Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: back from internet hiatus

Well, you can't exactly claim you sport a French accent yourself, cl. I hear the Quebecois accent is drastically different from the French one.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
    I'm not disputing that China isn't going to be big (it already is to be honest) but learning the language is nearly impossible for a foreigner.
    It all depends on the person learning the language. It is possible, but hard if you're used to Eurpoean languages.

For instance, I'm taking Japanese. Its writing is deprived (or exactly copied) from Chinese thus making it easier if I ever wanted to learn to write in Chinese. The spoken language in Japan is completely different from Chinese, but not so much the writing. (But I have to admit that Japanese is much easier than English. )

So, technically, I'm learning one and half languages right now. Since my teacher goes:

"This is the Chinese symbol for 'cat', compaired to the Japanese Hiragana."

And then she writes them for us to copy.

The Hickz is back. Shall we resume our arguments?

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

no

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

Finally. Welcome back Hicky.

the world is spinnin but im not afraid Cool Latios's Avatar

Well, you can't exactly claim you sport a French accent yourself, cl. I hear the Quebecois accent is drastically different from the French one.
    the french sound so ridiculous, it's like speaking was a very sophisticated action so they speak in a pretentious tone and NEVER move the corners of their mouths! they only move the center of their lips so they sound really strange.

Kill you? Little ol' moi? Ninetails 009's Avatar
    Snazzy Southlands, Sizzling Sexy Singapore

Chinese is ridiculously inconvenient for today's times because of the thousands of individual characters they have. I'm not disputing that China isn't going to be big (it already is to be honest) but learning the language is nearly impossible for a foreigner.

On top of that they've got tons of individual dialects. The differences in dialects is so great that a speaker of Cantonese wouldn't be able to understand a single thing a Mandarin speaker said, and vise versa. The only way the two could communicate is through writing because the writing system is universal in China.

However, China's trying to combat that by teaching only Cantonese in schools.

I agree. Even though I am a chinese. Mandarin is one of the 3 most hardest languages to learn in the world, proven by research. Anyway, I can't bring myself to memorise all those characters. But actually many words are made out of other words. Easiest example:

A 'tree' is one basic character.
    'Forest' is two of those characters side by side.
    'Jungle' is three.

Chinese characters are just made up of smaller words. 'Bright' is a combination of the symbol for the moon on the left and the symbol of the sun on the right.

You europeans will never get the accent right though, even if you learn the language. It comes out weird when said by an european.

Advanced Trainer

My french accent is terrible in french class.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

My accent is actually quite good in Japanese class thanks to me watching anime for days on end.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

i can do a good japanese accent

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    My accent is actually quite good in Japanese class thanks to me watching anime for days on end.
    That's awesome.

whenever I took spanish classes, the teachers always said I had a great accent.

but one time I began reading the bible in spanish as a joke and someone said I sounded like I had a Scandinavian accent...?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12