Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Theology Megathread

most presidents have probably been secular and just used religion to control the masses

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

54% of American Catholics (25% of the American adult population) voted for Obama, who is pro-choice.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twig View Post
    Debating about religion is one of the pathetically sad things humans are able to do. It's not that I have a problem with theology, it's more the fact that no living human will ever be able to prove there is a God or not and we aren't going to be told by the deceased members of society so why do the human race constantly bicker about whether or not there is a God? Religion is all about belief, it is called faith after all. Nobody can use belief nor faith as evidence to win an argument and I therefore deem this thread ridiculous.
    Yeah, it's a completely meaningless exercise considering the complete subjectivity of the matter during life. Even were this not the case the fact that it's completely beyond logical comprehension makes something that is pretty much entirely based on logic, like arguing, a really stupid buffer to run things of that nature through. But I'd rather have them all in one place than popping up all over the forum so here we are.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qoorl View Post
    So, where's all the animistic religious love? Voodoo, Shamanism, Taoism, Ancestor Worship. Certainly they have places in this discussion. And they really aren't that far out there. The idea that everything, even inanimate objects have some sort of dormant spirit is appealing. If these things can be appeased or reasoned with to make life easier, well that's a nice thought. And I know lots of people talk to their cars, whispering for them to work just a little bit better, hang in just a bit longer before they break down. The whole thought of it is incredibly appealing, to me at least.

Or I could be a whackjob.
    I find a lot of my beliefs mesh with animism more than anything else, so no, you're not alone.

The other Cylons call me Triclops. ShadowRaven's Avatar

Perhaps it is better if we treated the Bible like the Illiad? I think that is a healthy compromise, is it not? After all, the Bible DOES contain some pretty important moral understandings of human nature. Then again, so does Stephen King's The Stand ...

ShadowRaven

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

Somewhat agree, but we should critically analyze it's origins so as to prevent such a catastrophe like Christianity from ever happening again.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I find that the Torah (5 books of Moses) itself is incredibly inaccurate. But the books after such are historically valid. If you take out all the moral blabbering you could have a historical account of the Middle East over one thousand years.

Indeed, but the books are so opinionated and biased towards any group outside Christianity that it tarnishes any accuracy that the books may have had. The slaughter of entire civilizations merely due to their faith is something that is horrifyingly reflected in today's conflicts in the Middle East, and the fact that it is glorified in the Old Testament (and some passages in the New Testament) represents, in my opinion, one of humanity's greatest mistakes.

I am not saying that Christianity hasn't bought good to the table, or athiesm hasn't caused problems, but the good that this religion has done is far outweighed by the many atrocities it has caused. There is no justification for it, whether or not God exists.

ShadowRaven

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
    Albert Einstein

Unless of course it's all true and God is a total dick who'll let you sPend eternity in Hell for worshipping him the wrong way.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

What's so bad about atheism?

Digimon Tamer/Digidestined Celestial Blade's Avatar

I might've been baptised as a Catholic as a baby, but now I am sure there probably ISN'T a God, and I am also a COMMUNIST... and damn proud of it!

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Communism isn't a religion.........

What kind of communism?

Well, if you're sure there probably isn't a God, that's not very certain is it?

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

To all the girls that wanna join my tribe, just move to my rhythm and feel my vibe Echolalia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Blade View Post
    I might've been baptised as a Catholic as a baby, but now I am sure there probably ISN'T a God, and I am also a COMMUNIST... and damn proud of it!
    Your name is Celestial Blade...
    Quote Originally Posted by Octazooka View Post
    globs of wet snow raining on me

I'm not saying that athiesm is bad, but both atheism and religion (okay, maybe not Buddism) have fallen into morally grey territory, and will continue to do so well into the future. Athiests, remember Stalin. Christians, remember...well, a lot of things. Yes, we can say that all these instances were caused by corruption of the core beliefs behind them, but humans aren't perfect, it's always going to happen. Phasing out one belief over the other isn't going to lead to a perfect world. Perhaps Benjamin from George Orwell's Animal Farm sums up my post best;

"He believed, windmill or no windmill, life would go on as it always had; that is, badly."

Mental note: Choose better quote.

ShadowRaven

Albert Einstein

Oh for fuck's sake you cannot pin Stalin on atheism. He did nothing in the name of atheism. He just took advantage of communism.

And you can't corrupt the core belief "I think God doesn't exist," which is the only belief in atheism.

[Original title goes here] ninja's Avatar

Not really a personal oppinion, but more of a topic of debate that actually has substance instead of all the attrocities this thread has brought to the surface.

"If" God exists, then using the laws of science, for him to have created the universe, he would have to be outside the universe, A.K.A outside the universe's dimension.
    The same applies if you view the subject from a Christian perspective, because Christians believe God created science and the laws therein.

I'm not great on the subject of extradimensional physics, but I do know there are several layers of dimensions out there, the one above ours being time, or the 4th dimension. Would God also have to exist outside of time to create time, since according to Christian perspective, God has always been? There are several more layers, including alternate realities, etc.

Topic: Discuss the POSIBILITIES of God existing in the uppermost dimension, and the science involved to explain/disprove that.
    :yes:

Science doesn't care if God exists or not. Why? Because every definition of God makes his existence non-empirical, which means science doesn't apply. Anyone looking for conclusive scientific proof of God's existence will, if they succeed, be met with a God who isn't the God people seem to be looking for.

[Original title goes here] ninja's Avatar

I'm completely lost in that statement.
    But.
    What I'm saying is that it could be possible for a being to be in a dimension higher than ours, and that, if the comparison is accurate between the third and second dimensions, in that we can create and manipulate things in the second dimension.

Could such a being in a higher plane of existence manipulate our dimension as we do that of the second dimension?

It is not an arguement of whether or not God does or does not exist, but that of if it is possible for a God or god-like being to exist, much like the simple arguement that hell "Could" exist, simply because we know of several places in which a "lake of fire" could be present, such as the Earth's core. Keep in mind that is a simple discussion meant to simply open up the mind to new possibilities, not to enforce a specific belief.
    :yes:

Yes it's possible.

Oh for fuck's sake you cannot pin Stalin on atheism. He did nothing in the name of atheism. He just took advantage of communism.
    "And who can deny that Stalin and Mao, not to mention Pol Pot and a host of others, all committed atrocities in the name of a Communist ideology that was explicitly atheistic? Who can dispute that they did their bloody deeds by claiming to be establishing a 'new man' and a religion-free utopia? These were mass murders performed with atheism as a central part of their ideological inspiration, they were not mass murders done by people who simply happened to be atheist." - Dinesh D'Souza, WIKIPEDIA
    And you can't corrupt the core belief "I think God doesn't exist," which is the only belief in atheism.
    In contexts where theism is defined as the belief in a singular personal god, for example, people who believe in a variety of other deities have been classified as atheists, including deists (such as Thomas Paine) and even polytheists; conversely, the ancient Romans accused Christians of being atheists, for not worshipping the pagan gods...With respect to the range of phenomena being rejected, atheism may counter anything from the existence of a god, to the existence of any spiritual, supernatural, or transcendental concepts, such as those of Hinduism and Buddhism. WIKIPEDIA

ShadowRaven
    Last edited by ShadowRaven; 01-12-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Because I feel like it.

Albert Einstein

stalin and mao presided over unprecedented increases in life expectancy, literacy rates, and food security.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast