Thread: Neverwinter Nights 2 Bitchfest

Registered Users Regular Walrus's Avatar

Default Neverwinter Nights 2 Bitchfest

I got the game Neverwinter Nights 2 just yesterday, but I'm already posting this thread to bitch about the movement controls. By far of any game I've ever played in my entire life, NWN2 has the most poorly designed movement system.

For movement, the game uses WASD keys, which is something I abhor. I like my movement keys to be the arrow keys because it just feels right that way. Luckily you can toggle the keyboard settings.

Now comes the part where I bitch about moving. To move, you have to press the key that corresponds to either left or right so you can turn in the appropriate direction. THEN you press the up key to move in that direction. The down key is just for backing up slowly. Using this system, there is absolutely no way you can move gracefully; changing direction is, at best, very jerky.

So suppose I want to move up, but I'm currently facing left. I have to ever so slowly turn to the right until I face up, and THEN I can press up to run in that direction. When I try to do this while already moving, it's even worse.

Playing the tutorial (which basically involves only finding a chest in a small room) was horrible. Every single time I pressed up to go up against the treasure chest, the guy kept on moving for a few seconds after I released the corresponding key. Incredibly inconvenient, because I had to keep backtracking, but then the game would make me backtrack too far, and thus became an endless cycle.

On the positive side, once I finally finished the tutorial, I got to go outside and insult my character's friends by telling them I didn't need them around and they were just dead weight

As an owner of the game also, i will bitch about something entirely different.

The movement controls aren't anything. You can use the mouse too to move, and it's what i have always done on this game series.

My bitching is with the graphics. When a game tries too hard to make it more eye candy than content, i get pissed off. As a result i can't run the game worth a fucking damn even though my computer is no slacker. With minimum graphics settings it still chokes, and it's not even worth it because the graphics are horrid when you do turn everything down.

I'd love to play the game and not have to worry about the lag instead of what i'm doing.

Registered Users Regular Walrus's Avatar

you can use the mouse to move? hot damn.

I don't seem to have a problem with graphics, but then again the computer I've been playing it on is brand-new (i.e. a month old). I thought the graphics were actually pretty bad, but maybe I have the graphics turned down low by default.

my current computer is 5 years or so old, even with a recent graphics card update.

my laptop which is only 2 years old would tank it like a champ.

the first NWN had horrible graphics. The games 7 years or so old though. The content however was -fantastic-. I could look past that minor eye candy for literally hundreds of hours of campaign play that was enjoyable.