Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easter...

Most of that is because of governments... At least for people who follow the Jewish faith. The stoning and the Passover aren't part of Christianity, the Passover was replaced by the Communion taken in rememberence of what Jesus did.

Our church out here just took communion for the first time this Easter!
    I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart] and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Still, Passover should be recognised because it was such an incredibly important time.

Quote Originally Posted by NidoKING View Post
    Oh please. Christianity was a religion foretold since the dawn of man, beginning with Judaism. Yes, many of the practices were indoctrinated from other religions post-ressurection, as a result of the Romaan Empire making Christianity the offical state religion. The core of Christianity is not in any way a "mockery" of other religions. Pick up a Bible sometime and read the Old Testament, you'll see that the stuff from Christianity has been around sine the beginning. (The real stuff, not what the Catholic church brought in)

Not quite yet Ed
    Just a news flash, Judaism isn't as old as the dawn of man. It's a patchwork of mostly Egyptian myths. That would make sense since they lived under Egyptian control for thousands of years. Plus we know as a fact that most of the stories in the old testament were completely false.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Fun to read, though

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedCheetah View Post
    Just a news flash, Judaism isn't as old as the dawn of man. It's a patchwork of mostly Egyptian myths. That would make sense since they lived under Egyptian control for thousands of years. Plus we know as a fact that most of the stories in the old testament were completely false.
    What made me lose faith in the Old Testament was the fact that it claimed the world was created six thousand years ago. How can anyone believe a book that claims such idioticy?

You know what's really weird? Pharoah was all set to let the Israelites go, but God "hardened his heart". God. Why in the name of Hades would he do that!?

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    You know what's really weird? Pharoah was all set to let the Israelites go, but God "hardened his heart". God. Why in the name of Hades would he do that!?
    The Israelites weren't very smart... so if he just let them go, they would just go off and do their own thing. That's my idea anyways, I actually just read it all recently.

As for the idio... whatever that word was (if it's actually real...), the earth being a few thousand years old is MUCH MUCH MUCH more conclusive with ALL the evidence found in science... all that "carbon dating" crap, its fake. Do a little research, please. (If that sounded sarcastic, it wasn't meant to be... I'm serious, research it, look for facts)

Jewish traditions are not Egyptian myths... give me a few examples. And what is this "thousands of years"? The Egyptians weren't around for thousands of years, let alone enslaving the entire Israelite nation. And please, where is the old testament false?
    I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart] and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

Half lives of radioactive materials, old chap. Look at them, think for a bit, realise that the world should be a hell of a lot more radioactive than it is if it's only 6000 years old, think that a few billion is much closer to the mark, relax.

Don't worry, I'm relaxed... a little bit too relaxed, since my eyes keep closing.
    What exactly on the earth would be alot more radioactive?

All the radioactive elements. Uranium 238, Plutonium, Carbon-14, Radon... Things like that. Over time they emit radiation in one form or another and become more stable. For example, Carbon-14 emits a beta particle and becomes Nitrogen-14, which is a stable atom.

Quote Originally Posted by NidoKING View Post
    As for the idio... whatever that word was (if it's actually real...), the earth being a few thousand years old is MUCH MUCH MUCH more conclusive with ALL the evidence found in science... all that "carbon dating" crap, its fake. Do a little research, please. (If that sounded sarcastic, it wasn't meant to be... I'm serious, research it, look for facts)
    The Earth being a few thousand years old has no basis whatsoever in science, it's been disproven conclusively. I find it interesting that you dismiss carbon dating as "fake" without providing any links or sources to the information which verifies your claims (probably because they don't exist), and in the same paragraph tell us to do research. Perhaps you should follow your own advice and research something instead of just assuming and making a big fool of yourself.

He [Willard Libby] first demonstrated the accuracy of radiocarbon dating by accurately measuring the age of wood from an ancient Egyptian royal barge whose age was known from historical documents.
    Excerpt from the Wikipedia article.

And please, where is the old testament false?
    The entire creation account in Genesis. There's one.
    The Pikatwo Diaries ...

Ultimate Destiny: Ninetales 009 Adventures - an original and exciting Pokemon fan fiction, updated whenever-

the earth being a few thousand years old is MUCH MUCH MUCH more conclusive with ALL the evidence found in science

i think we have found the single stupidest statement in the history of this particular forum

Congratulations!

It is a pretty staggering accomplishment.

You should give him a medal or something.

Jewish traditions are not Egyptian myths... give me a few examples. And what is this "thousands of years"? The Egyptians weren't around for thousands of years, let alone enslaving the entire Israelite nation. And please, where is the old testament false?
    I can't believe I'm responding to this...

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/GMappendix.htm

That is a pretty good list of similarities between christianity/judaism and egyptian mythology.

Second, the Egyptians were around for over 5000 years. Even a most cursory glance at a history book will show they are one of the oldest and longest spanning civilizations in history.

Third, damn near all the old testament is fairy tales. Adam and Eve, the flood, abraham, moses, the conquering of canaan, etc.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

really rc it is not hard to find semi-credible sources for this kind of thing do you really have to link zeitgeist. if you are debating with someone and they source zeitgeist, they pretty much automatically lose.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    It is a pretty staggering accomplishment.
    I'm overwhelmed

I need to sit down.

really rc it is not hard to find semi-credible sources for this kind of thing do you really have to link zeitgeist. if you are debating with someone and they source zeitgeist, they pretty much automatically lose.
    It's an off the cuff reference not a term paper. I glean facts from easily accessible sources.

I remember watching that in Religious Studies...

It's an off the cuff reference not a term paper. I glean facts from easily accessible sources.
    still. its zeitgeist.

Banned

i think we have found the single stupidest statement in the history of this particular forum
    I dunno. That's a bit of a stretch.

No it's not, he's dead on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12