Thread: Free Will vs. Pre-destined

King Shadow

Default Free Will vs. Pre-destined

Do we have the freedom to rule our own lives, or is everything we do pre-destined? What do you think and why?

LL2

We have the will. God gives us the power to make our life into what we want it to be. Nothing is ever set in stone.

King Shadow

I agree to that, But I wanted to see what other people think.

oblivion

Pre destined, god gives you a choice of what path to go, but once you take a path everything is destined

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Both. Some things are destined, like your next birthday, but you can die and change all that. Simple, really.

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

everything is your own choice. there is no god so why even bother saying that he gives you a path to choose. everything you do is of your doing and the consequences all depend on the coincidence and matter of life.

Quoting myself here but...

One can argue that since we have free will, the paths we take are our own yadda yadda whatever. If a God we can't even communicate with directly only knows our fates and nobody else does, well then by all means isn't that the same as having free will? I realize that the idea of our destinies being written in stone is an uncomfortable thought to many but I mean honestly, what can you not do just because only God knows what'll happen?

King Shadow

It's hard to figure out because nobody can change the past, but if everything was pre destined does that mean some people are meant to go to hell no matter what they do? And what does that say about prisoners then? If killing people was their unchangeable destiny then aren't we in the wrong for putting them to death for killing people?

God and only God knows what your afterlife holds whether it be Heaven, Hell, reincarnation or energy disipation(sP?). Nobody your mind can process can have access to this information or use it against you and therefore you have more control over the destiny of your soul than anybody material.

Whether it is right or wrong to put people to death for murder is a matter of opinion. We could just give murderers a stern talking to, appeal to their better nature and forgive them but popular opinion dictates that won't change them. So we murder murderers to prevent them from murdering others and give those close to the murdered some sense of justice and closure.

Furthermore, if you had a Time Machine and DID change the past, you have fulfilled your destiny of changing the past. I do not consider the future and destiny the same thing.

King Shadow

Congradulations, You've given another intelligent answer.

Registered Users Regular Walrus's Avatar

One of my favorite video game's main theme is about this very question, actually.

I personally believe that we have free-will. Nothing has come along to prove that our lives are pre-destined, and until that happens, I'd like to believe we have control over our lives. What would be the point in living if the outcome would always be the same? If your life was predetermined and you were supposed to have a horrible outcome no matter what you did to change it, then people would lose the will to live and fight for what they believe in.

Like I said, you would never know what destiny holds if it is written. And if by some chance you do "know", what you learn it to be could always be a lie or a series of predictions that turn invalid when acted against. Your destiny could be to say "Fuck my destiny" and wind up doing the opposite of what you thought you were supposed to do.