Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disabilities Ethics

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Well, you can't deny that that's what you do when you eat something that was once alive.
    But dont compare an animal with a human being...

Quote Originally Posted by Myuu View Post
    But dont compare an animal with a human being...
    Why not? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I've heard people say stuff like this in abundance but with no explanation as to why. What is so horrendous about being compared to an animal? Humans are essentially animals; the only thing that separates us is our mental state.

I'm too sexy for my shirt Kryzoz's Avatar

I have Cerebral Palsy and was diagnosed with Asperger's at 17 years of age so I fit in both catagories. As far as autism goes: autistic people with abnormally high intellegence or exemplary skills are called savants.I am not a savant, but I am a high functioning adult. Can I carry on a conversation? Do I like to? no. Does that qualify as auspergers? I haven't the faintest clue.
    Now for cerebral palsy. Would I like to be cured? Absolutely not. I would've liked for it not to happen in the first place, but at 21 years old I feel that my CP has made me who I am. It would be quite awkward being whole all of the sudden for me.
    Now for my opinion on stem cell reserch. There is a difference between disabilities and diseases. Diseases should be cured by stem cell research, but there should be a window of time to cure disabilites. The time window should be between conception and the time the parent/child becomes aware of the disability. Those are my thoughts
    -Kryzoz
    I'm bringing sexy forward

there was an autistic kid that went to the summer program i go to, and he seemed to actually not really care that he was autistic, and it was hard to tell if he was. but i don't understand the cure autism stuff. autism is a disability, and is not a curable thing, like a disease. so, with that said, stem-cell reasearch is a waste of time. it's not like sticking a "cure autism" sticker on a gumball machine is going to change the world.
    derp

monkeyvirus

Yes but at least it shows people care enough to help even helping one person in your lifetime is worth years of hard work. Once again it should be noted the patient and not their parents or carers should themselves decide how the want to be helped and any options for a possible cure should be looked into for those who want it.

I just want to raise a slightly different point about IVF you know you can choose to not be given back eggs which have a genetic disorder like CF surely you have just killed a child when you make that choice? I mean by choosing not to have that child you havent "cured" them, which many of my classmates seem to believe, you've simply chosen the healthier one. Thats why I dont believe in IVF or stem cell research though the research is necessary and i wouldnt directly oppose it i myself would never have IVF because I believe its as good as killing the child.

I've thought about it, and now I agree with monkeyvirus. You're basically saying, " Sure. Let's kill my kid, so they can be 'better'. I don't care, they're only my flesh and blood." I think it's cruel, now that I think about it.
    derp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12