Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: favorite bands.

I don't like the Beatles because my parents like it, if that's what you're implying. I admit that liking the Beatles is truly up to preference, but I've personally liked the Beatles for the past six years because of the lyrics (the newer songs, the older ones about love I can pass on) and the melody, not because anyone else told me to like them.

Some of their songs were shit; crap like "Revolution 9" and "Why Don't We Do it in the Road?" and basically anything sung or written by Ringo Starr is not worth listening to. However, they helped break the field for some of the techniques now used in music, like synthesizers and actually having some songs that weren't all about love, or just 2 minutes long. This was accomplished by other bands as well, but the Beatles were one of the first mainstream bands to accomplish some of these things.

Well, if anything, even if you don't agree with anything I said above, you can't argue that no other band has had a whole cult revolve around their songs. That may one of the most interesting aspects of the Beatle culture.

Everyone is shitty and weird. Me? I'm normal and cool. Giant Squid's Avatar

Being mainstream and having the ability to write lyrics with more depth than a kiddie pool is not a huge accomplishment. It seems to me that the reason you think they are a great band is because of being able to deviate ever so slightly from the norm while remaining popular. Their are many other bands - even from from the time period - that were capable of the things you listed than The Beatles were, except for of course being popular while doing it. Being mainstream doesn't mean anything concerning the quality of music, all it proves is that the band was charismatic enough to acquire a good public image.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dead Walrus View Post
    I don't like the Beatles because my parents like it, if that's what you're implying. I admit that liking the Beatles is truly up to preference, but I've personally liked the Beatles for the past six years because of the lyrics (the newer songs, the older ones about love I can pass on) and the melody, not because anyone else told me to like them.
    the word people does not mean you. it's a generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dead Walrus
    Some of their songs were shit; crap like "Revolution 9" and "Why Don't We Do it in the Road?" and basically anything sung or written by Ringo Starr is not worth listening to. However, they helped break the field for some of the techniques now used in music, like synthesizers and actually having some songs that weren't all about love, or just 2 minutes long. This was accomplished by other bands as well, but the Beatles were one of the first mainstream bands to accomplish some of these things.
    K a band has to be mainstream to claim an idea, got it. The beatles had the luxury of synthesizers because it was new technology at the time. i'm not going to penalize other bands for not having access to it.

And to be fair most music sucked before the 60s, this doesn't mean the beatles shifted the table. Music pre 60s was mostly jazz and other shit. Rock had a huge burts in the late 50s on, and go figure the beatles showed up then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dead Walrus
    Well, if anything, even if you don't agree with anything I said above, you can't argue that no other band has had a whole cult revolve around their songs. That may one of the most interesting aspects of the Beatle culture.
    I'm not going to argue it, in fact i stated it in my initial post. I'm not going to argue something i already said and agree with.

damn I've got the two of you tearing me down on this

it wasn't planned. it sorta just happened >_> <_<

(Q'-')==Q(x_<)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123