Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Little Kids Getting Dumber?

Default Are Little Kids Getting Dumber?

So I was using the computer an hour ago, and my 9-year-old brother's screaming at my mom because he doesn't want to do his homework. Apparently, he's got a project due and he waited to the last minute (I think that runs in the family), but he'd much rather play Star Fox Assault on the Gamecube. His excuse is that he "only has an hour of freetime after school," which is a load of bullshit because he's home from 3:15 to 7, swims from 7 to 8, and then is free again from 8 to 10 or 11. Apparently, playing with his friends doesn't count as freetime, but whatever.

After my mother hurled a bunch of empty threats at him (my mother will always tell him he can't do such and such because he misbehaved, and then "forgets" about the punishment a few hours later) he finally came downstairs, albeit grudgingly, to do his homework.

From their discussion, I collected that my brother is doing a project on meerkats. Eventually he came into the computer room and told me that he needed to use the computer for his project. I got off but told him not to exit out of the programs I've got running on the computer. My brother immediately began to shout at me, complaining that if he has more than four windows open, the computer will freeze, because apparently my AIM list, a blank Word document, and two Internet Explorer windows is very stressful for the computer. We got into a mini argument because he didn't like how I told him that he knows nothing about computers if he thinks that it's going to freeze. Eventually I wandered off, and then I was called back by my mother to type up his project and help him search for pictures of meerkats on the internet.

First of all, why doesn't this kid know how to type? I knew how to type in fourth-grade. In fourth grade, they teach you how to type, yet he continues to make other people type up his things because he's lazy. And second, why am I the one doing this? It's not my project. Third, why does he not know how to use the internet proficiently? He doesn't know how to type in a web address. Hmm, let's see, I knew that by what, second grade? He also apparently does not know how to copy pictures into word, or change the color of the font, or center his text. I'm confused here. I thought kids were supposed to be getting more technologically advanced.

Maybe the reason for this is laziness. For instance, my brother still does not know how to tie his shoes. This is not a fine motor problem or something that's out of his control. It's very simple, really. He has had slip-on shoes all his life, and when offered sneakers, he rejects them because he says he doesn't want to go through the hassle of learning how to tie his shoes. I knew this by kindergarten. Another thing is he doesn't know how to cut up his own food. When offered lessons on how to do it, he complains that it's easier for my parents to do it for him. My parents, of course, cater to him and cut his food for him, and therefore he never learns.

Come to think of it, it probably is laziness. Tch tch tch.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

I didn't learn to tie my shoes until 1st grade, but that was a fine motor problem. They actually put me in special classes when I was little because of my handwriting.

There are kids that age that ride my bus, some of them have some whitty stuff to say sometimes. I think it's just your brother.

the world is spinnin but im not afraid Cool Latios's Avatar

I lol at your brother playing the shitty game that is Starfox Assault rather than doing his homework

cl, you have the potential of having something interesting to contribute since we're talking about your age bracket.

Hey, you wouldn't catch me dead playing that game. I stick strictly to RPGs and some strategy games.

CL doesn't need to; he's already demonstrated he's not in the usual category of 9 and 10 year olds. Hell, CL's the smartest 10 (or is it 11?) year old I know.

11 thank you

yes I may be smart but you wont see me putting effort into something ever except if it's doing a 1000+ pieces lego thingy. I had a C on an history exam just because I didn't listen in class and didn't study.

and also note that I would still be playing in mcdonalds parks if I wouldn't have come to PD; it made me learn that I can look/sound like a fool by doing things that I'm supposed to be too old to do. In other words, I recommend PD to anyone who's really immature. =)
    Last edited by Cool Latios; 01-04-2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: *recommend D=

Eh, I'm the same way. I never put effort into anything unless I really care about it. For instance, give me a book on chemistry and then quiz me on it, and I'll pass with a C or D. Give me a book on psychology and I'll ace it. (Psychology is my number one interest.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dead Walrus View Post
    Hey, you wouldn't catch me dead playing that game. I stick strictly to RPGs and some strategy games.

CL doesn't need to; he's already demonstrated he's not in the usual category of 9 and 10 year olds. Hell, CL's the smartest 10 (or is it 11?) year old I know.
    It's all thanks to me. I made CL what he is today. One day he will surpass me and I will pass him the torch.

it will be epic.

lol @ walrus. Hug your brother for me
    When the Devil is too busy
    And Death's a bit too much
    They call on me by name you see,
    For my special touch.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    It's all thanks to me. I made CL what he is today. One day he will surpass me and I will pass him the torch.

YOU B.ASTERD!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MAKE EVERYTHING SOUND LIKE IT WAS THANKS TO YOU, GOOD OR NOT!!!!! DAMNIT

(Don't take it personally.i feel like yelling as loud as i possibly can and beating the ever loving .hit out of a random person. you just so happened to be the lucky guy who got yelled at.)

CL is what he is and 'pd' made him not you! im going to meet up with kelly now and buy shoes.

DSX

Who are you and why should we care?

God has done a lot of things such as setting up and paying for this forum; calling him a bastard is no way to thank him.

I'll get below you Tim
    For my special touch.

also, sasuke, please do not take dumps like that in my threads ever again

Quote Originally Posted by sasuke72uchiha View Post
    YOU B.ASTERD!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MAKE EVERYTHING SOUND LIKE IT WAS THANKS TO YOU, GOOD OR NOT!!!!! DAMNIT

(Don't take it personally.i feel like yelling as loud as i possibly can and beating the ever loving .hit out of a random person. you just so happened to be the lucky guy who got yelled at.)

CL is what he is and 'pd' made him not you! im going to meet up with kelly now and buy shoes.
    Trust me, I made CL. CL is my apprentice. He probably wouldn't be here if not for me. surely he will attest to this!

Quote Originally Posted by sasuke72uchiha View Post

JESUS CHRIST TIM

Strawberry Lemonaid Signal Flare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Latios View Post
    11 thank you

yes I may be smart but you wont see me putting effort into something ever except if it's doing a 1000+ pieces lego thingy. I had a C on an history exam just because I didn't listen in class and didn't study.

and also note that I would still be playing in mcdonalds parks if I wouldn't have come to PD; it made me learn that I can look/sound like a fool by doing things that I'm supposed to be too old to do. In other words, I recommend PD to anyone who's really immature. =)
    But, I'm really immature. And I've learned nothing from PD.
    Pairs: MPT, Panda Rocker, MEX, SuikunMyuu, Zapdos, CL, Link, Revan, DSX, Kelsh, and Goku!

not in the way of watching said "immature" shows. In the way of, for example, jumping over blue floor tiles in the malls, avoid cracks in the pavement, playing in ronald mcdonalds parks (except when they have zelda games on, then it's fun =))...

if violence is immature...I'm pretty damn immature
    For my special touch.

i actually agree with cl on the immature part

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Unless they're too immature and can't spell a word with 4 letters or more.

ur rit its vry hrd

Quote Originally Posted by Signal Flare View Post
    But, I'm really immature. And I've learned nothing from PD.
    thats because i never took you under my wing

tim is THE BIRD OF MATURENESS

or whatever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast