Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophy

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

You'd have to ask one. However, let us think about how a single teenage mother ends up in her situation, shall we? She chose to have the child, and so what happens is her responsibility and she should do something about it herself.

Woah. So because she is poor you think she should have an abortion? Cold, mate.

Until you've been pregnant you shouldn't be able to advise anyone to have an abortion. Considering you can't become pregnant that means you have no right period to tell someone what they should or should not do to their body and their baby.

If you don't want your child you can sign away your rights as a parent, but you should have thought of the consequences before you had sex.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Ever heard of adoption? And she shouldn't get into something she can't handle.

So even with adoption she would still be alone 8 months pregnant and destitute.

Well that's a start... at least she doesn't have a newborn that costs $$$$$$

No, she would have to live with the thought that her first born child was in the arms of another for the rest of her life.

Every day she would wonder if he was getting loved enough, every night she would fall asleep wondering if he had to cry himself to sleep. For the rest of her life he would be an infant in her eyes.

Gosh I am going to cry just thinking about it. I can't imagine my poor little love being with some other woman who didn't know him as his mother does. I am all for adoption, but because I am a new mother I can just feel the ache of the person who has to give up their baby. It would be a pain that never left me, a constant thorn in my foot.

Never a minute goes by that I don't think of my baby, and I can't leave him with his grandmother just to go out to dinner without worrying about him all the time. When he was born and I first heard his cry I sobbed with relief that he was okay, and mine. Motherhood is the best thing that ever happened to me, all my life I felt incomplete, and now I know why. I can't imagine taking that from someone just because they were screwed over by a man and their parents abandoned them.

You make it sound that a mother isn't allowed to visit a child she's offered up for adoption. Last I checked she could.

Not usually she can't. The separation is meant to be permanent so as not to confuse the child. Most adoptive parents are very possessive and won't even allow the child to see the real parents in adulthood.

The pain of that loss would haunt you forever.

I've watched enough Lifetime movies about this that I should know.

Then the simple fact of the matter is that you shouldn't get into that situation in the first place. You made the problem, you fix it.

Rape?

Date rape?

Drunken mistakes?

Stupid mistakes?

You shouldn't pay for a mistake you made when you are 17 years old for the rest of your life.

Abortion.
    Abortion.
    Your fault for drinking too much.
    Your fault for being an idiot.

Not really. Innocent girls can easily be taken advantage of by wicked worldly men and shouldn't suffer forever because of it. If she wants her child and has been taken advantage of it's our responsibility as a society to take care of her.

And we get the right to lord it over her forever too. Oh wait, this isn't a small town in the 60's. So we should withhold that right.

If she wants her child then she should take responsibility for it, not us. It's only our responsibility if it ends up in the state sector, because that is a public service and so I am absolutely fine with paying for it. The same goes for health, education, transport and so on. However, private funding is not something I want my money to go into without my say so.

That's inhumane.

You aren't viewing this hypothetical person as a person, but only as a charity case. She won't be downtrodden forever. She's smart and capable of taking care of herself. Just not for the first year or so of her child's life. She'll likely work and go back to school and get a great job later on.

Her boyfriend is a drug addict for christ's sake, he's abusive, her parents are heartless people unworthy of her affection. She needs someone to care if her child lives or dies. She only needs a little financial assistance for a finite period of time. She doesn't want charity, but she has no other option.

How can you not help her?

Man, you seriously need to stop watching movies! I know that happens in real life sometimes but holy shit...

So should other people pay for people mistakes? Teenagers nowadays are fully aware of what could happen if they get drunk or have sex. It's their fault that they don't listen to people and they should pay the consequences for it.

WTF?

Ah, the random advertisements that pop up on here... Anyway, she got herself into this mess. She has a lowlife boyfriend, she has unhelpful parents. She knew these things before having the child. She made that decision herself, and so she must take responsibility for the outcome. It is not my responsibility to help her, and I would rather my money goes where I want it to. I should be able to choose, not the government.

How could I not help her? Let's think of it this way: she needs the money so that she can look after her child. But wait, what about me? I need the money so that I can buy my medication. I wonder which is more important to me?

Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    Ha freaking ha. I'm not against welfare out right. For example, disabled people who are incapable of working should get it. However, if you are capable of working and yet do not progress I do not think you should be entitled to a chunk of my money. If you've been stuck in the same low-pay job you started in twenty years ago, then clearly you are doing something wrong. Your failure is not something beyond your control, it is your fault. Now go and do something about it.

People with careers do not need welfare. They make their own money. If they decide to live beyond their means then it's their own damned fault and I for one do not believe I should help bail them out.

If you make a bad choice it's also your fault and you should be responsible. Once again, deal with it yourself.

If people have a chance to improve themselves they should take it rather than taking money from those who already have.
    Haha, YOUR money?

If you've been stuck in the same low-pay job you started in twenty years ago, then clearly you are doing something wrong.
    read up on social discourse, The Editor.

The Editor your misunderstanding of culture here is shocking.

You'd have to ask one. However, let us think about how a single teenage mother ends up in her situation, shall we? She chose to have the child, and so what happens is her responsibility and she should do something about it herself.
    And at that point you are not just punishing the mother, but the child. You know, the child who was born into the situation unwittingly and didn't do anything to deserve it. Just like most rich people(YOU TOO?) were born into their money unwittingly and did nothing to deserve it?

Your fault for being an idiot.
    Spoiled rich kids make a shit load of stupid mistakes that are often illegal(hello President George W. Bush, the alcoholic and drug user) but have their parents and the aristocratic society which is tailor made for them for a safety net. Why shouldn't the lower class have a similar safety net, provided by the state as they have no one else to provide it?

Yes, my money.

Having just consulted both the OED and Wikipedia, I have come to the conclusion that social discourse is concerned with the way in which society communicates ideas, and am therefore at a loss as to what your point is.

Yes, my money.

Having just consulted both the OED and Wikipedia, I have come to the conclusion that social discourse is concerned with the way in which society communicates ideas, and am therefore at a loss as to what your point is.
    What money do you make, The Editor?

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

and am therefore at a loss as to what your point is.
    Well you've made that obvious with every post you've made thus far.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast