Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant

Registered Users Regular Walrus's Avatar

Default Rant

I need to rant, so here I go:

Pokemon has been milked for all its worth. I was really mad when they remade R/B/Y because I thought the old games were fine the way they were. But nooooo, they have to milk out all the money they can from the franchise. I swear to god, Nintendo has milked Pokemon for all its worth and more. When they start remaking games that can still run on the current systems, that's pretty sad. I mean, it's one thing if you remake an SNES game for the GBA because SNES isn't played often anymore, but R/B/Y can still be played on a GBA.

Or the show. Jesus tapdancing Christ. How long has that show been running? Ten years? The show lost its charm by the 2nd season and yet they're still milking it. Part of what makes things have success is when they end.

For instance, compare the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Of the two bands, who is remembered more? The Beatles, of course. Why? Because they broke up after a few years, and the Rolling Stones kept going. The Rolling Stones music was mediocre (in my opinion) when they started, and now their music is shit because they went on for too long. You can only have so many new ideas after a while after all.

Let's compare Final Fantasy to Pokemon. Final Fantasy has been a video game series even longer than Pokemon and has published about four times as many games. However, Final Fantasy is still running strong, while Pokemon is under scrutiny for losing its creativity. Why? Well, let's examine that. First off, Final Fantasy has a different concept every game. Some basic things are the same, like the battle system or some recurring characters like Cid, moogles, and chocobos. Pokemon is the same concept, over and over, with just new characters replacing some of the older ones. Now, where's the fun in that?

Believe me, I do enjoy Pokemon. R/B/Y and G/S/C were great, and I still enjoy playing them. But the other games just make me mad. Has anyone played Pokemon Channel? That's a G-R-E-A-T example of milking the franchise.

For those of you who don't know what Pokemon Channel is, I'll explain it for you. Pokemon Channel is a shitty game that was slapped together with little effort. You know what you do in it? YOU WATCH TV WITH PIKACHU. Oh my god, that's soooooooooooo exciting. Yeah, I always wanted to spend my time watching Squirtle sell items on TV, Slowpoke reporting on the weather and Smoochums doing a workout show. So anyway, this Pikachu appears at your house one day and insists on watching tv. There the game begins, and every day you have to watch tv with Pikachu. If you try going outside, Pikachu gets mad at you because it wants to watch more tv. What's really sad is the way you beat the game. You have to watch every single one of the tv shows and purchase a bunch of items.

Apparently Nintendo believed most Pokemon fans are braindead, bed-ridden, drooling vegetables who enjoy spending their money on crap like Pokemon Channel. I can't see any other explanation as to why they would publish such a terrible game. Had it been a stand-alone title with no connection to Pokemon, it would never have even been contemplated in the video game world. But because it had something to do with Pokemon, they shipped it off and expected it to sell. Hey, as long as the Pokemon label's on it, people will buy it, right?

*claps*
    -.---.----..

the world is spinnin but im not afraid Cool Latios's Avatar

*imitates*

*is too busy restarting Sapphire version to care*

When the Devil is too busy
    And Death's a bit too much
    They call on me by name you see,
    For my special touch.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Puzzle League (I still play it at least once a week!!11) were good. Then again... They came out about 5 years before Pokemon Channel did.
    In fact, lots of the games on the 64 were good. I really liked the one where you can talk to Pikachu.

DSX

Hell, Stadium and Stadium 2 owned. Complimented G/S/C and R/B/Y(Stadium2), Mini games you would play whenever you had company over (if they were into pokemon that is). You even had some sort of school to "teach" you things you might not have known that could benefit you later(Stadium2 again). It had a bit of something everyone.

My original Stadium game doesnt work anymore. I need to get a new copy...
    For my special touch.

Pokémon

"What the hell does rant mean?" - Peter Gryffon.

I agree though, Pokémon has been milked way longer than it should've been.

They've gone on so long that they're refused advertisement. I don't even KNOW what the hell Pokémon channel is.

Isn't the idea of shadow pokemon a good one though?
    Bulba Palace

Bulbasaur Card Mistake
    Go here http://pokebeach.com/sets/baseset.html Then look for card #44. Then look at it's stats. It's lenght is 15 lbs??

PD's Favorite Anti-Hero

No.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

I've found they've kept the original games fresh over the years, Emerald has been more epic than all of the previous versions and a lot of the new pokemon are interesting, and with every addition it adds a new dimension to game play (moves, types, lineups, etc.). Not to mention the story for each game has definitely improved since the original. I say they go ahead and milk the games but I could really care less if they got rid of all the rest.

I would disagree, and while i would normally tear it down sentence by sentence, i'll just make a lump opinion

As far as pokemon games go, they're still good. The goal is still the same, but how you get there is far and away the better part. We all know when we pick up a game that we're (traditionally) going to collect badges and beat the elite fourplusone group at the end.

Remaking r/b was one of the best things i've seen the franchise do. The reason it was done was because r/b/y had so many retarded things in it, and the game has been remodified substantially since the originals were out, so people started wanting to see what the old game was like on the new system. In r/b/y, there was no dark type or steel type. Flamethrower wasn't a TM, psychic types were unmatched as the best type in the game because the only ghost attack was lick (night shade does set damage it doesn't count), there was no dark type or steel type(again) and there were only 2 bug attacks and they both sucked. Not to mention that anything using said bug or ghost attacks WAS WEAK TO PSYCHIC. Meanwhile psychic was only resisted by itself. Special attack and defense were one stat. The majority of used moves were based off special attack, so things like Alakazam would be able to tank and rape you back with ease. If you played any of the games recently, you'd notice psychic isn't nearly the force it used to be. This was because of many needed improvements the games made.

r/b/y also had retarded glitches. A Venasaur, who is supposed to be neutral to earthquake, would actually be weak to it. This was because the game never balanced types. If you were weak to ground as a poison type, but resisted it as a grass type, you'd still take a super effective hit. That was changed.

Also, in r/b/y you had no traits, no natures, no hold items. Your bag had maybe 15-20 spots for ALL items. Pokeballs, items and key items. You couldn't breed anything to pass moves. Your TMs included moves that almost no pokemon learn anymore like skull bash and razor wind. If your pokemon couldn't learn psychic or earthquake, it sucked. All of these things were needed to change, and DP raises the bar again by splitting what attacks are based on how they hit instead of types.

As for other games, pokemon snap, colosseum, stadium, and XD are the only ones i played. I don't play the other ones because i know they suck.

The anime is 99% crap. The only time i watch it is when someone catches a new pokemon or when there's a battle. Out of who knows how many episodes, over the years i've only seen the original kanto series in whole. Over the rest of the 7 or 8 years, i've only seen what i mentioned above. Guess what? I'm pretty up to date on the story too . They're called anime fillers, when James goes to play with Koffing and stuff, learn to avoid them.

Bring this to misc next time so i can respond sooner.

bravo FM, oh and koffing kicks ass
    For my special touch.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Pokemon can be fun, but I sometimes can get annoyed. The R/B/Y original sucked somewhat though, as it was lacking in the factors FM mentioned. One good glitch though, is the ability to clone pokemon. Heck, the ability to clone is one of the base factors, when you think of pokemon cheats, you think cloning pokemon.

The anime was good at first. It facinated me. I found it quite original. Halfway through the Johto seasonthough, it started sucking, badly. By now it really is crap. Whenever I see it I think Oh, god, Pokemon and quickly flip channels. All the characters became too happy or sad. It especially get retarded when one of Ash's pokemon get hit and Ash groans like he was hit himself.

I found G/S/C fun. One concept that I really liked was the changing of events between night and day, and the radio. I also liked the fact that they showed more humane ways of the utilization of pokemon. For instance, to the Northwest of the Johto region, there is a farm filled with Miltanks. I liked walking in between them. It helped improve my directional skills.

On thing that dissapointed me in R/S/E was the loss of time events and radio. One thing that I got hooked on though were Secret Bases. I bought everything available from on top of the Lilycove apartment store (when they have the sale) and put it in my base. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I have a cool secret base. People are always asking me "Were did you get that slide" and "You got a battling platform? How?" Another thing I found amusing was the seviper shaped battle frontier building.

Pokemon coloseum was fun. I loved battling my friend on the same console. One thing I found dissapointing though, was that XD didn't have multiplayer. Fun adventure, but it takes away the basis of Pokemon Colloseum, since there isn't that much of a coloseum.

I'm planning on getting Pokemon Daimond, as much as it will have new types of contests, a new generation of pokemon, and a new region, it also has Wi-Fi. Begone link cable, you have no power here.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

The pokemon manga was actually a lot more interesting than the tv show since I think Ash and Misty get it on and Brock is actually quite suave. The TV show was missing a lot of the characters personality traits and tended to take one and blow it out of proportion. Pretty lame all and all.

They get it on? 4rl?

Strawberry Lemonaid Signal Flare's Avatar

I actually appreciate the new ones more, becuase the old ones hurt my eyes.
    Pairs: MPT, Panda Rocker, MEX, SuikunMyuu, Zapdos, CL, Link, Revan, DSX, Kelsh, and Goku!

Registered Users Regular Walrus's Avatar

Ah, I forgot to mention the stadiums and other N64 games. The two stadiums were great - lots of mini games and you could even play your game on tv without buying some super expensive crap device that would let you play your games on tv. Snap was great, too. I still enjoy it to this day (though that fucking mew really pisses me off when it flies away when I break its bubble).

Colosseum. What a joke. I mean really, that game was horrible. You had this annoying little bitch who followed you everywhere and had no real positive purpose. I personally believe Nintendo put her in there to annoy the masses. On top of that, the storyline was so dry. Oh no, Team Snagem is here and they're stealing pokemon. Oh wait, this happened several times already. On top of that, you had to purify pokemon. Others may have liked this part but I really didn't. I don't like having to spend hours upon hours upon hours trying to unlock some good moves for a pokemon. And they don't level up until you purify them, so if it takes you a while to unlock their heart, they get killed by everything as you go farther into the game. Also, if you didn't catch a Pokemon at a certain point in the game, you couldn't get that pokemon. So basically you were screwed if you wanted to meet Ho-Oh or something.

XD. Same concept. Basically the same storyline. The only interesting feature about that game was you got to catch wild pokemon, as opposed to Colosseum, where you couldn't. And the character's sister was a total loser. I really hate people who speak in the third person and she was an annoying little fuck anyway. The only interesting character in that game was the Miror B. dude because he had some pretty snazzy dance moves and catchy music (though his Ludicolos were always a bitch to beat).

Hmm. What other console spinoffs were there? I never played Puzzle League. It didn't look very interesting. ...There was Hey You Pikachu, which I never played either. I was going to get it at one point but then I heard all these bad things about it, so I didn't.

Oh. Oh. Oh. Here we go. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. A FAILURE. That game was so horrible. Let's examine it:

So you wake up as a Pokemon. Pretty good. Then you meet an annoying sidekick who doesn't know how to shut up. Bad. You start up your club and you can recruit Pokemon. Good. The dungeons are all randomly generated, giving you a frustrating maze format. Bad. It takes you forever to level up. Bad. You can only use special moves on a limited basis. Bad. The third pokemon in your party is largely ineffective because it usually isn't at the right angle to attack. Bad. Your partners tend to get separated from the group, singled out by wild pokemon, and killed. Very bad. The storyline was shallow with predictable storyline turns and sappy dialogue. Very, very bad. You could beat the game very, very quickly. Very bad.

As you can see, I didn't think too highly of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. As soon as I beat it, I put it somewhere and never touched it again. I don't even remember where I put it now, and I don't even care. It was a total waste of money.

After wasting my money on a horrible product, I didn't even bother getting Pokemon Ranger. Good thing, too, because it got horrible reviews across the board.

Oh, and by the way, I checked out the 4th generation pokemon. They really suck, but I'll get the game anyway because I'm going to give Game Freak another chance not to fuck things up.

and now they're making a second Pokemon ranger

It stopped being good with FF7, btw.

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

Here's me.. Lookin' at you! Fallen_Wings's Avatar

Pokemon, when you play the R/B/Y, it IS considered as the best game in the GBC.
    BUT, as soon you play G/S/C, it IS SO FUCKING AWESOME.

It is the only Pokemon game that have the feature of coming back to the previous region, which is Kanto.

When they made R/S/E, it IS SO FUCKING BAD. IT REDUCES ALL THE FEATURE IN G/S/C.

And, the D/P, they made it VERY WORSE.

We'll wait for the 3rd game of D/P. Hope it'll be good.
    Pairs:
    dragonberry-Kittsuera-The Editor-dramakween308-Bluebabe kitten-Trixie

SMILE!
    Super Melancholy Irrational Living Entity. that's me~ hehe

The watchers on the wall dragon_berry's Avatar

The third game from D/P will be similar to the previous games. So I guess it won't be much of a surprise. Pokemon sacrificed their graphic and try to covered them with their amazing gameplay. But now even the gameplay started to get boring. I kinda like Mystery Dungeon thou.

~DB
    --A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world--

Fallen_wings Global "Warming" Poke_Hunter Eon Spirit Trixie God

Silver_Espeon, Myuu, Shadow and The Editor

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

I'd have to agree with most opinions here, even though I didn't hop on the bandwagon until ruby and sapphire came out.

I've got and have played pokemon channel, and to tell the truth, it sucks out loud. I have Pokemon coliseum and pokemon xd, but I was newer to pokemon then, had it not been for the legends and my lack of experience, I probably would have never touched these titles.

Let's see, I've got yellow and silver, both were amazing until they broke (I have got to find new copies). I have Sapphire and emerald, I love sapphire, I don't think I even started a game on emerald. Firered was ok-ish, not quite as great as the original. Diamond, heh, I've beaten this game once. I restarted after a massive screw up and have been too bored by it to play it since. Overall, when I look at these games and the ones like it, I can line them up and there's the story of the decline of pokemon.

Mystery dungeon 1 and 2, got both, too bored to play them. On the first one, I got k.o.ed in a dungeon after beating the game and have been too bored to play it since. On the second one, I'm half way through the game and can't be bothered to pick it back up for any period of time because it's so repetitive. As for pokemon ranger, that was a suckfest on ice.

As I said before, take all the pokemon games there are, put them in a line from oldest to newest, and you will have "The Story of Pokemon: From Greatness to Massive Suckfest".

Btw, has anyone noticed that this thread, for the most part, has been only about the games? There was mention of the tv shows, but other than that, nothing about the card game or any of the other crap.
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

Things are great until they get milked for profit. This isn't news.

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

EON Trainer

I admit, Hey You Pikachu is crap. The fishing sucks, the soups never come out right, and those annoying Caterpies...The only good thing was you could tell Pikachu to use Thunderbolt, which was a kind of real trainer experience.

Coloseum and XD - Well, at least it had somewhat of a storyline. And it was the only way to get Ho-Oh and Lugia into the GBA games.

Mystery Dungeon - I think it is kinda fun. It's annoying as heck to get the friggin Legendaries (seriously, in Gen1, Mew needed the Music Box [not broken], dungeon levels 36-40, and a recruit rate of 0.9%). There are too many items (I need a toolbox C). And I still love it, though I don't play it.

Mainstream:
    R/B/Y/G - Graphics are terrible. Pikachu idea was an experiment gone wrong.
    G/S/C - Still bad graphics, but better than Gen1. Cheats are awesome though with AR.
    R/S/E - Much better graphics. Like quantam leap better. Storyline was good, with the change from Rocket to Magma and Aqua. And Rayquaza was fun because it knew Fly.
    FR/LG - Improvement from RBY. 'Sides, they needed to do something with their spare time. New gamers might not have a GBC.
    D/P - Okay, GTS is decent. Can't find pokemon you don't already have, but useful if you want to breed a pokemon. However, legendaries....OMG they fsked the legendaries. How many are there, 14? And the friggin chase, oh the friggin chase. Only use for Quick Balls in the game (well, other than the swarm of lvl 4 Cubones).
    Platinum - WHAT THE *beep* DID THEY DO TO GIRATINA?!?!??! Holy friggin crap, did they beat him with an ugly stick?
    Dibujo cuadros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast