Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THE UNIVERSE

I do believe there are hundreds of other Solar Systems and whatever.

Last year in French class, my teacher made us read an article of how they found another planet really really far away. It's just like Earth, except the density is two times greater. It'll take 70 years for an atronaut to get there.

This was not a story, it came out of the newspaper.
    ChikaraGoku King AnimeSakura Blossom

Since we have no idea how far we are from the center of our universe, we could very well be on the lower levels of technology in the universe. We may be a recently formed (relatively) galaxy on the fringes of the universe. Perhaps there are other galaxies with species much more advanced than our own.

I do doubt, however, a living race that has surpassed the Earth in technology. Most likely there could be simple organisms but not nearly as advanced as our world is.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Thanks. I needed that. ^_^

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

For all this talk of extra-terrestial lifer, all we really want to know is if it will want to kill us.

Or if we can fuck it. People would be like, "There he goes. Homeboy fucked a Martian once."

No, that's what total idiots like you care about.

Quote Originally Posted by KS Jr. View Post
    Since we have no idea how far we are from the center of our universe, we could very well be on the lower levels of technology in the universe. We may be a recently formed (relatively) galaxy on the fringes of the universe. Perhaps there are other galaxies with species much more advanced than our own.
    well older stars have completely different compositions and elements so not really

ALSO interesting to ponder. The universe is estimated at 100 billion light years across. It is 13.7 billion years old. Objects cannot move faster than light. HMMMMM.

No, they cannot move faster than light now, due to the laws of physics. However, at a time when the universe is densely packed together, the laws of physics more or less break down, allowing a very rapid expansion which would then be slowed by that limitation.

A related (and interesting) question is why light has a maximum speed. The speed of something basically depends on how much energy it has, and this comes from the equation E=(mv^2)/2 However, light has no mass, therefore E=0. This means that the speed should be absolutely anything. Similarly, by F=ma, light can have any acceleration, and cannot be acted on by forces. Clearly both of these ideas are stupid, as shown by numerous pieces of data, so what is going on?

Well light is made of photos, and photos are massless, so it does stand to reason that something with mass cannot have a maximum speed exceeding the maximum speed of something without mass. Personally though I'm not a fan of Einsteinian theories.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    well older stars have completely different compositions and elements so not really
    It is reasonable that life could evolve in those circumstances then. They would simply evolve in a different manner than life on Earth, and live in a much different manner.

The point I was getting at is that there appears to be no reason for light to have a maximum speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    I do believe there are hundreds of other Solar Systems and whatever.
    There are no other Solar Systems. There is only one, the one we inhabit because 'solar' refers to our star, the Sun. If you're referring to 'planetary systems' or 'star systems', well, that's already palpably apparent. Thank you for stating the obvious. In the Milky Way alone we've found evidence of over 70 planetary systems. And there are hundreds of more galaxies out there. To put in bluntly, when non-stellar objects are dragged into a star's gravitational pull it becomes a planetary system. But there are no other Solar Systems, that name is unique to ours.

It's a nice thought though, if there are beings out there that resemble Marvin the Martian or something. I'm quite sure he's fuckable.

If we were to translate the language of an alien culture into English (non-american), then we'd find that they call there system the solar system too, and they call their sun the Sun. It's just conventional. To be different would mean having awareness of the conventions of a society you don't even know about. And they'd call star systems star systems.

God, do you expect me to believe that after 13.7 billion years, in an expanse of 100 billion lightyears in diameter, the pinnacle of technology has been achieved by a sPecies which only discovered tool use half a million years ago and currently uses technology only a fraction of it's sPecies knows how to make? Sorry dude, I don't care how stars age. With odds like that, in all that time and sPace to develop, if the Earth's varied organic population all sPung from a few single cells, I have no reason to believe there aren't starships out there piloted by X-Men and Pokemon.

No, that's what total idiots like you care about.
    This coming from somebody who's only scientific curiosity regarding the existence of life outside this big wet rock of our regards whether or not it will eat us. You're fucking precious!

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    If we were to translate the language of an alien culture into English (non-american), then we'd find that they call there system the solar system too, and they call their sun the Sun. It's just conventional. To be different would mean having awareness of the conventions of a society you don't even know about. And they'd call star systems star systems.
    True to an extent, but we're kind of sPlitting hairs there. They might also call their homeworld Earth by that logic because 'Earth' is also their world for dirt as it is here. Assuming they have an audible form of communication, they might call their sun *click click*Flaflooga. Thus, they would live in the *click click*Flafloogar system.

I'm interested in what it's like and so on, society in general worries about its imminent death.

Oh, I'm sure the military does. But supposing an anthropomorphic God did in fact create Man in his image and, similarly, the sentient beings throughout the universe are typically humanoid as unoriginal science fiction designs tell us, then by all means there are hot-ass green women out there with 3 huge tits and all the social modesty of a Bonobo Ape.

Also regarding the translation topic, it also depends on who interprets the language, what words they use and the connotations they have.

All words describe something, and so all languages have an equivalent word or phrase (okay, that's not actually true, but it's mostly true, i.e. to the degree that the word for their 'solar' system will be different to the one for another star system).

... Right...

New question; What do you think UFO's are? Alien sPaceships? Robotic scouts from alien worlds? Government experiments? Swamp gas? Interdimensional visitors? God's frisbees? Time machines? Intraterrestrial explorers?

Consider this: The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook - Travel has this to say about UFO sightings: "Most sightings occur at around 9:00 pm, with a secondary peak at 3:00 am. They often occur in secluded areas, near military installations."

I have that one. It's the travel edition right? Go for the eyes!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast