Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you believe there is a Heaven and Hell?

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

It's nowhere near 50%. The average life expectancy is around 70, right? It's probably a normal distribution, so that means most people die around 70. Therefore the odds are against her dying before any of us (unless one of us is younger than her of course).

She still can die at any time.

I can willingly confess I do have my uncertainties about such thing as an afterlife. But what disgusts me about the concept of Heaven and Hell in Christianity is the vain belief and philosophy that you should do good deeds in this life just to get into another. Should the motive to help others be so that you can get yourself a ticket into the gates of Heaven? Or should, instead, we be committing good deeds for the altruistic view for the wellbeing of yourself and others? I would suppose this concept would have begun as some sort of empty threat as a cause do good for the world, but if you live by the faith that in order to acquire eternal bliss, you should help others and not out of your own conscience, then it really is a saddening life to live.

Welcome to Eternal Hell. How may me help you? Espeon's Fury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Reincarnation.
    qft

Since Judaism has no specific views on life after death, I can stay true to my religion AND have pretty much whatever views I want. ^__^ And reincarnation fits for me; I'd hate to be stuck in one place, never doing anything or changing for the rest of eternity, be it in heaven or hell, but I certainly don't want to just die and be gone forever. Reincarnation works for me, because you live many different lives, but a person's "essence" never actually leaves the Earth.

Also concurring with the above post, that Heaven and Hell are just basically something invented to blackmail those who believed it into living 'perfect lives'. Not even accounting for the fact that a pure life would be thoroughly boring and uninteresting, it's an absolutely pathetic empty threat.
    Pairs: The LacemakerThe NiginatorTeresaHickyNinetails009KS Jr.YojimboGokuQoorl

E.N.T.E.I.
    Hatches @ 2520
    Completed @ 2768

Welcome to Eternal Hell. How may me help you? Espeon's Fury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    It's nowhere near 50%. The average life expectancy is around 70, right? It's probably a normal distribution, so that means most people die around 70. Therefore the odds are against her dying before any of us (unless one of us is younger than her of course).
    No, it just means that the average age people live to is 70 or so. Somebody could live to 110, and another could live to only 30, and the average between the two would still be 70. The majority of people actually live older than 70, but there are enough young deaths to even the scales at 70.
    Pairs: The LacemakerThe NiginatorTeresaHickyNinetails009KS Jr.YojimboGokuQoorl

E.N.T.E.I.
    Hatches @ 2520
    Completed @ 2768

I'm not accusing the concept of Heaven and Hell as pathetic, nor people who believe in it as moronic, I am accusing those who follow this belief and do good deeds for the sake of an afterlife as selfish. To live your life just waiting for a better next one is mercenary.

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    She still can die at any time.
    Adjourned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

Yes she could. However, she is unlikely to. It's considerably more likely that we'll all die first.

Actually reincarnation wouldn't have an effect on the physical universe (provided you accept that not everything has been reincarnated yet; the number of living things has increased overall, therefore new souls must be created), because a reincarnated soul knows nothing of its past. Therefore reincaration only affects the afterlife.
    I actually read and heard somewhere of someone remembering their past life. no joke. they could've been making it up, but they was pretty convincing.

As usual I shall remain sceptical until blahblahblah... Whatever. Doesn't matter. If it is true, then it's an exception to the rule. In general, souls interacting with the physical world through a physical body do not have memories.

Yes she could. However, she is unlikely to. It's considerably more likely that we'll all die first.
    Actually, it is likely. She can die of cancer or anything. Cancer is pretty common nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdra
    I actually read and heard somewhere of someone remembering their past life. no joke. they could've been making it up, but they was pretty convincing.
    I don't remember my old life. I don't think anyone else here does. Or anyone else in the world.

Maybe the person had mental problems that made them think that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123