Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: FAO: Christians

  1. #26
    The Gentleman Fuhrer Pikatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In a house presumably on Earth.
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    No one. God was the first and only thing before he created The heavens, universe and earth.
    No human described 'God' created the universe, especially if we're talking about the Christian God since his attributes and qualities are most widely known and contradictory. If God is all-knowing and all-powerful and has an infinite existence, why did he decide to create the universe only 13.5 billion years ago? It should have always existed. What held him back? If something held him back, he's limiting his omnipotence. If he's existed for eternity and is all-knowing, he's known for eternity that he was going to create the universe, so therefore the universe should have existed for all eternity aswell, but this is illogical because it would mean he couldn't have created it. It would have always been there. So either God hasn't existed for eternity, both God and the universe have an infinite existence and both weren't created or God doesn't exist and the universe is finite and was created by itself.

    He created them. That's just it. God is the most powerful thing ever.
    Created them for what purpose? God would have no reason or need to create anything.

    God gave us knowledge and blood. Try reading Genesis the first book of the Bible.
    'God' never gave anyone knowledge. Our knowledge has been obtained through experimentation and observation.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

    Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

  2. #27
    In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.
    Posts
    15,996

    Default

    God, being eternal, exists outside of time, so for Him there's no before or after: everything happens at once. Therefore God could have created the Universe as soon as He existed.

    God doesn't need a reason to do anything.

    He gave us the ability to have knowledge.

  3. #28
    The Gentleman Fuhrer Pikatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In a house presumably on Earth.
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    God, being eternal, exists outside of time, so for Him there's no before or after: everything happens at once. Therefore God could have created the Universe as soon as He existed.
    Which would make the universe infinite and eternal aswell.

    God doesn't need a reason to do anything.
    He's supposed to be perfect. What reason does a perfect being have to create anything? Even the universe?

    He gave us the ability to have knowledge.
    Okay.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

    Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

  4. #29
    In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.
    Posts
    15,996

    Default

    The Universe exists within time, and so doesn't have to be eternal.

    Like I said, He doesn't need one. He just did, and that's all there is to it.

  5. #30
    The Gentleman Fuhrer Pikatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In a house presumably on Earth.
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    The Universe exists within time, and so doesn't have to be eternal.
    But it would be. If the universe was created at the same instant God existed (ie; for all eternity), then it would also be eternal, but then couldn't have been created, thus causing that contradiction. Don't know how much simpler I can put this.

    Like I said, He doesn't need one. He just did, and that's all there is to it.
    That's not an answer, The Editor.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

    Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

  6. #31
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,804

    Default

    I'm not actually sure the bible ever really says anything about God being omnipotent. If anything it portrays him as not being omnipotent/present at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhere in the bible
    "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me.”
    sounds pretty singularly-present to me
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  7. #32
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor
    God, being eternal, exists outside of time, so for Him there's no before or after: everything happens at once.
    Have you read anything in the Bible? This is extremely untrue.
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  8. #33
    Father Figure Qoorl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pokedream
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    God (the Mod) Is abosolutely right in this instance. The Bible doesn't really say God is omniscient and omnipresent. (AT LEAST not in the Old Testament) Just like it never really says that the Big G is good. I'm a Christian and all, but I find it hard to believe that God the Father is All Good. The purely good award goes to his Son/Other Part Jesus H. Christ. God the Father, if you read the Bible at all, is vengeful, spiteful and petty. Read Job.... he suffers a great deal. In the end, yes he's made into a better person, he gained a good deal more humility, but the whole thing was basically God showing off and putting Satan in his place. Yes I love God, but I would be VERY hesitant to call him entirely Benevolent.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

  9. #34
    The Gentleman Fuhrer Pikatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In a house presumably on Earth.
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    Genesis 17:1: The Lord appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty".

    Gen 35:11: And God said to him, "I am God Almighty".

    Rev 19:6: For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
    The Bible definitely implies he's omnipotent.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

    Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

  10. #35
    Father Figure Qoorl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pokedream
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    And you'll notice I didn't say that he wasn't.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

  11. #36
    The Gentleman Fuhrer Pikatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In a house presumably on Earth.
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    I was obviously referring to Tim's post you big fool.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

    Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

  12. #37
    Father Figure Qoorl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pokedream
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    I'm a moderate sized fool, you nihilistic ass, but sorry bout that, my mistake.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

  13. #38
    The Gentleman Fuhrer Pikatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In a house presumably on Earth.
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    Forgive my snappishness, I'm tired. Need to sleep.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

    Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

  14. #39
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikatwo View Post
    you big fool.
    ahahahahaha

    But yeah almighty/all-mighty doesn't necissarily mean onmipotent/present. More or less used as buzz words to mean extremely powerful. Being all-mighty isn't the same as being all-seeing and all-knowing.
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  15. #40
    Beginning Trainer Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LIVE! In Concert!
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikatwo View Post
    If God is all-knowing and all-powerful and has an infinite existence, why did he decide to create the universe only 13.5 billion years ago?
    My theory is that he created the earth 6 thousand years ago, not 13.5 billion. I don't know where you come up with those numbers.



    It should have always existed. What held him back? If something held him back, he's limiting his omnipotence. If he's existed for eternity and is all-knowing, he's known for eternity that he was going to create the universe, so therefore the universe should have existed for all eternity aswell, but this is illogical because it would mean he couldn't have created it. It would have always been there. So either God hasn't existed for eternity, both God and the universe have an infinite existence and both weren't created or God doesn't exist and the universe is finite and was created by itself
    God is outside of time. He created time with all other things. The mind cannot concieve what exactly or how exactly eternity is. God just 'is'.


    Created them for what purpose? God would have no reason or need to create anything.[/quote] God created because he loves. He wants to love even though we are imperfect.

  16. #41
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,804

    Default

    I don't know where you come up with those numbers.
    Oh geez, I dunno, generally accepted scientific measurements?
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  17. #42
    Advanced Trainer Nocturne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    8,353

    Default

    See, at least Tim gives some logic and proof to back up his claims, whether or not I disagree with them. People like Ghost that cite nothing and give no proof in the slightest to their beliefs annoy me, because they seem like massive sheep.

  18. #43
    In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.
    Posts
    15,996

    Default

    I'm not doing this from a biblical basis, mainly because the Bible is bunk. Philosophy is where I'm coming from.

  19. #44
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,804

    Default

    then your posting makes less sense
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  20. #45
    Father Figure Qoorl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pokedream
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    At the risk of making myself seem like an even bigger heretic, I'm gonna have to disagree with ya Ghost. God created because he wanted to be loved. He created Mankind basically for amusemen and gratification. True he does Love us, but his reasons were slightly more selfish than you present.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

  21. #46
    In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.
    Posts
    15,996

    Default

    How so, God? The god of the philosophers is simply more clearly defined than the biblical version, while remaining within the three primary boundary conditions: omnipotence, omniscience, and omnibenevolence. Any further characteristics are derived from the premise "God is the greatest possible being".

  22. #47
    Beginning Trainer Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LIVE! In Concert!
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qoorl View Post
    At the risk of making myself seem like an even bigger heretic, I'm gonna have to disagree with ya Ghost. God created because he wanted to be loved. He created Mankind basically for amusemen and gratification. True he does Love us, but his reasons were slightly more selfish than you present.
    It can go both ways. In my opinion yes he did it for amusment too, but he definatly cares. I'm not going to try to push myself on people but I will stand up for what I believe. I may not be the best debater and have all the proof in the world, but I have faith.

    Suck my cock nocturne.

  23. #48
    Advanced Trainer Nocturne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    8,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It can go both ways. In my opinion yes he did it for amusment too, but he definatly cares. I'm not going to try to push myself on people but I will stand up for what I believe. I may not be the best debater and have all the proof in the world, but I have faith.

    Suck my cock nocturne.
    You insolent prick. Ghost, what the fuck have you, at any point in time, contributed to this forum? You are a worthless nub with a monstrous sense of entitlement who has yet to be recognized in a positive sense by anyone on this forum. Generally, your posts are either ridiculous claims and flip-floppings in debates with no proof to back you up; senseless, bandwagoning "flame" posts directed towards me; or general ego stroking.

    On the terms of your post, that is ridiculous. You're the one that made the thread, and now say that god is omnipotent and essentially shun the beliefs of atheists without any proof, continue to say nothing of value and just say "God is all powerful. He made [insert human quality here] when he created humankind". Unless you actually get the brains to prove why your faith has any chance of being correct, and stop parroting whoever it may be that led you to this faith, your faith means absolutely nothing. Stop trying to play the martyr and learn how to handle yourself.

  24. #49
    Beginning Trainer Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LIVE! In Concert!
    Posts
    120

    Default

    ok

  25. #50
    The Gentleman Fuhrer Pikatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In a house presumably on Earth.
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    My theory is that he created the earth 6 thousand years ago, not 13.5 billion. I don't know where you come up with those numbers.
    I said the universe is 13.5 billion years old, I never said anything about the Earth. Learn to read.

    God is outside of time. He created time with all other things. The mind cannot concieve what exactly or how exactly eternity is. God just 'is'.
    Time is a measurement of motion and change. A timeless state can't contain motion or change, therefore if God is timeless, he couldn't bring about change, ie; no creating the universe. Time can't be created since creation requires time.

    God created because he loves. He wants to love even though we are imperfect.
    Okay. A perfect being who is supposed to be complete and lacking nothing somehow feels the need to love.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

    Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •