Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is the fantasy/sci-fi thread

Default this is the fantasy/sci-fi thread

hey fellow nerds, let's discuss nerdy fantasy and sci-fi literature and other forms of media in this thread. I just started a pretty good Warhammer 40,000 book called Horus Rising. First book in the Horus Heresy series.

FM, let's discuss Salvatore's works.

Those Horus Heresy books did look interesting. I've never read any of the 40k stuff, but I love the Trollslayer series, I still gotta read the last 2 or so...
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

This is my first encounter with Warhammer literature or games. So far, they appear to be very good.

Both the Warhammer Universes are pretty interesting.. the game's cool in fact, just too damn expensive to keep up with. I prefer Warhammer Fantasy to 40k actually. Especially the Trollslayer books. I like my fantasy kinda dark but full of drunk manly bust em up dwarves....
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Jules Verne was the pioneer for science fiction and one of the greatest authors of the 19th century. But I doubt he can be considered nerdy for the fact of his brilliance in his premonitions for underwater, space and air travel.

Now those are the sort of books to be reading.

Have you read The Sellswords Trilogy in Forgotten Realms? In books two and three, that's one of the main characters.

Verne is decent, you definately seem to be a 'Classics' type of girl Lace. And nah I haven't read most of the FR books, just the first two books in the Dark Elf trilogy. I know I said somewhere that I was reading one of the newer Mossflower books, they're pretty decent... just haven't read any of them in a while.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Welcome to Eternal Hell. How may me help you? Espeon's Fury's Avatar

Currently going through LotR. Best series by genre here would have to be, imo:

Sci-Fi - The Tripod Trilogy, or Star Trek: Next Generation. Debatable, really.
    Fantasy - Now, THIS is difficult. Huh...The Bartimaeus Trilogy, whose author has slipped my mind.
    Pairs: The LacemakerThe NiginatorTeresaHickyNinetails009KS Jr.YojimboGokuQoorl

E.N.T.E.I.
    Hatches @ 2520
    Completed @ 2768

Call me oldschool. Maybe in another few decades I'd consider reading these.

Actually, as for fantasy novels some of you may have heard of the Fighting Fantasy series. It's text adventure book with about 50 or so books in the series, so how it works is you choose yourself the actions you take which lead you to a death or an ending, even with a bit of battle using dice. I'm not so much an enthusiast but I think some of you would enjoy it. Not that old, but not from this century either.

Ah, Verne. I recently watched 20,000 leagues under the sea for the first time and I enjoyed it quite a bit. (readings for losers! j/k) Afterwards I saw--what was it?--Master of the World? Guy builds a blimp in the 1800s out of highly compressed paper and bombs the world's armies to bring about peace... basically 20,000 Leagues but in the sky.

Did Verne also pen Mysterious Island? I liked that too. That redhead was hot lol

What about HG Wells? I actually did read The Time Machine a few years back and enjoyed both film versions. From what I heard, the dude was kind of a pimp too. He had his wife pick out mistresses for him.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

Actually sounds interesting. And back to Verne he's doubly good since so much of his work was inspiration for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I still never got around to finishing the second volume of that... where they fought the War of the Worlds aliens...
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Word! John Carter was in that at the begining! LoXG's Tars Tarkas looked sick! As I recall, it insPired my design for the green giant as seen in my sig below.
    |
    V

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

HG Wells is another amazing man, The Time Machine and The First Men On The Moon.

I finished about a month ago the Count of Monte Christo. One long book, that. I stopped halfway a while back because I got fustrated with the length, but I'm glad I finished.

Mysterious Island was by Jules Verne, haven't gotten round to reading it though.

I've never actually read any of the John Carter books! I've got MOST of the Tarzan books in old paperbacks around here somewhere though. They were decent. The first book may be among the more racist classics though. Speaking of cool pulp novels what's y'all's take on Conan? The original author's stories that is.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

The Hitchhiker by Orson Welles is one of the better plays I've ever heard.

The Conan books are very fun to read.

Y'know he (the Conan author, Howard Carter I think?) and Lovecraft were good buddies and corresponded a lot, there's references to each other's stuff in some of the other's works.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Welcome to Eternal Hell. How may me help you? Espeon's Fury's Avatar

Oh, btw, Artemis Fowl books must be up there as well.
    Pairs: The LacemakerThe NiginatorTeresaHickyNinetails009KS Jr.YojimboGokuQoorl

E.N.T.E.I.
    Hatches @ 2520
    Completed @ 2768

I believe Howard is the last name, with his initials as the first.

And I've never read Lovecraft, but I really need to get to it.

It's okay.. I like the ideas behind his stuff more than the actual works..some of it is really kind of corny. He's really terrified and creeped out by fish. The Dunwich Horror is actually pretty good. And The Colour Out of Space does an interesting job of predicting the effects of a Nuclear bomb some time before the idea actually came around. I've never read the Reanimator stuff but it's supposed to be fun.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

overrated genres

The devil you say! Pulp is a fine genre.... equal if not greater to it's predecessor the Dime Novel. Man I wish I had a stack of dime novels right now, or at least wish I could find my old Deadlands dime novels...
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    overrated genres
    lies

they work well on videogames i will give them that

less well in film or literature. although there is good to be found in both genres of course, as there is to be in any.

speaking of which, anybody ever read any of the Deadlands stuff? It's primarily RP sourcebooks, but they did and Anthology as well as about 20 or so dime novels.... Damn good setting/story.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast