Thread: The socioeconomic implications of technology on today's culture and children.

Default The socioeconomic implications of technology on today's culture and children.

Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake but I recently found out a *lot* about how Microsoft plans to link their Xbox and the household PC to the cellphone and Zune (next gen will probably be like the iPhone and be the same thing) and even our cars. Normally I would be leaping for joy as this would mean never being away from my games, music, videos, internet, etc. Except then I actually sat down and thought this through. First off, a network of this size and the amount invested in it would mean it'd be expanded into the business sector, meaning for the average drone on a salary you're gonna be tethered like never before to your job. Second, monopolies are never good. Microsoft already owns Apple so there's no sense thinking they'd be able to compete. Any competitors would be greatly overshadowed by Microsoft's monolith. Got a Nintendo? Too bad it doesn't work with your PC, cell phone, or car. Got a Sony? Tough luck.

And of course there's the other part. I hate to say it but think of the children. Most of them are already walking around with cell phones just imagine if those things had fucking Xbox on them. I'm already noticing kids today are radically different from just a few years ago. They get their heads fiddled with by the lackluster schools, they don't have parents home to teach them as much so they're practically raised on the Disney Channel and of course there's the medication the schools insist they get on. They have constant entertainment wherever they go. I know this wouldn't make it radically different but I feel like it'd be the final nail in the coffin. I hear kids on XBL that can't be more than 10 talking about all the accomplishments they have on it. I play a pretty fair amount and they have waaaay more, I just think to myself "Jesus kid go out and ride a fucking bike". Maybe I'm just paranoid...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

I know exactly what you mean. When my 11yo nephew visited last summer I took him to the mall, he didn't want to go in because we had to park in the boonies. OMG WHAT? When I was his age I LOVED the mall. He said it's too much walking. Not "it's boring." or not "the arcade is outdated." ITS TOO MUCH WALKING.

PLUS going shopping with your aunt who lives miles and miles away is just an opportunity to get free stuff. But he was too lazy to walk.

I don't think he even owns a bike. When I was his age I lived on my bike.

I know he is at that really awkward stage where you can't figure if you are an adult or a kid anymore, but come on. Put down the twinkie and DS, and walk the 30 yards to the mall entrance.

I think he's a RL clone of Eric Cartmen on South Park. It's crazy.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

I think the economic impact is minimal. Perhaps people will become busier with work, but with society's foundation of familial relationships falling in like a sinkhole, it's just one more little factor for a small percentage of the nation. However, the social impact of these technologically-obsessed children is outrageous. I'm pretty sure all of us here enjoy the internet extensively and use it to get away from it all, as we do with XBL, Nintendo, etc., but we are hardly dependent on it. Does it make us all happy most of the time and is it an important source of information? Sure. But do we need to have it at our sides at all times? Of course not. And that is the boundary these kids miss. Literature and intellectual thought have been overshadowed by media frenzies, dumbed down television, disregard of social issues, video games, and other garish forms of media. It's really a sad time when so few kids enjoy to pick up a book and just immerse themselves in the magic that can be brought by a novel.

Actually, as children spend more time on the internet and less time in public they become more socially awkward and lose the ability to communicate with human beings on a face to face level. That will effect the economy. As they are unable to communicate with each other...

There is quite a direct impact between the economy and sociology, and it is rather, well, funny if you'd allow me to put it in that way, that while socio-economic developments in society can be in many cases a further improvement to the general quality of lifestyle, we can see in this example a negative impact on today's youth in some ways, and more arguably, on culture. The effect and consequence of sociology on economics, and vice versa if you were to think about it, is undeniable. Social behaviours of today have strengthened the technology economy, as well as our technology at present onto the societal norms.
    Regarding the Microsoft comment, just the another night while watching the late night news was an article on the development of technology and the fact that we are able to operate a television, laptop, sound and video system, video games and so on and so forth from one very seat. And they seemed to idolise this as a brilliant progression and beneficial advancement to society. Hell, sometimes I wonder, first of all, how people can afford these gadgets today, and why they would desire such things in the first place. So I'm one of those mild technophobes, in the sense that I am absolutely useless with it.

But we can't be so descriminatory or biased when we speak of youth as a generalisation. We can't forget that there is the exsistence of middle-aged lifeless people who are also adding towards the successful industry in technology as it is. Technology today is having an impact on our young people, perhaps further breeding the apathetic values throughout our next generations like chicken pox. But of course, technology is not the sole reason of the anti-social behaviour some have mentioned, in fact I would consider many more facets to be the culprits of that. But as for the socially awkward remark, as much truth as that may hold with the children today with themselves glued to the computer, I wouldn't consider that so much as the contribution to the economy. And that nephew of yours sounds like a bit of a lazy sloth! Now that doesn't necessarily present itself with an antisocial behaviour induced by technology. Technology isn't something to be looked upon as the manifestation that will be the end of man. I mean, I don't know, some people would deem our young generations as inferior, but I couldn't say myself being a part of that generation. We aren't so bad, are we?

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

I've always had this dream of taking away everyone's cellphones and game systems to see if the US will blow up. I think it just might.

I actually hate my cell phone. I don't use text, internet, music, etc on it; only voicemail really. Can't I have the option to get rid of these things? I have a feeling there are still extra charges on it dispite not using them. I also hate it when people whip out their phones well in the middle of class or in conversation with someone face to face. It's rude and annoying.

But XBL kids are the worst. I'm not going to post any details because it's obvious how annoying and immature they are. They're so wired up on the games that they have no social skills whatsoever and lash out when someone kills them (I thoughts those were the rules?).

*doesn't even know what XBL is*

XBL is Xbox Live

My cousin is definitley a kid raised in the 2000's. He is obsessed with TV, and he's only 5. He can totally operate the internet and browse youtube. He had to show me how to work his DVD player. It was weird.

I guess we aren't to say what is good and what is it, lest we sound like our parents or grandparents who gripe about how we have it too easy. But still, its a little unnerving.

Pichubro... These things are possible with the device known as THE PAGER.

Is the fact that I cringed at the sight of that picture a reflection of today's youth quite clearly?

The only people who really carry pagers anymore are doctors. Heh.