Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Theology Megathread

The bible has been altered countless times. This is not even debatable. The original bible probably looked a lot different than the one now. Altering and mistranslation are abundant.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Yeah Jimmy there's nothing strange about it at all. It just happens to be a Nebula that looks like a human eye. It doesn't blink.
    The rest of that post was pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatwo View Post
    I'd rather live my life saying that God doesn't exist (which is what i've been doing for years), since it frees me from all of that ridiculous religious baggage. Assuming that he exists, for the sake of argument, if God is truly omnibenevolent and all-loving, then there's no possible way that he would judge a person by their beliefs instead of their actions. It's completely illogical that God would allow a mass-murderer into Heaven simply because he believed in him, while a morally sound individual who dedicated their life to helping others gets sent to Hell just because s/he didn't believe. God sure has a twisted sense of justice, or, you know, he just plain doesn't exist. I'll sleep soundly tonight.

Pikatwo: 1
    Christianity: 0
    I think it'd be pretty ridiculous for god to judge based solely on actions alone. In a perfect world he'd base his decision based not on what they believed theologically but what they believed was the right thing to do.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need god.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

In times of darkness there comes light. Mystique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedCheetah View Post
    I agree. But the one thing that's always on my mind is about the two ways humans came to be on Earth. Were they the children of Adam and Eve, the first people on Earth, or the evolution of apes?

My family is a bit religious, but we never attend church. I mean, who needs to hear the same thing every week? We only go at Christmas and Easter.
    [

Christmas is actually 95% cultural, and it always has been. Saying people who arent religious shouldn't celebrate Christmas is the stupidest talking point ever. Just gettin it out there.

I don't like it much when people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". For some reason, it gets me pretty upset and fired up inside. Well, most of the time, people from other religions still give each other a whole bunch of gifts and put up Christmas trees and stuff. I agree that anyone can do it if they want to.
    [

In a perfect world we wouldn't need anything. What's your point? It's not like what we need would change how reality was created anyway.

Christmas is a consolidation of most major pagan winter solstice celebrations. Christianity as a whole is pretty much a consolidation of pagan religions.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Squid View Post
    In a perfect world we wouldn't need anything. What's your point? It's not like what we need would change reality.
    It's called a train of thought, Squid, hop aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Squid View Post
    In a perfect world we wouldn't need anything. What's your point? It's not like what we need would change how reality was created anyway.
    Sorry about that. But I doubt there will be a Perfect World, while we're still here. Anyways, it was just a thought.
    [

Christmas is a consolidation of most major pagan winter solstice celebrations. Christianity as a whole is pretty much a consolidation of pagan religions.
    Christianity as a whole actually is not based on pagan religions(this is where ZEITGEIST fucks up with context) but was altered by various countries to make it more acceptable to its mostly-pagan populace when Christianity became the state religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
    I don't like it much when people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". For some reason, it gets me pretty upset and fired up inside. Well, most of the time, people from other religions still give each other a whole bunch of gifts and put up Christmas trees and stuff. I agree that anyone can do it if they want to.
    There's nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays." Some people just are not Christian and do not celebrate Christmas. Political correctness can get out of hand a lot, but "Happy Holidays" does not reach that point - it's just polite.

I guess you're right. To you, what would be the perfect world?
    What I just asked is like something out of a second grade reflection. Oh well.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Christianity as a whole actually is not based on pagan religions(this is where ZEITGEIST fucks up with context) but was altered by various countries to make it more acceptable to its mostly-pagan populace when Christianity became the state religion.
    Christianity is a consolidation of them I didn't say it was based on them. It only partially is, most of the parallels between Christianity and other pagan religions come from either the fairy tales of the old testament or the Jesus figure, who we can't find sufficient enough evidence to say actually existed at all, much less performed the myriad of godly deeds he did. Jesus it's thought is a propaganda piece added by the various gospels at various times to make some form of the jewish religion (however diluted) appealing to the gentiles. At the time the gospels were written jews were under persecution from the romans after a revolution and their religion needed to be varied enough that it would survive.

I don't like debating over stuff like this. I believe in God and the other guy might not and the other guy might believe in an Elephant God. Why do we need to argue about it? Can't we all just get along?

My ban from Serebii should in end in one day.....after that, I'm out:panic:

Quote Originally Posted by Razr12 View Post
    I don't like debating over stuff like this. I believe in God and the other guy might not and the other guy might believe in an Elephant God. Why do we need to argue about it? Can't we all just get along?
    When it comes to personal spiritual beliefs, yes. When it comes to a religion that run the lives of millions of people worldwide and roughly 100 million Americans, when it comes to parents indoctrinating children with outright lies, when it comes to this religion being forced into schools and the government, when it comes to people being expected to accept this religion and this closed minded mentality as normal, and when it comes to people being discriminated against and people trying to pass laws making that discrimination permanent all in the name of this religion, I feel morally obligated to oppose it.

Christianity is a consolidation of them I didn't say it was based on them. It only partially is, most of the parallels between Christianity and other pagan religions come from either the fairy tales of the old testament or the Jesus figure, who we can't find sufficient enough evidence to say actually existed at all, much less performed the myriad of godly deeds he did. Jesus it's thought is a propaganda piece added by the various gospels at various times to make some form of the jewish religion (however diluted) appealing to the gentiles. At the time the gospels were written jews were under persecution from the romans after a revolution and their religion needed to be varied enough that it would survive.
    A lot of Jesus's miracles are actually mistranslations(for example, the passage where he walk on water is almost certainly a mistranslation of the real story that he was walking along the shore and just guided the boat to safety in no real supernatural way). There are Roman documents that Jesus existed, but it can be argued since Christianity was their state religion for a time, they can be in question. There are a lot of non-Christian Greco-Roman historians who make mention or inferences of Jesus. Non-Historicity is considered pretty well debunked by most major historians, I'll have to look into it more in-depth sometime though.

Isn't that kind of a self-defeating statement? Like "You're problem is that you're too judgemental." or a Jedi saying "Only the Sith deal in absolutes!"? Point being, wouldn't a perfect world need to be created by somebody who is, well, perfect? Then again, that's a pretty abstract term. Perfect for who? You? Me? Mother Teresa? Hitler? Martin Luther King Jr? Osama Bin Laden? It can be argued that this is in fact the most perfect of Universes for us. But if not, I guess we can take solace in the probability of parallel dimensions and shit.

There's nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays." Some people just are not Christian and do not celebrate Christmas. Political correctness can get out of hand a lot, but "Happy Holidays" does not reach that point - it's just polite.
    True. Though it kinda irks me when people call Christmas trees "Holiday trees". I wanna sell Menoras and call 'em "Holiday Candle Holders" now.

I agree. But the one thing that's always on my mind is about the two ways humans came to be on Earth. Were they the children of Adam and Eve, the first people on Earth, or the evolution of apes?
    From what I understand, Adam and Eve are a metaphor for the development of agriculture of all things. Fruits from the tree of knowledge meant that we learned how to grow our own crops and didn't have to migrate and gather anymore. This allowed us to settle down, grow idle and make up rules we didn't need before. We lost our animal-like innocence. And the serpent wasn't a metaphore for the devil but rather a Snake goddess from that region who previously held the distinction of creating the Universe in 7 days.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

Okay. Church confuses me a lot, since there are so many theories about things like that. Example, the formation of the universe. The church says that God created them, but scientists say the Big Bang Theorie.
    [

Then you can pick a side or believe neither of those theories are mutually exclusive or just not care either way. Believe what you want. You have my blessing.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

You know, theology vs atheism is a never ending war -.- I just wish everyone would choose their sides and accept everyone elses.

This is the debate topic, you don't have to post here.

This is the debate topic, you don't have to post here.
    Good idea! I don't want to be part of a never ending flame war.

RedCheetah I'm disappointed you didn't dispute the historicity of Jesus. That could have been a fun debate

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast