Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Problem of Evil

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Default The Problem of Evil

Anyone thinking of starting a topic supporting Judeo-Christian religions, first solve this problem. Then we'll believe you.

The problem of evil is that, in the world, people suffer all the time. Some of it is our fault, and some isn't. How do you explain this if there is a loving and all powerful God?

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

Well, though I don't give a shit about religon, here's a probable explaination

When he, whomever that may be, Created everything, had to make evil as well as good, otherwise good couldn't really exist because there would be nothing to compare it to. And without that choice to do evil, humanity wouldn't have had free will and wouldn't have been able to truely find happiness. They wouldn't feel good about making the right decision because it's the only choice they would really have. And this good and almighty creator would want to make his people happy if you view him as some almighty leader or as a creator. Sure some become unhappy but thats why free will is there so other people can think of other religons to follow so they can suffer so people who follow his religon can be happy and he can think he did a good job because the people who beileve in him are "happy" while everyone who doesn't follow gets to suffer.

Just a theroy

The problem is that we don't really know what we want. We think we do, but when we get what we desired we realized that it isn't really what we wanted.

I'd rather have nothing than suffering. For sure there would be no good per se, but there would also be no evil, which is a good thing.

Well it wouldn't be a good thing if there was no good.

The Quality Over Quantity Poster Sammi's Avatar

Tell, me, who are you to tell the difference between good and evil, The Editor? I mean, if someone sends out twenty-five nuclear missles to destroy twenty five countries, it's evil, I suppose, in your opinion. But what is the person in question was launching the missles so that he or she could destroy major drug producing facilities? Even though millions of people would die anyways, it'd be both good and bad in a way. I know we all know the principle of good and evil, but do we have the right to seperate the two into different categories and throw all events into one or the other? What if a person stole a loaf of bread to feed his children? This question, I can't really answer, because I don't believe we are allowed to judge the differences between good and evil.
    Links:
    The PokčCommunity | PIForums
    Currently Working On:
    Roleplay | Writing | Better Signature

I mean, if someone sends out twenty-five nuclear missles to destroy twenty five countries, it's evil, I suppose, in your opinion. But what is the person in question was launching the missles so that he or she could destroy major drug producing facilities?
    that is some kind of example

That's a highly debatible subject. "For the greater good?" "The end justify the means?". I believe there are always options to take no matter the situation. But who am I for saying such things anyway.

Good from our point of view, Mario.

The events which lead to such 'necessary evils' are evil. If there were no evil to begin with, there would be no necessary evil either. No starving child, no stealing. No drugs, no nukes.

So then... if death exists because life exists there shouldn't be any life at all?

Is death necessary? Hell no. Therefore there can be life without death.

Not necessary but inevitable. Where life exists there will always be death.

But if there was no evil, there would be no death.

Who is to say that evil has anything to do with death? Death is just the next great adventure, after all.

Also, God, what did you mean by your post? I didn't understand it.
    Links:
    Currently Working On:

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    But if there was no evil, there would be no death.
    Now that's just downright ridiculous.

Death is a natural process reguardless of good or evil.

Good and evil are matters of perception.

Evil people don't think they are evil unless they are insane.

People who fight wars invariably think they are on the "good" side, the winner writes history and records that the other was evil.

Evil is a concept, without man it wouldn't exist.

Terrorists don't think they are wreaking havoc, they think they are fighting a good fight. To a terrorist THEY are the good guy, the enemy/target is the evil one.

The term terrorist is just something people label insurgents. If the terrorists win they are known henceforth as freedom fighters.

IE: American Revolution...

So in summary... The trouble with evil is... It's a human invention, a concept and a matter of perception; it cannot exist without humanity.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Death is not a good thing. It is entirely within God's power to make it so that we do not die. Likewise it is entirely within God's power to prevent all suffering and the cause of said suffering, which we would call evil. Terrorism, famine, imperialism, mortality, injustice, immorality... All these things are classifiable as evil, and so are many others; these problems should be solved by God if He exists. However, God has not removed suffering and evil. This is the problem of evil, and it is the following challenge that the theist must answer: why does God allow evil and suffering to happen? Regardless of how we define these things, they do exist, and so the believer must explain them.

Note: I have not intended to shift from my original statement of the problem, and to my knowledge I have not. If I have, the original is to be disregarded, the result of poorly defined parameters.

Face it, The Editor, you have no right to say what is right and what is evil, nor does anyone, so this topic is unanswerable.
    Links:
    Currently Working On:

Because shit would be boring without it. If this creator could get rid of all those said bad things, then we wouldn't be able to be having this discussion. How boring would your life be without the ability to question things?

I say again: The trouble with evil is... It's a human invention, a concept and a matter of perception; it cannot exist without humanity.

We're speaking strictly in hypothetical terms here. The question is not if it exists, it's why would it exist under some almighty spiritual leader.

It would exist for the same reason everything else exists.

God gets bored.

God was alone. God thought, "Wouldn't it be fun if I weren't alone?" and so he made everything. Adam was alone in the garden, and god thought, "Wouldn't it be fun if he weren't alone?" Eve enters at stage left. Before much time passed god became bored again, he thought, "I think I'll invent drama." And so the days of our lives were born.

Really, we are nothing but one long running soap opera.

Even in pain people can find happiness. There's always a positive point of view and a negative point of view. Pain also unite people, just as C.S. Lewis said: "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world".

Quote Originally Posted by m1n05_4 View Post
    Even in pain people can find happiness.
    What are you? Emo?

As far as I'm aware, "God is a jerk" isn't an answer that theists accept, and who can blame them?

Boredom is better than suffering.

Evil is a definable term. It has parameters that are understood. Examples of moral ambiguity do not change this. You cannot deny the existence of evil and suffering.

On a barely related note, it's quite clear that no one here believes in objective moral facts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast