Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think arrangd marriages are alright?

Default Do you think arrangd marriages are alright?

Personally, I'm against it. I think it's wrong to decide someone's future for them. A lot of the time, the person they end up marrying could be someone they hate. They should be allowed to choose who they spend the rest of their life with, and who they have kids with.

I have a friend called Abera, who is Sri Lankan (I think), and she's been "engaged" since she was five. She really doesn't like this guy, but there's nothing she could do about it. I feel bad for her.

Oh shit there's a typo in the title Can someone fix it?

Personally, I'd rather that if I ended up with a guy (or girl) that I disliked, that it wasn't my fault for choosing them. Of course, I'm completely against arranged marriages, because you have to freedom of choice, but there are occasions where it's better. Who knows what you'll think of someone after five, ten, twenty years with them?
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

Now you should all feel bad for the medieval princesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Now you should all feel bad for the medieval princesses.
    It's still done today. My friend's been engaged since she was five!

Arranged marriages have been part of history for centuries, and for some it's a highly respected and sacred tradition in their culture so I would not oppose it. Although, saying that, for myself I believe I would rather have the choice of who to marry. Because of this newfound independence since the last few decades, choice appears essential for those in this generation.

Even so, betrothal has its fair share of advantages. They can ensure a prominent social standing in life. And, ultimately, when parents marry their children off their intentions are to build the most promising future for their children. And even if some fail to realise it, betrothal can benefit in many ways.

If I were to have been raised in a different cultural setting, perhaps my views would differ in some ways, but because I was brought up in this generation of choice I would not want to have this liberty and freedom taken away. I can understand the reasons behind betrothal and do not denote it as an outdated obsolete tradition, because to many it's a ritual of much importance. Although we must remember, we become lost because we are free.

I think back in Russia I knew a peasant (I don't know the correct English word for this, sorry) I met while I was at Red Square, and she was arranged to be married. I never really had to a chance to talk to her much, I was far too sheltered to be allowed to hang out with non-nobles (Again, no idea the correct word, these must make me sound so spoiled.)

Anyways, I think it should be respected as a part of most cultures heritage, but with the way the world is so globalized, it should not be put into practice. It just seems cruel when people realize the potential they have.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Arranged marriages hold back love. And that's wrong.

Disembowelment is forthcoming Yojimbo's Avatar

Most arranged marriages end in divorce anyway though, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Then we will dye easter eggs and watch stupid horror movies until she pisses her pants and I die.
    Im growing impatient with these malevolent slithering reptiles on this bloody aircraft.
    - Snakes on a Plane (As if spoken by a proper Englishman)

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Most arranged marriages end in divorce anyway though, right?
    I thought that's just American marriages.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

I wouldn't think so. Traditions are rarely ignored.

Arranged Marriages are horrible ideas. I once knew a girl who grew up in an Indian household, and even though she had a boyfriend that she loved very much, she was married off to some middle aged creep as soon as she turned 18

I'm pretty sure the Yemeni girl I fell in love with years ago is married by now to her douchebag half cousin who probably doesn't appreciate her and confuses her positive, submissive attitude as worship for the ground he walks on...

Please don't confuse my general hatred of Yemeni men with redneck post-9/11 brainwash arabs-suck patriotism. It stems from my hatred of her father.

Yes, arranged marriages are sucky ideas and I don't care whose fucking culture I offend. It is the right of every organism on this planet to pick out their own mate and that abomination of an institution was probably developed a little while after agriculture and the human sPecies lost it's innocence.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

I think it's not right because everyone should pick who they would like to marry,not have somebody else pick for them.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

I think you are a very narrow minded person. Firstly our perents can't make us do anything we don't want to just like white perents can't make there kids do anything. Arranged marriages have changed a lot, these days it's arranged introduction ie we are introduced to people and if we do n't like each other we do n't have to marry them, there's no pressure. I want to have an arranged marriage as I think it's the best option option for myself.
    Last edited by Hoang; 03-10-2008 at 06:07 PM.

I sure am norrow minded then. Some people are forced because it is tradition in their religion, and their parents don't want to go against it. Some people have to marry whomever their parents have chosen for them. Not many people who have had arranged marriages are happy. Quite a few of my friends' parents have had arranged marriages, and they want to kill each other, but don't get a divorce because it's not part of religion.

Whew,I thought that was aimed at me.Anyways,Whether it's tradition or their religion,I still don't think it's right.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang View Post
    I think you are a very narrow minded person. Firstly our perents can't make us do anything we don't want to just like white perents can't make there kids do anything. Arranged marriages have changed a lot, these days it's arranged introduction ie we are introduced to people and if we do n't like each other we do n't have to marry them, there's no pressure. I want to have an arranged marriage as I think it's the best option option for myself.
    Then for you at least, I can pretend to be happy. v_v,

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

a cowards way out IMO

but if you really want to...go ahead
    When the Devil is too busy
    And Death's a bit too much
    They call on me by name you see,
    For my special touch.

I really couldn't imagine having a relationship that my parents set up. I don't think that my parents have liked a single one of my girlfriends.
    I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart] and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

Who could imagine that cleary anyway?
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

i was joking i dont really have that option but it could be an interesting experience and maybe more

I think you may be mixing up "arranged marriage" with "blind date".

yeah this is hardly how most arranged marriages go which is what this thread was addressing. thats probably how modern arranged marriages work in most asian cultures where it is still just a bit of a tradition - that's not even really an arranged marriage, it's just parents setting their kids up basically. arranged marriages by force certainly go on in plenty of places like india.

I think arranged marriages have good and bad parts. In history arranged marriages were often to make the family climb in there status and/or money. That makes a small amount of sense. Arranged marriages now are another story. Why should a person have to spend there life with a person they might despise just because there parents thought it was best for them? They should not. What is the point? Unless you can see into the future and see that your child will need an arranged marriage I would say arranged marriages are not of the good.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][CENTER]Banner made by me. Pictures by someone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast