Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Theology Megathread

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

I didn't know it was from beast wars, I thought it was part of the philosophical quote list you wanted me to look at. It is a cool fucking quote I have to admit.

Edit: watched the episode in question because I was curious. The voice acting was terrible as was the animation. I'm dissapointed.
    Last edited by Giant Squid; 06-01-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Erebussoul

In my opinion most religions in this time are focused on gaining money, now I'm not saying that the religions themselves are wrong or bad, just that they've lost their focus, atleast from what I experience in the united states that's how I feel about it

Just thought I should also mention that it's not just money that is the focus, but power as well, just that most people in the US associate money with power

Some mass religion and cult operations overemphasize donations. But ultimately very few are as wealthmongering as you make them out to be.

Erebussoul

It's not that they're wealth mongering, it's that they turn more towards gaining followers rather than making sure that the followers they have are actually faithful, which is why I decided to add the part about wanting power. I didn't mean they wanted to take over the world or anything, though I'm sure some of them do, but most major religions focus on spreading their word as the one truth, and they do this by having people come to their churches or meetings or whatever else, and nothing is wrong with that, if you remain focused on doing what is preached by your religion, rather than just grabbing at everyone and saying, "this is the truth, believe in it," because half the people who say "okay I believe" truly don't, and it's then that religion has failed, because most modern religions don't care about this, they only care that the people show up and say "okay I believe," and who knows, maybe that's enough for some religions, but to me it should be something about true faith, actually following what your religion says, not just saying you do.

happy awesome power kung fu jimmy chow's Avatar

Christianity has become false in its beliefs, it no longer beleives in peace or any of the morals in the bible they supposedly cherish. Also most of them are highly hipocritical to the point of stupidity such as, someone says something about said religion and they say it is wrong to discriminate their religion but whenever they hear even a sliver of reference to another religion they discriminate as if they hated all. Religion in general is just different beliefs about culture, morals, and daily life and that should be it but they do not stop there they try to push their religion on others even if they refuse.

Put it simply it is not that religion is wrong it is the people who beleive in that religion.
    Greatness Reincarnated

profound kung fu, very profound.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebussoul View Post
    It's not that they're wealth mongering, it's that they turn more towards gaining followers rather than making sure that the followers they have are actually faithful, which is why I decided to add the part about wanting power. I didn't mean they wanted to take over the world or anything, though I'm sure some of them do, but most major religions focus on spreading their word as the one truth, and they do this by having people come to their churches or meetings or whatever else, and nothing is wrong with that, if you remain focused on doing what is preached by your religion, rather than just grabbing at everyone and saying, "this is the truth, believe in it," because half the people who say "okay I believe" truly don't, and it's then that religion has failed, because most modern religions don't care about this, they only care that the people show up and say "okay I believe," and who knows, maybe that's enough for some religions, but to me it should be something about true faith, actually following what your religion says, not just saying you do.

i normally don't bitch about these kinds of things but if you could make things multiple paragraphs that would be a much easier read.

So you're saying they should check up on followers to make sure they are following the rules? Following behind their subscribers and punishing those who go against the doctrine is a terrible idea, it would accomplish the opposite effect that you said you wanted and only make mass religion more oppressive than its current incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal View Post
    profound kung fu, very profound.
    Agreed, very nice Jimmy.

Erebussoul

I'm not saying that they should punish their followers, just be wary of who they allow to affiliate with their religion. I believe that if they preach a set of moral standards then they should only allow those that follow those moral standards in their religion, not punishment exactly, but if you do something that your religion feels is morally wrong then you shouldn't be able to call yourself a follower of that religion, no matter who you are.

What if your god, then can you get away with it?
    Greatness Reincarnated

I'm not saying that they should punish their followers, just be wary of who they allow to affiliate with their religion. I believe that if they preach a set of moral standards then they should only allow those that follow those moral standards in their religion, not punishment exactly, but if you do something that your religion feels is morally wrong then you shouldn't be able to call yourself a follower of that religion, no matter who you are.
    The ability to atone for you mistakes is a cornerstone in Christianity and many other group religions. Making church into an exclusive club would further betray the whole concept.

The concept of the church (The Catholic in particular) is already swimming with massive hypocrisy and elitism.

I don't see any reason for such organized religion if groups of people (such as homosexuals) will be shunned for their ways, in many cases forced to admit their "sins"

Why people just don't practice what they want ALONE is beyond me
    When the Devil is too busy
    And Death's a bit too much
    They call on me by name you see,
    For my special touch.

Butts and boobies, cheaters and whores, you're a slut and a fan of all this and more... ThunderzLegacy's Avatar
    With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

I was raised Christian, but I find myself losing passion for my religion.

A lot.
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE="1"]Pairs: The Blind Eye of Deception [DSX] | The Ninjassassin [Sasuke] | The Hadouken! [The Azn Party Boy]

I hope you aren't letting the blatant biased hate of religion on this forum and in most of daily life get to you.

Butts and boobies, cheaters and whores, you're a slut and a fan of all this and more... ThunderzLegacy's Avatar
    With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

ahaha... no. I'm pretty sure that's not it. I've just been finding it more and more difficult to believe in the things I've been taught about.. all that Christian stuff. I can't really put my finger on why, though.
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE="1"]Pairs: The Blind Eye of Deception [DSX] | The Ninjassassin [Sasuke] | The Hadouken! [The Azn Party Boy]

Everyone questions their faith sometime or another. It's basic human nature to ask questions and think about the world. That's why we've come so far developmentally.

I'm a Roman Catholic and a misanthrope so I pretty much look down on all but pretty girls. Whatever. Recently, I came across a bit of a paradox.

Why does God let terrible things happen to good people? A question continuously asked but answered just as often, usally something in the form of 'to test our faith' because 'the joys and pains of this life are nothing compared to the ones of Heven and Hell.' Fair enough, except for one little detail...

Why does anybody test anything? Or anyone for that matter? To see what will happen. That's great and all for us on Earth but WE'RE not OMNISIENT!(sP?) Why would an all knowing God, a perfect God who always has been and always will be, a God with a Master plan for all need to test anybody's faith?

One can argue that since we have free will, the paths we take are our own yadda yadda whatever. If a God we can't even communicate with directly only knows our fates and nobody else does, well then by all means isn't that the same as having free will? I realize that the idea of our destinies being written in stone is an uncomfortable thought to many but I mean honestly, what can you not do just because only God knows what'll happen?

Considering how the highly religious often accuse people of underestimating God's power, I think it's hypocritical that they buy into the idea that God is obligated to test us for our faith as if he wouldn't already know the outcome. And frankly, 2 qualities that make me NOT want to put my faith into such a diety would be

1) Him not exactly knowing what's going to happen.

2) Not having faith in me either.

Thats very simple to figure out, bad things happen to good people becuase they go to heaven after its all done, guess he thinks be greatful that your goin to heaven you ungrateful bastards.
    Greatness Reincarnated

That's only if you make the assumption that if theres a god monitoring it is an altruistic being who only wants the good of all people. You also have to assume it's "perfect", whatever that's supposed to mean. Perfection has too nebulous a definition to be applied to anything in a serious tone. You also assume he's all powerful and can see all inevitable outcomes of existence.

There are a lot of essentially baseless assumptions being made, but I guess thats to be expected from someone whose arguments only purpose was to rage against Christianity.
    Last edited by Giant Squid; 08-11-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jimmy chow View Post
    Thats very simple to figure out, bad things happen to good people becuase they go to heaven after its all done
    that's all good and fair, but if we are to be surrounded by love and joy when we die, why not fill our lives with it while we are alive? Is this almighty and loving God afraid to share joy with mortals?

No, but bad people go to hell, they will get no more happiness but only the highest level of punishment, being burned and killed for all eternity. Good people go to heaven and acquire the greatest gift, eternal happiness.

When you look at it like that its only fair, he is giving them their happiness before they go to hell.
    Greatness Reincarnated

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderzLegacy View Post
    ahaha... no. I'm pretty sure that's not it. I've just been finding it more and more difficult to believe in the things I've been taught about.. all that Christian stuff. I can't really put my finger on why, though.
    My family never taught me christianty, I taught it myself. I never went to church, I never was baptised. But, I'm really christian. PD are just fags.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderzLegacy View Post
    geez who interperates christianity listerally anyway

Advanced Trainer

People don't believe in christianity to be unique. Christianity is "old". o:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast