Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: global warming is bullshit

Al time hero of PUK(not really) Koto the Konvict's Avatar

I know, but i'm just saying. And on the last part of my story, thought that suited falling asleep

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kg View Post
    to have a "believe it when i see it" outlook on something on a global scale is ridiculous because by the time you see it, its probably too late to fix it, or it would be much harder to fix. foresight is important!
    I mean when we have consensus for foresight, like when it can be detected in graphs more noticably.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    like when it can be detected in graphs more noticably.

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Don't ask Tim to bring the charts and graphs, he's already got 'em fallin out his pocket

from cracked.com...

Wilhelm Reich Studied How Sex Affects Weather

A psychoanalyst who in the 1940s who was really really focused on sexuality, Wilhelm Reich believed that the human libido had its own kind of crazy kung-fu type chi energy. He called it orgone, because "humptricity" was the name he was saving for his rock band.

He built orgone accumulators, boxes made of metal, steel wool and various other pulled-out-of-his-ass materials so that people could sit inside and absorb all that sexy orgone goodness. Orgone was so awesome it caused weather, the sky being blue, gravity and sexuality. So you really liked sex, Wilhelm. We get it.

But everything good has a downside and apparently orgone radiation was pestered by an opposite force (called deadly orgone radiation) that caused plants around Wilhelm's lab to die and menacing clouds to form. We wish we were making this up. Wilhlem made it up, but we didn't. Anyway, to combat the deadly orgone, Wilhlem did what any rational man would do, he build a "cloud buster," a bunch of tubes that had cables leading to water. He pretty much just got crazier from there.

Laugh all you want, but Wilhelm talked Albert Einstein into studying his orgone accumulator, and the pair spent some time measuring the device to see if it could in fact draw energy from Einstein's boner. We're going to go out on a limb and say that Einstein was drunk off his ass during their entire project.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

Yes, but I mean come on. It went up a little in the past what 10 years. It may just easily go straight down. If it doesn't, I'll believe this shit.

hicky it has gone up significantly in the past 60 or so years

you people JUST DONT GET ME

That graph just looks too normal to me. I don't know why, but it did go down for like 40 years and do some rollercoaster scoop dive. Plus, we had a Mini ice age and a hot period, whats to say it wont just bungie jump itself down in 5-10 years? You of all people should know what I mean, kg.

because during out last warming period, were weren't pumping trillions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. they are called greenhouse gases because they heat the earth. CO2 absorbs heat from the sun and makes the planet hotter - this is a fact. Considering since the Industrial Revolution, humans have been pumping an extreme amount of it into the air, then the current warming period looks less natural. not to mention if the disposal of waste from fuel was improved under the guise of global warming, even if it didn't exist, it would still be a good thing because it would lower pollution.

I didn't deny that. I denied that this will turn out massive, and the solar patterns won't interfere with man's terrible turmoil over the climate. How can we be sure that this won't just be a sudden rise? Well, if it isn't, I'll believe it. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm very environmentally conservative anyway, so what more can I do? I know we weren't pumping ridicolous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere a while ago, but surely the sun itself has more influence on the climate? It has been attributed completely to nature in the past, so who's to say the role of the sun won't suddenly be underestimated and this sudden graph pattern won't scale down within 5-10 years? Well, if the current trend continues, I'll believe global warming.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Well yeah, the number of sun spots is what determines the overall heat on the earth.

the entire Greenland ice shelf defrosted this summer

go fuck yourselfs

yeah fuck anyone against global warming happening. i dont even care about the debate of if it REALLY IS happening or not. the earth is definitely heating up and there are compelling reasons to believe it is because of human emissions.

are there compelling reasons to believe the contrary? maybe but who fucking cares. if it is because of human emissions we could be DESTROYING THE PLANET by doing something preventable. so we should try and not do it, do it less, do it differently, etc, and see if it has any effect. if it doesn't have any effect oh well, it was worth seeing if we could keep ourselfs from destroying the planet. if it does have an effect, good, we kept ourselves from destroying the planet no matter how much dumb conservatives didnt want us to.

Registered Users Regular ElijahWyatt's Avatar

in millions of years the shield around our atmosphere that keeps sunlight out(and in) has been the roughly the same, and in the hundred so years of factories, it has seen noticeble decline. Are you saying that this is not real(like what i'm saying is false?) or are you trying to say that this doesn't contribute to global warming..?

Yes climate shifts occur, but you know why happens in climate shifts? the world heats up OR cools down, the extreme shifts we've been seeing(Super cold in the winter super hot in summer(and not always being in the normal months too)) are not climate shift related(maybe the world is heating up, but that doesn't contribute to the fact the tempertures have been so eratic) are because of this.
    "As for me, all i know is that i know nothing"

i think the conservative argument is that we are going through a natural warming period which happens to correspond almost exactly with humanities use of pollutants.

a step above their other argument of "it snowed in my town last year, take that liberals"

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I think it's probably a combination of the two, warming as part of a natural cycle exacerbated by the burning of fossil fuels. There does exist hardcore evidence that the sun is increasing in activity and we are leaving a period of ice age. I also think you're over-exaggerating a little there, Tim. The planet has been much hotter than it is now without coming close to being "destroyed". That being said, there are numerous other reasons we shouldn't be using fossil fuels anyways, so the point is moot.

The planet has been much hotter than it is now without coming close to being "destroyed".
    at these times could the planet have supported a geographically diverse population of several billions with the technology available today?

Here is what should really scare the fuck out of people, last time the earth heated up a bit, not even at half of this level, over time the entire Greenland ice shelf melted. The incoming cold water from the frozen glacier changed ocean currents in the North Atlantic, no longer giving Europe a warm climate, putting pretty much the entire thing under an ice sheet for 10,000 years. Look at Europe on a map, and compare its latitude to things in North America, Spain is at the same level as Maine, and Europe is at the same level as the Hudson bay for Christ's sake. This isn't even referred as a serious ice age by most scientists as it only effected Europe.

What really scares me is the idea of the whole thing going, our planet hasn't experienced that kind of climate for at least 100 million years, and would probably cause a huge extinction event at the least. Fun fact, the last time all the ice sheets melted like 400 million years ago (pretty much the entire Dinosaur age was a result of the ice sheets melting) it coincided with a rising of CO2 and methane gas that also stopped ocean currents entirely, leading to a 10 million year era called "The time of the great dieing." Just a fun fact.

Oh even more of a super fun fact, the natural gas we frak out of the ground is the same gas that settled 10 million years after the great dieing.

This is why I am heavily against fraking even more than gasoline, because at the worse, ice age from gas, great dieing maybe from methane.

Registered Users Regular ElijahWyatt's Avatar

Fact is we have things avialible to us if this kind of thing does become a "problem". We can always live in colder climates, we can always Make earth Shades so to speak, we can always make underwater civilizations, we can always enact laws that limit emisions of harmful gasses to even more extremes, we have several options if this starts becoming a serious life threatening problem.
    "As for me, all i know is that i know nothing"

I don't think you realize what an ice age is my friend. Massive glaciers will amount as far South as Ohio, Glaciers a 3 times the height of the empire state building once parked themselves on New York city. Sure, lets move south, you may say, but guess what, THERE IS NOT WATER, that's right all your water is now inside the Glaciers, fuck the the oceans are drained to the point where hundreds on miles of continental shelf are now walkable land. Its a little known fact that why humans started to move across the world one million years ago, was because the area in which humans evolved turned into a desert. The same thing is going to happen if an ice age happens, we will be forced to leave out cities and follow the deer onto the continental shelfs. We won't have time to make underground or underwater cities because from what we can tell, an ice age takes full effect is less than 100 years, and we will be out of resources, and in that 100 years its going to get progressively worse. Its not like you can even farm continental shelf, so we will even have to forgo agriculture. The human race will chug on like it has for the past 4 million years, but not the human race we know and love.

An ice age will happen, and the more we heat up the planet, the faster it ironically will take place.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    at these times could the planet have supported a geographically diverse population of several billions with the technology available today?
    Technology will adapt to support the population.

a decade or so after famines kill probably about 2 billion people in the third world and those in the first world deal with incredible food prices and strict water rationing

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    a decade or so after famines kill probably about 2 billion people in the third world and those in the first world deal with incredible food prices and strict water rationing
    where is this coming from?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast