Thread: The Mind Virus

Default The Mind Virus

http://www.bidstrup.com/virus.htm

After reading this, his attempt at a history on Christianity, his essay on the flaws of Christianity, and his review of The Case For Christ, I think this guy makes some good points. I haven't done source checking yet but his theories seem to match the ones I've been hearing from various, totally unrelated sources. This essay however caught my attention the most, so I decided I'd share it with you and see what you think. I'd post this in the Megathread but that seems to be off on a tangent now.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Dude. I'm in LOVE with you're signature.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

● Catch a Falling Star ●

That's very long and interesting.

It also has a go at religion... This should be stickied.

Taken from #2:
    The way this mind game is played is by discrediting "the world." We have all seen evangelicals who have been so caught up in the experience that they literally ignore contrary evidence. Of course this is encouraged, and specific instructions are given throughout the New Testament for dealing with contrary evidence presented by unbelievers.
    To anyone who saw the Jesus Camp topic and actually watched the movie, you'll understand just how accurate the statements in that essay are, the above one particularly. If you watched that movie after reading this you can find numerous examples of all 7 mind games at work. I'd mention specific examples but Jesus Camp itself is a 2 hour example, it's that filled with it.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

How do you pronounce 'meme'? Mee-Mee? Meem? Meh-Meh?

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

meh-m

I don't really debate about religion or anything, but I will just say that I don't think religion was created to control the masses, but along the way people figured out it was a very effective tool to do so. Religion is a natural instinct of man.

I find it odd you debate politics which are so close I'd say they're intertwined with religion, but on this subject you've never debated it.

In politics, on the whole, someone is right and someone is wrong. You cannot prove that someone is right or wrong with religion. It is a useless argument.

On some points, but most can be weeded out through accurate dating, reliable translations, and modern science.

From a debating standpoint saying the Big Bang happened but God created it seems to be a pretty unbeatable stance.

that's one part of the religion debates, and in all, a small part.