Thread: I just realized the war has nothing to do with oil.

Default I just realized the war has nothing to do with oil.

=o_o= All this time I thought it was a piece of the equation, it doesn't even factor in. We have such monstrous reserves here at home untapped it's not even funny. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to fend off some hippies in Alaska than it would to occupy a nation on the other end of the earth. Also, this whole war is entirely for show. Think about it, we're the fucking United States, we get whatever we want. If we wanted Iraq safe, it'd be safe. If we wanted illegals out, they'd be out. If we wanted no crime and no drugs they'd be gone.

In WWII we wanted Hitler gone. He had a standing army, the most powerful navy, he had entrenched himself deep in Europe and expanded his empire. He had the best equipment on the field and well trained battle-hardened veteran soldiers. The United States was recovering from the greatest depression in it's history. It had drafted recruits and had to get private factories pumping out munitions, vehicles, equipment, etc, and then transport them across the world. In the end we ended up beating them back and getting Hitler. We are the richest most powerful military nation in the world but somehow, we just can't stop drug smugglers. Somehow, we just can't stop illegal aliens. =>_>= Seems kinda fishy to me.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

You overestimate your power, grasshopper.

The new star of the RPG world!

The best way to bind your citizens togather with nationalism and focus them against a common enemy? Perpetual Warfare. I heard of that concept from reading 1984, and I think Orwell has a good point. Nothing binds people to you and maintains their loyalty like a constant enemy, threatening enough to cause the citizens harm but not strong enough to destroy them or the government.
    People admire and respect their superiors, are repulsed and disgusted by their inferiors, and connect to their equals.

The extreme highs and lows in life get a strong reaction - Yet it the averages in life that most people connect to.

The class system is nothing more then different groups of people grouping with their fellow equals and feeling the sense of separation from their superiors and inferiors.

yeah because the war on terror is doing a great job at keeping citizens blindly united against an agreed upon common enemy

and fighting a standing army is a hell of a lot easier than fighting an insurgency

I can't believe you just caught on.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

America has never gone 20 years without a war. Why stop that trend now?

The new star of the RPG world!

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    yeah because the war on terror is doing a great job at keeping citizens blindly united against an agreed upon common enemy

and fighting a standing army is a hell of a lot easier than fighting an insurgency
    Exactly. Honestly, I don't know what to say now.
    People admire and respect their superiors, are repulsed and disgusted by their inferiors, and connect to their equals.

The extreme highs and lows in life get a strong reaction - Yet it the averages in life that most people connect to.

The class system is nothing more then different groups of people grouping with their fellow equals and feeling the sense of separation from their superiors and inferiors.