Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloning

I agree with Tim on the downside to cloning and genetic manipulation in that it would create a huge class divide between people who can and can't afford it, but both also have many benefits. Cloning human organs, for instance, for use in sick patients who require a transplant but where no donors are available. The cloned human that provides the organs could be created as a blank slate, with no consciousness, so there are no ethical dilemmas, or the organs could be created within some other animal and then transplanted that way. Another benefit to cloning would be creating a younger copy of yourself when your body is failing and transplanting your brain or consciousness into the fresh copy. Genetic manipulation could correct a myriad of physical shortcomings in a lot of people aswell.

If I remember right it is against a few religions. If those people find out that could make anouther war, and earth is way to weak for another war.
    Yeah, religions opposed to human cloning are going to declare war on the world if they find out it's happening. Do you know how silly you sound?

Solar energy: Yeah, that works, but what about winter?
    Have you never heard of solar cells? They store energy whenever the sun is out for later use.

And the sun ain't strong enough for good energy.
    The sun is more powerful than any energy source on Earth. Since it's a star, it's a natural fusion reactor. Current technology just can't harness it's full power.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatwo
    Cloning human organs, for instance, for use in sick patients who require a transplant but where no donors are available. The cloned human could be created as a blank slate, with no consciousness, so there are no ethical dilemmas, or the organs could be created within some other animal and then transplanted that way. Another benefit to cloning would be creating a younger copy of yourself when your body is failing and transplanting your brain or consciousness into the fresh copy. Genetic manipulation could correct a myriad of physical shortcomings in a lot of people aswell.
    This creates a major population problem though. While the dramatic decrease of death seems good externally, soon enormous problems of space, pollution, energy and fuel consumption, and food supply. People don't retire because they're living into their mid 100s, and there's a crisis of job availability. Then again only the super-rich would probably be able to afford this stuff, which helps the problem, and doesn't create quite the dichotomy fetus genetic manipulation would.

I think creating organs for transplants could be great in the future, but a LOT of things need to be solved before that happens, to the point of maybe even colonization of other planets. We're nowhere near ready to deal with the effects.

And whoever said the motherfucking SUN isn't strong enough to create good energy is an idiot.

He also said that all cars need oil. I'm pretty sure something like an hour of solar energy is about as much energy as the whole world uses in electricity over a year.

About the organs thing: The genetic code is implanted with age, so although your new organ wouldn't be contaminated, it would die at the same time as the rest of your body.

When I die, I want my body dipped a tub of tree sap which which will encase me in amber so that future scientists could create a theme park out of my clones.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

When I die, I want an epitaph saying "Ed says 'Hi!'", and that I was killed using a filange. No clones.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Do people want to be asexual creatures now? We don't need cloned meat for there are enough animals, we don't need cloned people for there are more than enough of them and the lack of organ donors wouldn't be a problem if more people were caring enough to give.
    If your child died, would you rather mourn for a few weeks and pray they'll be save in the "next world", or would you make a clone only to find out that the personality has changed (or something) and you feel worse than ever?

Intermediate Trainer

Cloned meat: good call
    Cloned people: not so good

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

The 6th Day was a great cloning movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

There could definitely be an upside. I mean, imagine if you could clone the greatest people in history and bring them together in some place...

I would actually find myself against the idea of cloning, the whole bioethics of the subject leads me to believe this may just be our scientific world going too far. What we're tampering with is life, and it's a delicate subject. Is it biologically ethical to manufacture a clone of another human being?

But for those who do approve of the method, if cloning was to be adapted into our society, what would these clones be used for? There are medical pruposes, a commercial aspect, or even for use in our lives to duplicate people. So would cloning be used for something like meat, or to manufacture either cloned humans as a replacement for another or as a style of slave? How do you propose we use cloning in life?

I just find it unethical to clone another human being. Meat I'm not so against but it would take even centuries for cloning to be accepted into society. It is quite possible that cloning will be used in the future, even inevitable but I am against the cloning of humans for commercial purposes.

You guys seem to forget there was a child cloned only a couple years ago. What happened to it we may never know as I never heard anything past the first week or so.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Also, think on this: Without genetic enhancements technology will fill in the gap. Kids with genetically enhanced eyesight won't be much different from the kids with bionic implants, adults with enhanced strength won't be much different from the strength intensifiers most laborers will wear. IMO if we let genetics lose the fight it will indeed be the haves and have nots but it won't be from physical disability it will be from being unable to afford the technology that jobs require you have. Also, as for cloned humans, what about robots? What happens when they become a minority? Personally I think that technology and genetics should mirror each other, that way people have options as to what they want to do to their body.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

That's true. I think I'd rather have a future run by sPlicers than cyborgs.

The meaning of life is "bucket". Omnipotent Chaos's Avatar
    Rejoicing for the very bad things that are about to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KS Jr. View Post
    The whole idea about cloning yourself to have an illusion of immortality is bullshit. Your DNA is encoded with age naturally, and until we completely unravel every bit of the genome, we could do nothing to change it, and even if we do, there's no guarantee.
    By cloning yourself, and never letting people see you younger than about 18-20 or older than 30-35, you could use clones to produce an illusion of immortality.

Also, think on this: Without genetic enhancements technology will fill in the gap. Kids with genetically enhanced eyesight won't be much different from the kids with bionic implants, adults with enhanced strength won't be much different from the strength intensifiers most laborers will wear. IMO if we let genetics lose the fight it will indeed be the haves and have nots but it won't be from physical disability it will be from being unable to afford the technology that jobs require you have. Also, as for cloned humans, what about robots? What happens when they become a minority? Personally I think that technology and genetics should mirror each other, that way people have options as to what they want to do to their body.
    This is the point I was trying to make earlier to god. Robotics will be just as (if not more) expensive than gennetic alterations.

Paired with The Editor.

But you'd still die at the same time. It would be nothing more than a superficial hoax that plenty of people would do, thus making the illusion easy to be seen through.

Beginning Trainer

Cloning is Gay to me

profound

Quote Originally Posted by c04 View Post
    Cloning is Gay to me
    You are n00b.

God, am I ever getting off restriction? I've learned my lesson(s).

Paired with The Editor.

Tim, you can't hold back his CHAOTIC POWERS forever!

I know Nocturne, I know ... but if I unrestrict him, his CHAOS will be truly OMNIPONENT in every forum, and I will have unleashed a mighty beast into this world. One that cannot be controlled.

Truly his powers of OMNIPOTENCE will outlast all of us, and creation itself will be drawn back into the womb of CHAOS, and he shall dance on our graves and laugh. Best you yield to his powers or be forever tortured in his deep, twisted dungeons!

Except by those to whom I'm loyal. Please quit the faggotishness of screwing with my name.

Paired with The Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lacemaker View Post
    But for those who do approve of the method, if cloning was to be adapted into our society, what would these clones be used for? There are medical pruposes, a commercial aspect, or even for use in our lives to duplicate people. So would cloning be used for something like meat, or to manufacture either cloned humans as a replacement for another or as a style of slave? How do you propose we use cloning in life?
    Military.

Paired with The Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    I know Nocturne, I know ... but if I unrestrict him, his CHAOS will be truly OMNIPONENT in every forum, and I will have unleashed a mighty beast into this world. One that cannot be controlled.
    Yeah, I'm an elite and I've come to overthrow you. Get over the gay shit and unrestrict me please.

Paired with The Editor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast