Thread: Brave Auron's Guide To Role Playing

Default Brave Auron's Guide To Role Playing

This Guide Was Created By Brave Auron, on the original PD

What it takes

Say your new to Roleplaying. You think it is really fun, and think you can make your own. But, you only post one sentence usually, and have bad grammar. If you wish, you can create one. BUT NOBODY WILL JOIN!

Creating RPs is 100000000 times harder then normal Roleplaying. You need a story, setting, all of that jazz. And the people who have successful RPs work on them for days, even months( or in my case, years). And the most important thing about creating is...

YOU CANT JUST CLICK "NEW THREAD" AND MAKE AN RP OFF OF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD!!!!!

I have done this several times, and it is a big NO-NO. I finally figured it out, and put allot more effort in.

So, you must be at least a mid-level RPer( Semi-Literate) or amazing RPer(Literate). Most, no, ALL beginners are crappy RPers(Illiterate), and it takes A WHILE to grow in ability.

But, in this case, practice isn't all that is needed. You have to read allot(books and even other RPers). The reason I am good at Rping(which took two years BTW), is because I read thread after thread of posts by Trannel, Rangergirl, and Xion. Learn from the elites.

Never, NEVER, post in the same Rper as any other Semi-Literates or Literates. When starting off, RP with the same level RPers as yourself.

Starting off

Alright, you fit the criteria for a person who can make an RP. But, how do you get started?

First of all, you need a plot.

You can really RP about anything. Pokemon, a logger, an army of Orcs, some hobos. But people won't join your RP if it is like EVERY other.

These are.

A generic pokemon journey

Really anything with pokemon.

POKEMON=BAD in terms of RPing.

Now, you could Roleplay a video game or T.V. show, but that is unoriginal and uninteresting. In some cases the creator can make it interesting(i.e., the Siege of Cosmo Canyon). But totally new plots are usually the favorite.

If a plot only takes a day to do, it sucks( there are variations though). If it takes a week, you got yourself a good RP. Any longer and it is GODLY.

The Basics

REALISM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! When coming up with rules, dint say "no cussing or Gore". If it was a war RP, would this make any sense?

Don't be too obsessive over rules also. Unless one is not following the rules and plot at all.

As the creator of an RP, you must make the RP move forward. Don't have someone else making story-filled posts, and you not.

Always stick with the plot you have made. NO EXCEPTIONS!

And of course, have an interesting plot.

BEGIN RPING NOW!
    -.---.----..

PD's Favorite Anti-Hero

This'll be stickied in no time.

A magical adventure Brave Auron's Avatar
    I am Pantl, a robot deployed by Atlantis to kill Ghouls with my status gun

Sick......

Midna

Quote Originally Posted by Nana-kun View Post
    This Guide Was Created By Brave Auron, on the original PD

What it takes

Say your new to Roleplaying. You think it is really fun, and think you can make your own. But, you only post one sentence usually, and have bad grammar. If you wish, you can create one. BUT NOBODY WILL JOIN!

Creating RPs is 100000000 times harder then normal Roleplaying. You need a story, setting, all of that jazz. And the people who have successful RPs work on them for days, even months( or in my case, years). And the most important thing about creating is...

YOU CANT JUST CLICK "NEW THREAD" AND MAKE AN RP OFF OF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD!!!!!

I have done this several times, and it is a big NO-NO. I finally figured it out, and put allot more effort in.

So, you must be at least a mid-level RPer( Semi-Literate) or amazing RPer(Literate). Most, no, ALL beginners are crappy RPers(Illiterate), and it takes A WHILE to grow in ability.

But, in this case, practice isn't all that is needed. You have to read allot(books and even other RPers). The reason I am good at Rping(which took two years BTW), is because I read thread after thread of posts by Trannel, Rangergirl, and Xion. Learn from the elites.

Never, NEVER, post in the same Rper as any other Semi-Literates or Literates. When starting off, RP with the same level RPers as yourself.

Starting off

Alright, you fit the criteria for a person who can make an RP. But, how do you get started?

You can really RP about anything. Pokemon, a logger, an army of Orcs, some hobos. But people won't join your RP if it is like EVERY other.

These are.

Now, you could Roleplay a video game or T.V. show, but that is unoriginal and uninteresting. In some cases the creator can make it interesting(i.e., the Siege of Cosmo Canyon). But totally new plots are usually the favorite.

If a plot only takes a day to do, it sucks( there are variations though). If it takes a week, you got yourself a good RP. Any longer and it is GODLY.

The Basics

REALISM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! When coming up with rules, dint say "no cussing or Gore". If it was a war RP, would this make any sense?

Don't be too obsessive over rules also. Unless one is not following the rules and plot at all.

As the creator of an RP, you must make the RP move forward. Don't have someone else making story-filled posts, and you not.

And of course, have an interesting plot.

BEGIN RPING NOW!
    Being a veteran RPer myself, I found some of those points somewhat... weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana-kun View Post
    I strongly disagree with the text in bold. What if someone has experience writing and/or reads a lot of books? It is illogical to assume that all new RPers do not have at least some experience in creative writing.

I agree with the first quote but I feel that the second quote contradicts it- surely it is helpful to RP with experienced Role-Players in order to, as you say, read their posts and learn from them?

Starting off

These are.

I agree with the italics but certainly not with the bold. Generic Pokemon journeys, fair enough, are boring. (Although they can be good fun if you want a simple RP to kill time) However, not all Pokemon RPs are like that. Pokemon is a huge universe with plenty of room for creative RPs to be set in one of the worlds from the games or anime, or even in a fictional world akin to the former. I have seen many creative Role Plays involving Pokemon, a lot of them having hardly anything to do with trainers.

Exactly. The creator can make it interesting, which is why you shouldn't dismiss all Pokemon RPs as rubbish.

That's a rather strange definition, as I don't think the creativity of a plot depends on how long you spend on it. I myself have ideas for RPs swirling around in my head for a long time before they all slot into place and come into focus. But some people suddenly have excellent ideas and write them down straight away. Perhaps it takes a while to fine-tune your ideas, but you shouldn't say that a plot will always suck if it takes a day to do.

If it is a War RP, then yes, I agree. But in my opinion it depends on the tone and the setting.

I agree, especially if the rule breaker is generally a good contributor to the RP, although if things go overboard then the rules of the RP must be followed.

What if someone else has a brilliant idea and wants to share it? I think it is important for them to get permission to post a story-relates post, but banning other people from contributing to the plot is illogical and defeats the whole point of writing an RP rather than a story.

Vash the Stampede

I kind of agree...

this as a guide isn't quiet the best...

it was also posted after tons of RP's began poping up daily, dieing within a couple days

THE GUIDE FOR RPING THIS SITE NEEDS IS THIS ONE
    note: only those who can view the old forums during maintenance mode could possibly use the link

Midna

I can't read it 'cuz I'm not a member on the old forum- mind posting it here for me?

Vash the Stampede

that's just the thing...

I only know the link, I can't see it because of mainenance mode

Midna

Damn. Well, if no-one can access it then I wouldn't mind writing something up.

Vash the Stampede

I'm pretty sure anyone w/ mod status in the old forums can access it...

and trust me, it's worth it... it's that good

PM Mewtwo or someone to see if they can bring the topic over here

PD's Favorite Anti-Hero

Nice, I'll just lock this thread.

&locked.