Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christianity, a disease?

Quote Originally Posted by RedCheetah View Post
    The topic creator and nearly every post in here is so retarded that I can't think of a proper metaphor. That said:

http://www.bidstrup.com/virus.htm

game. set. match.
    I won. Topic over, mainly cause none of you plebs are able to read anything longer than a paragraph TWO if you're an elite. To condense it the topic creator is correct only in saying that it is a disease but to quote Yahtzee he "couldn't have missed the point more if he shot in the opposite direction and the point was in another country altogether."
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

that guys a boring essayist

I found it fascinating, pleb.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

plebs a boring word

A boring word for a boring people.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoniusX View Post
    Recently I thought to myself... "Is Christianity a disease?" After thinking about all the things Christians (Or just any religion in general.) have been responsible for isn't it just to call them a disease? The sheer lose of life from them killing people alone is staggering! What about the technological hindrance they are? Not to mention it's a sort of concern when nuclear-weapon wielding nations think that there will be a glorious end at some point soon. Not to mention the psychological damage done to people who believe it.

Self-hating mysology?

Because of this, I'd call it a disease. I prefer to think of the people I know with Christianity as sick and in need of the cure of reason. They're not intentionally poisonous. They just spread what they already have.
    People, people, there is a clear definition for this kind of thing. It's called Militant Atheism. Now feel free to back away slowly.

What I don't get, is why people have to bicker about their religion. I mean, Atheists don't believe in a god, doesn't mean they have to enforce it upon other religion. Same goes for every religion, really.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Hence the reason why atheists who try and tell everyone else that religion is bad are called militant atheists. The difference between atheists and militant atheists is the same as that between christians and christofascists.

I am perfectly capable of letting anyone of any religion do their thing. I respect it and sometimes even encourage it. The problems arise when I find they're too incompetent to be allowed to run around unchecked. This includes but is not limited to:

Approaching random people and blathering on about their religion despite protests and dismissals from the unwilling party.

Attaching Jesus fish, bumper stickers with bible verses, etc to their car or wearing them around their neck, then becoming very vocal about how they can't stand or are offended by people who do the same thing but it's a Darwin fish or a pentagram.

People who throw their religion in your face but are totally uninterested in your point of view, patronizing, condescending, or offended when you try to ask questions that don't fall in line with their fantasy of converting every poor soul within earshot.

Pat Robertson.

Play Jesus Camp and pick a spot, any spot will do. Anyone doing that thing.

You just don't like preachy people. Neither do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink-kitty2 View Post
    I can see Demonius's point, which is more about the harm that religion, and Christianity, does. The problem is the way he went about stating it.

Religion is a force that drives people crazy. Religion motivates people to kill their brethren, to destroy cities and tear apart families. But religion gives hope, too. Hope for a new day. Hope for a life better than the one that is currently ours.

It's these issues that drive me away from most religions. But, in this "disease" analogy, I'd say that religion, and Christianity, are more something like Porphyric Hemophilia. It's a pain in the gluteus, but you get some pretty sweet perks while they last.
    Hope. Hope is all very well but there is no fairy out there with a stick with a star on the end of it that is going to magicaly give you what you hope for. You a have to be proactive and work for the things you want.

Well that's my opinion anyway.
    Paired with Link

Finished@ 420 DONE
    *Credit to Anistasia for the Leafeon*

That's why Therevada Buddhism is the greatest religion ever. I'd quite like to find time in my life to take up Buddhism. It's a pity I don't have the patience for meditation...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12