Thread: After seeing those horrible Residents movies...

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

Default After seeing those horrible Residents movies...

I asked The Forum on GameFAQs what they thought. There were numerous replies and in true Forum fashion everyone had the exact same opinion. I have one excerpt though I would like to share.

woo hoo kittys
    Posted 6/25/2007 4:36:52 AM
    message detail

What can you people possibly see in them?
    ---
    "**** YOU, YOU IMMATURE CHILDISH ****S THE GROWNUPS ARE GOING TO WATCH POKEMON NOW!" - God

spitfire10189
    Posted 6/25/2007 4:38:24 AM
    message detail

Good music? Humour? Neat videos?

Basically, just a bunch of awesomeness.
    ---
    I was bowling once, and scored 69 in like, the 6th frame (I'm terrible), so I spent the rest of the game throwing gutter balls. - Hustle Kong
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

LL2

Wow. Almost exactly the same.

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

The top one is me, the bottom one is the Forum's unanimous opinion.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

yeah they seem like the type of bands that unfunny nerds with no futures would like

Game FAQs lacks common sense. God dammit, how can anyone find enjoyment out of that crap?

or leulinks

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    or leulinks
    we aint goin there whitey

perhaps tim goes to that forum too.

the world is spinnin but im not afraid Cool Latios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    Game FAQs lacks common sense. God dammit, how can anyone find enjoyment out of that crap?

they leaked dp english names too

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IM SO MAD >=((((((((((

Strawberry Lemonaid Signal Flare's Avatar

Anyone who enjoys shit like that deserves massive torture.
    Pairs: MPT, Panda Rocker, MEX, SuikunMyuu, Zapdos, CL, Link, Revan, DSX, Kelsh, and Goku!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripdos Kryp: ROCKING A CHAIN View Post
    perhaps tim goes to that forum too.

o snap!

namtap

Hi.

Being that I was immensely bored, I decided to Google my GameFAQs username. As a result, I came across this thread. I find it immensely amusing that you use this topic to whine about my taste in music to your little circle of like-minded nerd "friends." Especially since you think you're so secure in doing so, as if nobody could possibly see it. Well, I did.

So, I like avant-garde music. I like music with some goddamn sense of originality and creativity. Get the fuck over it.

My favorite response is the one about The Residents being music for unfunny nerds with no futures.* Because, well, what is this a forum about? That's right -- Pokemon. Pot, black, kettle, etc. Furthermore, The Residents are far from nerd music. Nerds like tripe metal (i.e. Dragonforce *shudder*) various amounts of shit classic rock, and other such crap.

Also, The Forum is hardly homogeneous. The place is filled with arguments, debates, et cetera. I was frankly surprised that there was even a passing agreement with my post, because the Forum (aside from a few select posters) is generally very closed to avant-garde, experimental and otherwise bizarre music. Even that very topic turned into a bashing of my taste.

And again, I like The Residents because they're good. I gave the reasons that I like them, and you failed to give but one reason that you dislike them. They are talented, creative, funny, amongst many other things. While they haven't been relevant in quite some time, they used to be quite the band.

Take The Commercial Album, for example. Since allmusic can sum it up better than I can, I will use the quote from the (4/5 star) review of the album.
    Here's the concept: The structure of most pop songs consists of only two parts, the verse and the chorus. Since the verse and chorus usually repeat three times in a three-minute song, a pop tune really only consists of one minute of music. Cut out the repetition and you can, therefore, fit 40 pop songs onto a 40-minute record. And that's exactly what the Residents have done on The Commercial Album, the title of which comes from the band's deduction that since pop songs only consist of one minute of music and most advertisements are about a minute long also, ad jingles are "therefore the music of America." Got it?
    Or "Third Reich 'N' Roll," which featured bizarre covers of (mostly) popular songs was about the fascism of rock'n'roll -- how society had accepted rock as the true form of music -- not the original types of music, but the bland and unoriginal music that was being pumped out by the masses during that time (1970's). While they are far from my favorite band, they are indeed, great. It's ideas and societal statements like this that made The Residents more interesting than a huge majority of other bands.

They are, indeed, a very esoteric band, so I can understand one's dislike for them. But, with an open mind, maybe more people can realize that music does not have to be about a catchy tune or a memorable beat. Yes, those can be good in moderation, but truly good music is more than that. Good music is good for more than just playing in the background and just-barely paying attention to. The Residents are not good background music. They must be listened to carefully, thoughtfully, and with an open mind -- things that the casual music listener usually do not do.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

EDIT: This site didn't count that as a post? It didn't bump it to the top? What the shit.
    Last edited by namtap; 07-04-2007 at 11:17 PM.