Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter...

Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. Midnight the dark Espeon's Avatar

Default Easter...

Who here knows the true meaning? I do...Within this serious holiday, many have fallen short of it's true meaning...JESUS...The resurrection of Christ...I just wanted to remind all of you what it's about, because many have fallen short of it's TRUE meaning...
    -Midnight
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15474
    ^Some pretty freaky crap, check it out.
    ~Current avatar (and most of my sig) made by Ed~
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    Negr O's! now with marshmallow bling and chicken!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

*withholds his wrath from Kirbx*

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

With good reason, as it happens. Some holidays spread out from their religion and get taken up by others, eventually becoming secular. Christmas and Halloween are two other examples.

Yes, but do you agree that the holiday has become too material, like christmas?
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

Yes. Christmas is understandable: it's a giving holiday. Halloween is less understandable: fear and, uh, candy? But Easter is just odd. How does something like this evolve? It went from the resurrection of Jesus to giving people chocolate eggs, and that just seems wrong to me.

In some cultures, egg means new life...I am not complaining about chocolate...It's a bonus...But the real meaning is hidden...
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

I like Cadbury Mini Eggs.
    [CENTER]
    For Lord Dagon forever reborn in blood and fire from the Waters of Oblivion
    ATTN EVERYONE: STOP TAKING ME SO SERIOUSLY

If I remember rightly, Easter is tied in with paganism.

Almost every current Christian holiday is somehow related to some pagan holiday.
    [CENTER]
    For Lord Dagon forever reborn in blood and fire from the Waters of Oblivion
    ATTN EVERYONE: STOP TAKING ME SO SERIOUSLY

Water is also another symbol of life...
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

rolleyes

all christian holidays have root in ancient pagan rituals

oh cool miss raichu already explained it. i dont really read threads like this before i post in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Raichu View Post
    I like Cadbury Mini Eggs.
    Concurred. I remember last year there being a slight controversy on a 1KG chocolate eggs, massive one, and on the back was a style of chart, showing your level of gluttony dependent on the period of time it takes you to finish it.

All Christian holidays are related to pagan holidays because they ARE pagan holidays. Even if you don't believe (don't know why you wouldn't) that Judaism copied other religions (up to and including Jesus) it's a well documented fact that the Catholic church shanghaied other religion's practices and beliefs, threw a little Jesus in the mix, and called it a Christian holiday. Nowhere is this more prominent than Easter and Christmas.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Jesus is awesome...
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight the dark Espeon View Post
    Jesus is awesome...

As for the whole Pagan thing... if you've read the Bible, Christianity does not actually have any "holidays". The medieval Catholic Church, which was very corrupt , albeit powerful, created most of the holidays. The only real rituals that Christians should practice (that Jesus commanded) are baptism and Communion.
    Though I would like to know which pagan holiday Christians stole form to create Easter.
    I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart] and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

It's mostly astrological. The celebration of Christmas dates back long before Roman times to the celebration of the winter solstice. This is the shortest day of the year, and different peoples all over the world recognized this event as significant as it meant longer days and the promise of spring. Easter also has very ancient roots as it's the celebration of the spring equinox, the time of year when the days begin to be longer than the nights. Many gods and myths were created around these phenomenon and that's where some of the strange traditions come from, like christmas trees, yule logs, easter bunnies, etc.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by NidoKING View Post

As for the whole Pagan thing... if you've read the Bible, Christianity does not actually have any "holidays". The medieval Catholic Church, which was very corrupt , albeit powerful, created most of the holidays. The only real rituals that Christians should practice (that Jesus commanded) are baptism and Communion.
    Though I would like to know which pagan holiday Christians stole form to create Easter.

Easter is the resurection of Christ...not some STOLEN holiday...
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

Oh I know, I just wanted to see what RC would say it was stolen from.

Just because a holiday happens around the same time as another more ancient one does not mean that it was "stolen" RC...
    I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart] and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

The gods and myths surrounding the spring equinox followed similar patterns. Most of them held in common that the god would die, be dead for 3 days, and be resurrected. The resurrection was not normally celebrated until the spring equinox. These gods were commonly born on the 25th of December. On the winter solstice the god would "die" and after the winter solstice, the sun stays in the lowest position of the sky for 3 days, not noticeably moving until the 3rd day, December 25th, when it moves north. This was considered the birthday for many sun gods. Their resurrection however was celebrated on the spring equinox.

For a recap, many sun gods thought up thousands of years before Jesus were dying (some even by crucifixion) and coming back to life in 3 days, and their resurrections were celebrated around the time of easter. I could list many more examples of how Jesus correlates to other gods but I don't want to digress. The point is that easter was directly plagiarized from numerous popular religions that far predate Christianity. Not that I can fault them for it, all religions steal from other religions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lacemaker View Post
    Concurred. I remember last year there being a slight controversy on a 1KG chocolate eggs, massive one, and on the back was a style of chart, showing your level of gluttony dependent on the period of time it takes you to finish it.
    Creme Eggs are better than the Mini Eggs. Mini Eggs remind me of school.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Easter and Christmas both coincided with pagan/Roman holidays, and so ended up being glued together for two reasons:
    1) It made it easier for people who followed them to get involved with the Church.
    2) It allowed the Church to say "these festivals are Christian, not pagan", thereby eliminating paganism.

Christianity has that effect. It has essentially wiped out dozens of religious practices an replaced them with crude mockeries, claiming they are in no way related to the original, making the original something to be held in bad taste, or even claiming the original stole from Christianity. A good metaphor would be to compare Christianity to a 5th grader writing a paper by copy and pasting pieces of Wikipedia articles, then when his teacher calls him on it he claims that he's the one who edited the articles.

So, uh, are we on "Case Closed"?

Oh please. Christianity was a religion foretold since the dawn of man, beginning with Judaism. Yes, many of the practices were indoctrinated from other religions post-ressurection, as a result of the Romaan Empire making Christianity the offical state religion. The core of Christianity is not in any way a "mockery" of other religions. Pick up a Bible sometime and read the Old Testament, you'll see that the stuff from Christianity has been around sine the beginning. (The real stuff, not what the Catholic church brought in)

Not quite yet Ed

A lot of stuff in the Bible seems to have gone missing these days, come to think of it. Passover, the vast number of things you can be stoned to death for... Modern religion seems to have become distanced from its roots.

Oh well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast