Thread: If you were ruling a country

The new star of the RPG world!

Default If you were ruling a country

What techniques would you use to keep your population obedient?
    People admire and respect their superiors, are repulsed and disgusted by their inferiors, and connect to their equals.

The extreme highs and lows in life get a strong reaction - Yet it the averages in life that most people connect to.

The class system is nothing more then different groups of people grouping with their fellow equals and feeling the sense of separation from their superiors and inferiors.

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Democracy. Simply do what the majority want you to and everything goes your way.

So, while in power as the ruler of a nation, what should be of the utmost concern is how to manipulate and in many cases deceive your citizens at bay to stay in power for as long as possible? The fact that you lucidly describe them as 'techniques to make the population happy' is an act of ingratiation right there.

Instill fear.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

I've always thought that "obey me or die" encouraged opposition.

I would be the most beloved head of state of all time.

Naturally. What policies do you have planned, oh glorious leader?

I'd still instill fear. Even my opposition would fear opposing me.
    omae wa mou shindeiru

Quote Originally Posted by The Lacemaker View Post
    So, while in power as the ruler of a nation, what should be of the utmost concern is how to manipulate and in many cases deceive your citizens at bay to stay in power for as long as possible? The fact that you lucidly describe them as 'techniques to make the population happy' is an act of ingratiation right there.
    First, I said "techniques to keep the population obedient", somewhat different from "happy". Second, I never said that it was the utmost concern - This was simply inspired by another thread. Third, I never said anything about deceiving my citizens to stay in power as long as possible.

Anyway, I would become a symbol of all the population's desires, radiate strength, charisma and self confidence, so that my citizens love and respect me. I would make sure any potential enemies would fear and respect me, and if I can charm them into following my cause, all the better.
    People admire and respect their superiors, are repulsed and disgusted by their inferiors, and connect to their equals.

The extreme highs and lows in life get a strong reaction - Yet it the averages in life that most people connect to.

The class system is nothing more then different groups of people grouping with their fellow equals and feeling the sense of separation from their superiors and inferiors.

Anyway, I would become a symbol of all the population's desires, radiate strength, charisma and self confidence, so that my citizens love and respect me. I would make sure any potential enemies would fear and respect me, and if I can charm them into following my cause, all the better.
    And then this message, and the site it's on, would be brought to public eye and all your credibility would disappear.

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

Quote Originally Posted by KidStatutory View Post
    And then this message, and the site it's on, would be brought to public eye and all your credibility would disappear.
    You bring up a good point. But if I go into politics, I would create a through false identity and cloak my past so my opponents would have a hard time sabotaging me. Anyway, who would think that a candidate would be interested in pokemon?

Those of us reading this =D

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

Prove that the future presidential candidate wrote this on the internet and not someone in his home? Or someone haxxing?

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

The only person on this site who is going to be President is me.

Okay then, Tim.... Why do you think yourself the best candidate for the presidency?

Because he is egotistical...

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Okay then, Tim.... Why do you think yourself the best candidate for the presidency?
    Too broad of a question. Ask me what I would do/what my stance is on specific issues, and I will answer.

Um, benevolent dictatorship.

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    What techniques would you use to keep your population obedient?
    It just happens? ... I dunno. Maybe I'll give them free food every third Friday of a month.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Too broad of a question. Ask me what I would do/what my stance is on specific issues, and I will answer.
    Okay then..... What actions would you take in regard to outsourcing and illegal labor?

I would set an Off-shoring minimum wage.

Off-shoring has two sides:
    It takes away American jobs, which is bad, but it also creates jobs in poor, third-world countries which is of course good. Given that, although anyone in those countries is happy to make 10 cents a day(10 more cents than they would be making), it is disgraceful for a US multinational company to be paying anyone slave-wages, no matter how little they are accustomed to in comparison. So, with the minimum wage, many companies would choose to end their off-shoring, because although it would still be less than the domestic minimum wage, it wouldnt be such a staggering cost reduction to justify the poor public image that comes with off-shoring. Of course, though, many companies would still have foreign factories in third-world nations, but with the minimum wage, they would pay their laborers LIVABLE wages.

Illegal immigrant laborers:
    It would be determined how long the immigrant worked, and the company would be forced to pay the government the difference between the federal minimum wage and what they actually payed the worker, and pay the state government the difference between that and the state minimum wage. If they payed illegal immigrants the minimum wage, they would just have to pay a non-staggering fee. The worker would be deported, but immigration officials would work closely with them to complete a legal immigration in short time.
    Besides, illegal immigration would be much less of a problem under my Presidency, because our immigration standards are extremely discriminatory, and I would make them fair so that it would be legal or even POSSIBLE for anyone who wants to move to America to come.

God, these are very interesting replies. I especially respect the mix of compassion and practicality that went into them.

Anyway, it does sound like a good idea for the most part. If executed right, it can really help America and the world, but there are a few problems I would like to ask about:

*If you're forcing companies to pay illegal immigrants the minimal wage, what will you do about racism in the current generation, which might create a glass ceiling in certain companies? Also, such a move will probably drive the white supremists to more extreme actions, so I also must ask what you'll do about them.

*The higher wages for illegal immigrants and possibly more of a feeling of equality with them will probably encourage a lot of them to come to your country. Since you'll probably have to deal with overpopulation next, how would you manage the new influx of citizens?

*Finally, for outsourcing: What if the company declares itself foreign and imports it's goods to the United States that way? What would you do to make sure that, if they remain American based, that these laws were enforced?