Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Theology Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by Razr12 View Post
    Good idea! I don't want to be part of a never ending flame war.
    What flame war? There is no flame war going on in this thread, it's intelligent discussion and debate. Stop posting if you're not going to add anything.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

In times of darkness there comes light. Mystique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razr12 View Post
    Good idea! I don't want to be part of a never ending flame war.
    Razr12, you make no sense at all. I don't think you understand what the word flame is, so if I was you I would be quiet and stop acting like such a n00b. A debate is not a flame war, it is a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints. Just thought you should know how utterly dumb you sounded back there.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    RedCheetah I'm disappointed you didn't dispute the historicity of Jesus. That could have been a fun debate
    Fine then, what sources do you have that are A) non-biblical, B) not likely tampered with by the romans, and C) backed by the historians you said supported them, that show Jesus actually existed.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedCheetah View Post
    It's called a train of thought, Squid, hop aboard.
    What are you even talking about TA?

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Squid View Post
    What are you even talking about TA?
    Someone mentioned god in a perfect world, I added on to that and said we wouldn't need god in a perfect world. Instead of saying "In a perfect world we really wouldn't need anything." and stopped at there which would have come off as part of the train of thought if not saying the obvious, but then you say "What's your point? ZOMG Hypotheticals they blow my fragile mind." Then I call you on being annoying, then you wonder what I'm talking about, and here we are.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedCheetah View Post
    Someone mentioned god in a perfect world, I added on to that and said we wouldn't need god in a perfect world. Instead of saying "In a perfect world we really wouldn't need anything." and stopped at there which would have come off as part of the train of thought if not saying the obvious, but then you say "What's your point? ZOMG Hypotheticals they blow my fragile mind." Then I call you on being annoying, then you wonder what I'm talking about, and here we are.
    Not really, your comment could have meant a variety of things. Don't blame me for the fact you're overly vague since it's not nearly as obvious as you pretend it to be. I don't even know what the hypothetical itself has to do with anything considering my beef was with the seemingly arbitrary comment, but - you know - whatever you need to fill the ravenous black hole that functions as your self esteem.

10 Things Christians & Atheists Can & Must Agree On
    http://www.cracked.com/article_15759...-agree-on.html

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

There's my debate
    -.---.----..

That's always really been more of a metamorphosis but yeah.

This thread has become some religious photo dump

UP HIGH NIDOGOD
    -.---.----..

Banned

Personally, I don't think any of it really happens as it has been recorded. I'll admit that there was probably a guy called Jesus that went around preaching but I assume that most of the stories told are works of fiction. For instance, when Jesus apparently made the water into wine, I don't think he did. I'd say he was telling a story about someone who turned water into wine in order for the people listening to learn some sort of lesson and then as they told other people, and the other people told even more people, it became a game of Chinese whispers, until some people had received the clouded version of story where Jesus was the one that turned the water into wine and then that became the regular story and the bible writers decided to go along with it or believed it, I don't know. Personally, I'd say my (and loads of other's) theory has some grain of truth in.

Well, at a wedding such as was described at which Jesus turned the water into wine it would have been very bad if enough wine was not provided. It was a very serious affair to provide your wedding guests with nice food and drink. If the young couple would not have pleased their guests said individuals would have been permitted to sue the couple and possibly bankrupt them.

So when Mary went to Jesus with the problem he very well may have provided wine at his own expense for the newlyweds out of kindness and generosity. With retelling it may have went from providing wine into turning water into wine.

It started out as a story of Jesus' great kindness and benevolence and turned into a miracle when they went to make him divine.

That makes good sense to me.

John 2

1And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:

2And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.

3And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.

4Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

5His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

6And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

7Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.

8And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.

9When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,

10And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

11This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.
    That passage provides a wonderful example of what the roman people who rewrote that story thought of women, (or perhaps only King James' translators,) as Jesus put his MOTHER in her place right there. Instead of saying, "Sweet mother" or 'Wonderful woman who has given me life" he called her "WOMAN!"

I've always thought that was a bit sexist. But, at least he went on to pull the young couples taters out of the oven as his mother requested.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

It started out as a story of Jesus' great kindness and benevolence and turned into a miracle when they went to make him divine.
    yeah that is basically the story of the entire bible

DBLPST

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Is that the moral of the story, Nidogod?

the moral of the story is there is no less interesting topic of debate than religion

Ah yes, everyone loves debating upon man's greatest stupidity.

No, the moral is that there's no way of resurrecting a dying sticky thread better than with a cleverly written motivational poster.

Cleverly written motivational posterer?

Debating about religion is one of the pathetically sad things humans are able to do. It's not that I have a problem with theology, it's more the fact that no living human will ever be able to prove there is a God or not and we aren't going to be told by the deceased members of society so why do the human race constantly bicker about whether or not there is a God? Religion is all about belief, it is called faith after all. Nobody can use belief nor faith as evidence to win an argument and I therefore deem this thread ridiculous.

You know that it's time to go when you don't need to try to be cool.

People debate about it because it is the only thing to debate about without stopping.

So, where's all the animistic religious love? Voodoo, Shamanism, Taoism, Ancestor Worship. Certainly they have places in this discussion. And they really aren't that far out there. The idea that everything, even inanimate objects have some sort of dormant spirit is appealing. If these things can be appeased or reasoned with to make life easier, well that's a nice thought. And I know lots of people talk to their cars, whispering for them to work just a little bit better, hang in just a bit longer before they break down. The whole thought of it is incredibly appealing, to me at least.

Or I could be a whackjob.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

All the Presidents have been lying pagans, apparently.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast