether its large or small it doesn't matter, it's still sin. So you would be sent to Hell for stealing a candy bar from the grocery store just as soon as for killing someone. Sin is whatever separates you from God.
    So a child stealing a candy bar from a store is somehow comparable to Hitler committing genocide on millions of innocent people? Right. That sure makes sense.

Jesus Christ came to save us from that. Humans are slaves to sin. The price to redeem us was a perfect sacrifice. Jesus was that sacrifice. His blood paid the price for our souls. He offers us freedom, and we just have to accept it.
    Not a shred of proof exists that confirms Jesus was the son of God, so how exactly am I supposed to believe in his offer of freedom? For all I know he was just an ordinary man who was good with crowds.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

It's stated by the Bible that All Are Sinners. 'For there is no difference; For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.' -Romans 3:22-23. So how is that possible by what you have said:

Whether its large or small it doesn't matter, it's still sin. So you would be sent to Hell for stealing a candy bar from the grocery store just as soon as for killing someone.
    That every single person is sent to Hell? Everyone in the world is a sinner.

Another thing. In the very same chapter the Bible has clearly contridicted itself. Let me demonstrate:
    "As it is written, "There is none righteous, no, not one,". -Romans 3:10
    "In the righteousness of God..." -Romans 3:21

So it is the default destiny of human beings to live on Earth, breed other humans, die and then suffer for eternity. Unless they got turned onto some branch of religion, against which all the countless others compete with and sway us from, which grants us a reprieve. And also, God sent Jesus to be his messenger about 2000 years after Adam and Eve screwed up allowing billions of unenlightened to die and go to Hell without a chance.

"Jesus Christ came to save us from that. Humans are slaves to sin. The price to redeem us was a perfect sacrifice. Jesus was that sacrifice. His blood paid the price for our souls. He offers us freedom, and we just have to accept it."

Not to knock Jesus or anything, but how is sPending a weekend in Hell a perfect sacrifice? I mean, if there are allegedly people who stick it out there for eternity. Heck, I would imagine most of 'em aren't even bad, just unenlightened non-christians who went about their lives waiting to be thrown into Hell forever because SOMEBODY showed up with his message from God a little too late.

"Would you rather live your life believing in God and when you die there's nothing, no afterlife, no nothing, or would you rather live your life saying God don't exsist, and when you die, you go to hell and spend the rest of eternity being tortured?"

Well, the first one, obviously. Sure it would suck to be erased from existence but why go on existing for the longest fathomable length of time if you know that things will only continue to get worse?

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Ok, for those of you who say God and Jesus don't exsist, I have one question that I want you to answer.

Would you rather live your life believing in God and when you die there's nothing, no afterlife, no nothing, or would you rather live your life saying God don't exsist, and when you die, you go to hell and spend the rest of eternity being tortured?
    So many horrible qualities in this statment.

1. Not being a christian does not mean you believe there is no afterlife.

2. Trying to scare people into believing in a religion is pathetic and a sign that the lessons it has to teach really are not worth hearing.

3. Why would you believe what a species that has no possible way of observing the afterlife says about it as absolute fact?

This kind of narrow minded bullshit really gets on my nerves.

Quit derailing this topic, fuckers.

So God looks at the heart of a person? Alright. My mother died a couple of years ago and never in her entire life stole anything, or did what you fundamentalists would consider a 'sin'. She was caring and compassionate and even on her death bed worried more about how everyone else was feeling than she was. She didn't believe in God. This means she is going to Hell? A good-hearted individual. Going to Hell? It's absolutely absurd and completely illogical. It's like the words 'I believe in Jesus!' are a get out of hell free card, no matter what your actions were. Going by your logic, an evil maniac like Hitler would have made it into Heaven simply by believing in God. Do you see how irrational your thinking is? Do you see how illogical God's justice system is? It doesn't make any sense. If God is supposed to look at the heart of an individual, then surely it makes more sense for him to accept someone with a good-heart (like my mother) into heaven than a mass murderer, regardless of their beliefs?

So a child stealing a candy bar from a store is somehow comparable to Hitler committing genocide on millions of innocent people? Right. That sure makes sense.

Not a shred of proof exists that confirms Jesus was the son of God, so how exactly am I supposed to believe in his offer of freedom? For all I know he was just an ordinary man who was good with crowds.
    While I agree with your point pikatwo, this isn't the kind of thing thats ruled by reason or logic since it deals with things outside our sphere of observation and rationale. It does however completely contradict the idea that the christian god is a benevolent father looking after us if it would get bent out of shape over something as petty as mild human skepticism.

happy awesome power kung fu jimmy chow's Avatar

To be honest theology as a whole is simply based on faith and a religiuos explanation for the things that happen in the past, future, and present.

When you bring in science and logic which is the humans way of studying and understanding things in past, future, and present it is 2 conflicting points of veiw that cannot agree. Science derails all religious comments while religious comments derial scientific comments. A never ending cycle being dragged along by people who are as stubborn as a snot bearing brat.

Pointless
    Greatness Reincarnated

I had a weird theological conversation with my mom a few days back. She prays the rosary everyday cuz it's one of the most powerful methods of prayer or something. I asked her what significance actual words have when your praying to an all knowing diety or highly regarded human sPirit. In other words, if I said "Hail Mary full of bananas, the lord is with bananas, blessed are bananas..." with the same conviction as though I was saying the prayer without replacing every other word with bananas, would it be just as effective?

We've reached the plausible conclusion that the virgin Mary or whoever you pray to listens to the actual intent behind the words then the words themselves (which I guess is why we don't pray in Aramaic) and the actual words themselves are for our benefit; effects of sPoken words and repetition being what they are on the human mind.

It's comical watching you people debate this. "ZOMG THEREZ NO GOD LOL LOSER CHRISTIANS" "ZOMG YES THERE IS! BLEAT BLEAT BLEAT!" From what I've come to understand if you look at christianity as a religion, it's on shaky ground. If you look at christianity from a literal standpoint like everything the bible says happened actually happened, you're a fucking moron. Fundamentalist christians are a wonderful example on how well indoctrinating children works. They think "not to lean on their own understanding" and that God holds all the answers but because our mortal minds can't wrap around his awesomeness he holds them from us. Any religion that outright says that rationalizing and thinking too hard are bad things should send up warning signals, fuck warning signals, it's blatant shit at that point, but not to christians, that kinda thing is perfectly acceptable and encouraged. I've debated with numerous christians one on one and not one of them was able to come up with a good reason as to why they believe what they do, and if I didn't get them to seriously doubt what they've had drummed into them I got them to look like total idiots because they had no leg to stand on. Not 2 years ago I avidly defended christianity, now I'm totally against it.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast