Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE UNIVERSE

Default THE UNIVERSE

Yeah cosmology RULES. Talk about the mysteries of the Universe. FOR ONE, do you think there are other intelligent life in the Universe? Considering the age, variables, and how long it takes life to evolve, I don't think it's unreasonable to think thus far humans are the most evolved form of life or pretty close to it.

WOOO UNIVERSE

Most likely there is.

http://sizeofworldse.ytmnd.com/

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

It's possible, but not completely probable. They would need a Solar system almost exactly like this one or hypotheticly better. And even if they did exist, we would never know or care about them, because they are so fucking far away most likely we'll never ever see them ever. And they would probably have the same trouble with intergalactic travel that we do, because moving at lightspeed is tricky buissiness no matter who or what you are.

Oh yeah, and I think you mean astronomy.

Cosmology: study of the universe.

I believe that life elsewhere in the Universe most likely exists. It doesn't necessarily have to be intelligent, carbon-based organic life like us either, it could be energy-based or alloy-based. Improbable, but not impossible.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

How did I know Pikatwo would post in this thread?

Are you sure that's what it's called?

Quote Originally Posted by Borkly View Post
    Most likely there is.

http://sizeofworldse.ytmnd.com/
    Just because there are bigger things doesn't mean there are things that better sustain life. Between the forming of galaxies, stars, and then planets, there hasnt been a WHOLE lot of time for life to form, especially with the massive variables it has. Earth having life is basically an accident it is so unlikely.

You know I can't resist a good discussion.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

Quote Originally Posted by Mario The Black Knight View Post

IM POSITIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario The Black Knight View Post

Because Pikatwo posts in every debate thread that primarily contains intelligent members or is about religion?

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Just because there are bigger things doesn't mean there are things that better sustain life. Between the forming of galaxies, stars, and then planets, there hasnt been a WHOLE lot of time for life to form, especially with the massive variables it has. Earth having life is basically an accident it is so unlikely.
    But you also have to take into account the fact that the universe is constantly expanding in every direction, so more opportunities for life grow every second.

Guys, it was a joke. I was making reference to the fact that he's a nerd about Sci-Fi stuff like this. Doesn't anyone know their PD member Trivia?

Mario I am the PD Member Trivia champion don't you even try to play that mess with me.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Seeing as the Earth is roughly 1/3 the age of the universe (4.5 billion compared to 13.5 billion years), it's not unreasonable to believe that there may be life in other solar systems, perhaps even more evolved than we are. However, seeing as the Earth is formed from many heavy elements, a similar planet would require similar conitions, so the possibility is reduced a little.

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    Seeing as the Earth is roughly 1/3 the age of the universe (4.5 billion compared to 13.5 billion years), it's not unreasonable to believe that there may be life in other solar systems, perhaps even more evolved than we are. However, seeing as the Earth is formed from many heavy elements, a similar planet would require similar conitions, so the possibility is reduced a little.
    yeah but its not like everywhere else in the universe didnt need the massive amount of time it takes to form galaxies stars and solar systems

other intelligent life in the universe? It's highly possible. Not to mention that there are OTHER universes out there, so the possibilities are infinite

Not to mention that there are OTHER universes out there
    Highly hypothetical at best.

Within each galaxy thousands of solar systems can form.

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    other intelligent life in the universe? It's highly possible. Not to mention that there are OTHER universes out there, so the possibilities are infinite
    As per the string theory. But the technical definition of a universe is "everything that physically exists: the entirety of space and time, all forms of matter, energy and momentum, and the physical laws and constants that govern them".

alternate universes are still possible though. we can't prove it sure, but we can't not prove it either

Nocturne, that definition means there could be other universes with different physical laws and constants.

A universe without space and time?

No, a universe with a different gravitational constant, Plankc Constant, permittivity of free space, atomic mass and so on. By the definition of universe you put up, a universe which has different laws is a different universe to ours.

then there is this huge crazy theory that says that there are "multi-universes" which are large masses with millions of universes inside of them

Well, I believe they're called multiverses because multi-universe just plain contradicts itself. xD

Everything we know in cosmology I believe has reasonable doubt, because humans know very little about the universe outside of our solar system, and even within it. But I do believe that it's highly possible that there is life beyond the Earth, considering how large our universe is. I do doubt, however, a living race that has surpassed the Earth in technology. Most likely there could be simple organisms but not nearly as advanced as our world is. It's not impossible for there to be some race that has surpassed Earth, but it seems improbable. The chances of humans to ever find them, however, is next to nothing. Our space travel has only been able to take people to the moon [there's even doubt in that], which in itself is only 38,4403km between the two. Seperate galaxies and planets are light years away.

What do people think of the metric expansion of space, as in an expanding universe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast