Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Offer for the More Close-Hearted Among Us

Default An Offer for the More Close-Hearted Among Us

Some of you may not know, but PD has beena round for about 4ish years or so now- possibly longer. Some have been here since about the start, and others are a bit newer- some fall in the middle, like myself. Whether or not you're new-gen or not though, that doesn't change the fact that some of us have gotten close to others in ways besides that of just a forum-bud.

With this in mind, I have an offer. I mentioned this in another thread, but I figure a formal written offer would work a bit better =P I have access to a Ventrilo server, and access to a public Ventrilo as well. I'm admin on one, and know the admin of the other. Here's why I bring this up-

Some of said friends live in areas across the world- a good +5-9 hours ahead of many of us, and make talking verbally an issue if you want more than one person at a time talking. Ventrilo is a program you download from a website that allows voice communication of many users at once through a Microphone at your computer, for free.

I offer up my vent for your use, to talk to who you wish, when you wish- under the condition you respect the owners and other admins wishes, and be respectful in a moderate sense

I can help you get set up, and work your way around. This would allow you all to chat over vent while messing around online (it's ran in the background, so it wouldn't really hamper any of your browsing or whatever), or just to talk when you're bored. And it would allow up to 40 of us to talk at once =P

Let me know what's up and if you're interested, and I'll see about setting you up. I figured I'd try to help in what ways I can <3

-KS

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

Advanced Trainer

I don't have a mic.

You can A) get one for $19 at your local superstore, or B) use the chat function in Vent to listen, and then type your responses for everyone else in Chat to see

I suggest just getting the mic though haha.

If you want, I can give everyone the info now, and provide pictures on installation, and some of you could hop on and just check out how it works.

-KS

DSX

Already sent you a PM, You know Im game for this. The idea is just so super.

Quote Originally Posted by Me on Another Forum
    Not so much an FAQ as a tutorial, now that I think about it. Here we go:

I also have to put this out, when raiding or doing instances or anything that takes group coordination, use vent. You have no idea how much easier it makes things. To get vent go here and download the client and install. The vent server info is in the guild information section in game. If you have any questions ask either Eli or myself, in that order.

-Steve
    Follow those directions and get your clientel- once done, open it up. Start by creating a username, and phonetic- that's the first drop down box you'll see, at the very top. Click the arrow to the right to start. Select "New" and fill out the form. Most people like the phonetic to mimic your in-game name, but I really couldn't care less. Mine specially says "Bitches be flockin' ", so that when I come and go from a channel or server it says "Bitches be flockin' has left the server/channel". Pretty nifty.

On my vent, this is what it looks like:

Vent Username and Phonetic

Once this is done, you must then make a server selection, one that you have info to that you wish to connect on. We don't have one of our own yet, but I know of a rarely used one that will do for now. Select the arrow to the right of the second drop-box to begin this process. Select "New" again, and input the following information-

Name- ** (to be named, depending)
    Hostname IP- **
    Port- **
    Password- *blank*
    Default Channel- *blank*

Select 'ok'. Afterwards, this is what it should look like:

Vent Server Specs

Once this is done, you're ready to connect to the server. To move channels, just right click the channel name, and you move to that channel.

For those of you with mics, this is how you would speak:

Go to set-up, on the right hand side, under chat, and start to mess around. This is how your set-up should look though:

Mic Setup

Your outbound should probably be at 0, but I have a really quite microphone =P As for push to talk key, I have it on the button to the left of the 1 key, but really it could be anything. You could make it the right click button on your mouse, the mouse wheel- anything you want. Just make sure you unbind that key in game through Key Bindings, found in the Esc. Menu.

Also, your choice of Mixer will probably be different than mine- that's your sound card specs, really. I have Realtek Audio, you may have something else. The important thing is your speaker types are there =P

Also, if you have a mac, this codex may not work for you. You'll have to let me know.

If there are any other questions, feel free to post and ask me. Otherwise, see you in game

-Drae
    I'm Drae =P Anyways-

There's that. Let me know if anyone's interested, and I could hop on and say hello.

-KS
    Last edited by KidStatutory; 01-29-2007 at 07:01 PM.

I have an internal microphone on my laptop, but it's probably a piece of shit. One day I got bored and turned on the spoken command function, and now whenever I try giving it commands, I have to repeat the command about 5 times before the computer gets it. Probably the sound doesn't go through very well on it.

Advanced Trainer

Fine, I'll buy a mic. But 19 dollars doesn't come easy on a thirteen year old that doesn't get an allowence.

Damnit.

If I can, I'll try milking a microphone out of my mother when she comes to pick me up for a doctor's appointment tomorrow

If I can, I'll try milking a microphone out of my mother when she comes to pick me up for a doctor's appointment tomorrow

Almost any Mic will work, I assure you. Follow said instructions, and send me a PM for server information, and I'll let you know if you sound horrible =P I'm already in the channel I made for us.

-KS

DSX

Pays to have a webcam with a built-in mic.

the world is spinnin but im not afraid Cool Latios's Avatar

I'd be better off using chat, since if I tried to speak english it would give something like "mhmdfmmgerpapeaeear,enfmdfn,ds" so yeah

Advanced Trainer

Speak french.

Playing WoW and Tourney SC, you'd be amazed at some of the things called English that I've heard =P But if you wish to save yourself the trouble, more power to you

-KS

CL, you can't speak English?

I can read type write and barely understand english but speak it no :/

huh, yeah, I found that it's much easier to read and write in Spanish than it is to speak and listen to it. I took French for one year in my life (while I lived in France to be exact) but I was horrible at it because I had a terrible teacher who berated me when I mispronounced words. So, yeah, I know absolutely no French now.

DSX

Silly French. Im someone who speaks Spanish less than fluent but well enough to understand. I just cant read and write it as well. Those departments I fail at.

il y a toujours des personnes différentes des personnes normales :/

DSX

True CL, so very true.

I expect you all to have mics by tomorrow =P

-KS

Advanced Trainer

Psh. defiantly not tommrow. Maybe next week.

I'll do my best, no promises

Well then at least download it and send me a PM and hop on tonight to make sure it works =P It'd be cool to say hey to you all, and talk to those who are prepared anyways =P

Whaddya think =P

-KS

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

No mics on a slow I-mac, so you'll be happy to know I wouldn't be on that much. My grandparents have a webcam with a built in mic though, so I may be on some of the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast