Thread: Arkham Asylum

Default Arkham Asylum

No, not Batman, another Nanaki blog thread.

The last one was met grimly in misc so I've decided to make one here. Why the name? It's misleading in a sense. It comes off as maybe a thread for the Dark Knight, and I probably will talk about that. But it also is on topic in a sense, seeing as I view myself as insane.

I am reluctant to make this thread because of past experiences and how they did not work out too well. I'll try this again, and see where it goes. If you don't like it, don't read it, savvy?

-.---.----..

I won't just talk about myself either, I'm also going to work with what this forum is actually for, and try myself at reviewing shit. I'll talk about movies, shows, video games, animes and the like here as well. This isn't in misc because some people can't see that, plus it probably wouldn't go unflamed there.

A basic overview of Nanaki by Nanaki:
    I am a faux narcissist. You may see me as a greedy egotistical son of a bitch but I really am not. I may play that on the internet but that's because I have somewhat of a sense of self-respect for myself. In real life I'm a rather large pessimist and hate nearly everything I do and whatever I attempt to the point where it's almost difficult to exceed. Half the time I'll turn in large term projects a few days late because I was afraid it was horrible blahblah stupid teen shit.

My name is Dylan McKellan, a 15 year old and heading for my sophmore year, and I've been on PD as Nanaki for nearly two years (come July). I started my PD career with the account "cubone43" on May 26th of 2006, only to lose my internet a day later. I returned, forgot my password and rejoined as pokenut92. I originally joined this great forum to fuck with people. I made a really horrible joke fanfic that still exists somewhere on the old forum, and mess with eight year olds because I was a massive douche back then.

Basically, I found out about RPing, and spriting, and it made me stick around once the teasing wore thin. I met Mex and Azn through Nidogod's art thread, and saw Mex telling the artistic god to try Misc, where the cool kids go. Intrigued, I decided to look into that section a couple days later. I started a thread making these blinding banners with member names with several colors and inverted them in several boxes. You can still see a few of these, Trannel had one in his sig for a bit.

I didn't get off too well in Misc, and was generally hated by everyone. I used a corny gimmick about being Mex's personal fanboy and was a faggot. I hate reading my old posts because they're just embarrassing. My account did something weird and locked me from logging on, so I made another account, but it was shortlived as the vB came later that month. I made friends with Peeki and Xion shortly after the switch, and we discussed making a project in the RP section.

Later in February, Xion, Peeki, Chrizz, CL and I all got together and discussed making a roleplay. Chrizz and CL left shortly after the discussion began and the rest of us kept brainstorming. Peeki decided to watch V for Vendetta, leaving me and Xion alone as we just started on an idea. After one long night, Era of Ascent was created. I fucking love Era of Ascent, alright? As Peeki once said, it's my "flagship". The RP was created a few months later because lame things were lame.

At the beginning of May, I became a moderator in the RP and RPG sections, and started on a few projects before my computer, yet again, gave me the BSOD. I did not get my computer (and the internet) back until the end of September. At that point, PD had gone through a rather large dead period, Chrizz stole my position on staff and a gr00vy was created.

I've been back for half a year and many have said I've improved. I like to think that I'm less of an egotistical prick but who's to say? Here I am, and take it as it is. I do have over 12,000 posts and I do believe that a shitload of them are worth nothing but you know what, I'm okay with that. I have my own postfarm thread, it's between me and pichubro and some other cool folk. That's a brief (I think) history on me as a member.
    -.---.----..

Default I Wanna Be the Guy: The Movie: The Game: The Review

As you all may well know, I am completely obsessed with I Wanna be the Guy at the moment. I am absolutely in love with this game. It's additively frustrating. Almost to the point where I'm taking up a lot of free time playing it.

So this is pretty much what happens in the game. You are The Kid, a regular 15 year old kid on the quest of his life, to kill "The Guy", who killed "Grandfather the Guy". You are entrusted with your small gun and cape of hero to go on the most deadly quest ever to find and kill the Guy.

Anything and everything in this game can and probably will kill you. The fruit, the stars, the moon, retarded birds, lasers, tetris blocks, bullet bills, everything. You will find yourself laughing constantly and frustrated often. That gun you have? It's pretty much worthless outside of about 3 parts and the boss battles.

Here's where the spoilers start if you want to play the game, so you can skip down to the bottom if you don't want the somewhat erratic story ruined.

Spoilers Start. The story starts with the Kid in a tunnel with many rows. There are four exits, each leading to different areas. The most commonly taken path is up, which consists of two jumps into an open blue skied area. Not that bad, right? Wrong.

The first area has a few trees sporting delicious fruit, cool enough. But if you walk under a few of these, they will plummet down and crush you! God damn, that's tricky. So, what you have to do is dodge them and move on. This is when you jump up to the platform above you, only to be crushed by an apple sent upwards. Wait... what? Yeah, that apple flew upwards. There are three more screens of grueling death before you enter a very large, empty room. Auto-pilot takes you to the center, where you're presented by some very familiar music.

Out of no where rises the first, and easiest boss of the game. A godzilla sized Mike Tyson! Yes, Punch Out!'s Mike Tyson is the first boss you have to fight. His pattern is simple enough to follow, but to defeat? Not too much of an easy task. He's down, yes! Then you count, hoping to get to ten. Too bad though, as he gets back up, just like in Punch Out, the god damn nigger. He continues to bash at you before you knock him down again. Anyone who knows this game knows that hope is not something to trust. He gets up for a third time and chases you around. You knock him down a final time, and Mario appears with his little "TKO" box. You did it! Mike Tyson is down. The Kid is now the world champion.

The next part has you jumping into the night sky, plummeting down to earth at an ungodly speed, once you figure out how to land without exploding, you can continue on to the most surprising... surprise yet. An area with no exit, so you must continue past a spike pit to a large land mass, only to have the moon fall from the sky on top of you... no, really.

You have to navigate around the whole entire area in order to avoid the moon. Then you travel to the next screen, which happens to be... Zelda? Yes, this next area is the first screen from the original Zelda game! You have to ride on top of Link's head to get to the next area without him cutting you in half. Bonus points if you can find the easter egg near the save point.

Finally, you enter the next area leading up to your second boss. Too bad it's the hardest area in the entire game. Modeled after the game Ghosts n' Ghouls, it is harder then the original game. You are first presented with a pit of spikes, once you jump over it, the ground rises! Whoops, you fell to your death. After hopping over the pit, you continue to the next area, wait, no you don't. A hand reaches out of the tree and kills you, great.

Jump OVER the hole in the tree and avoid the hand to enter the next screen. SPIKE HELL. The next challenge makes you travel under and above several spikes in a very small area, which wouldn't be too difficult if you can time yourself well. Too bad Kayin's a dick though.

As soon as you hop over the first ground spike, it rises! Yes, all of the spikes rise/drop depending on their position back and forth. So now you have to jump between spikes before they stab you! Once you get to the final jump, however, it speeds up even more. Your timing has to be be PERFECT or else you won't survive.

Avoid some birds from Ninja Gaiden above, and you're home free. Not really. You still have another 3 screens of hell before another great surprise. You make a final leap of faith before the moon, once again, drops on you. It does not kill you however, but you do fall through the floor into a great big open area.

The Ikaruga warning sign and waxen? What's going on? You next see a warhead, shaped like an egg, which you land on. Another one appears, and another, you keep making your way across these without falling behind and dying off screen, and soon enough you see the cause. Birdo!

It's not any regular Birdo either, it's a gigantic mechanized super Birdo firing eggs from hell at you. Your challenge is to hop from egg to egg while shooting at Birdo, while Shy Guy's with forks attempt to skewer you in the face. Attack his antenna first, followed by his eyes. The bad part about the second form is that his eyes are also shooting lasers at you. Great. Afterwards, mindlessly shoot at the eyeless monstrosity and avoid Shy Guy's and the fucker will blow in no time.

You then travel inside the devil bird. Save, fall down the hole, because that glowing front of that egg will kill you. Fall down, and hop midair to land below the egg, and continue. The next two areas are just dodging spikes and turrets.

What's this? A gigantic fan? Don't go in there, you'll fly up to your spiky death. What you have to do is navigate around more spikes to find the off switch high above you. Turn that off and then you have to travel the whole way back down. Another great surprise awaits you as you jump the gap to leave the area. Ryu flies from off screen and kills you, awesome.

So you have to jump into the area enough to trigger him, and still make it back to safety to continue. OR you can just turn the fan back on when he's already appeared, sending him to his spiked doom. Ahahahaha. Great. Now, instead of turning the fan back off, go back down and hop in the area, and it will send you upwards into... The Castlevania level?

Yes, you have to go through Castlevania, complete with Medusa heads and a witch. It's three screens that will make you fairly frustrated, but are not too hard compared to the rest of the game. I guess this is only fair because it leads you to probably the second hardest boss in the game.

I wonder who the boss of the Castlevania area is? Well it's not who you actually think it is. Dracula is sitting on his chair, a familiar sight to anyone who played Symphony of the Night. The same dialog as the game runs, only the Kid takes over. Listen to this, but keep your finger on the S key. Dracula throws his wine glass, not to the left like in SOTN, but at you, hit the S key to start the fight before dying.

He disappears, only to reappear randomly somewhere else, using a random attack on you. This game + random = not good at all. This is a very fun fight, mixed with great music (who am I kidding, all the music in this game is awesome), but very very difficult at the same time. You will find yourself cursing Dracula's name as you dodge waves of cherries while the floor burns, while avoiding massive blobs coming at you that will never die. The end surprises you, as Dracula teleports to the center. "Now, witness my true form!" he says, as he turns into...

A waddle-dee.

Yeah, one shot kills him, and you transfer out of the Castlevania area to the area passed the fan. The next screen is the final screen before the second hardest part of the game (that will come later). All you can do is use the teleport to travel back to the very first screen of the game. Fun times, right? Yeah.

I'll continue my review later, but I think I've written enough already. Three of eight bosses are already named, I've only beaten 4 of them so yeah, let me beat the Koopa trio and I'll continue later. End Spoilers

So far, I'm going to give I Wanna Be the Guy a 8/10. This isn't the final score, because I haven't finished the game nor the review, so expect a different score once I'm finally THE GUY.
    -.---.----..

So yeah, I'm shit eager to see the Dark Knight. Heath Ledger, as Tim likes to point out, is one of my favorite actors (forgetting about a certain cowboy movie) and I think his performance as the iconic Joker is far ahead of Nicholson's portraying.

If you hadn't guessed this from my profile, spewing Dark Knight bits and pieces, I cannot wait until next Friday. Sure enough, I don't get to see it opening day. But rest asure, I will see this movie, and hopefully love it.

This post may seem pointless, but I'm opening this up for discussion on the movie. Hopefully it isn't as overhyped as Cloverfield

What I love is how many villains are in this. The Scarecrow returns, along with the Joker, as we all know, Two-Face comes in the last half of the movie, and we may even see Edward Nygma.

Edit:
    I bought these posters today:
    -.---.----..

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post

Basically, I found out about RPing, and spriting, and it made me stick around once the teasing wore thin. I met Mex and Azn through Nidogod's art thread, and saw Mex telling the artistic god to try Misc, where the cool kids go. Intrigued, I decided to look into that section a couple days later.
    I thought you were in the Misc. before Nidogod.. And we all know there was some stuff that happened between you and I that you don't wanna talk about..

Quote Originally Posted by The Azn Party Boy™ View Post
    I thought you were in the Misc. before Nidogod.
    Nope, he joined some 4 days after me. If you mean before he came to Misc, he did start posting, only a year later than me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Azn Party Boy™ View Post
    And we all know there was some stuff that happened between you and I that you don't wanna talk about..
    Last edited by Nanaki; 07-12-2008 at 04:03 PM.
    -.---.----..

what is the point of this thread

Would you rather see a clutter of Nanaki threads that you don't want to read or a single Nanaki thread cluttered with posts you don't want to read.
    -.---.----..

i mean i actually dont understand what this thread is. is it a blog-thing ... about films or something. also there are what two entries in 2 months. not much of a blog. i dont get it nanaki. whats happening.

I really just want to put all the usually pointless stuff that doesn't deserve threads into one thread. But I don't post that much in general lately because I really have limited time on the computer, so I don't post that much in this thread.

Like I said, I'm just going to put all of the stuff I would make a thread for normally, into a post in this thread.

Hopefully it'll pick up when I start posting more.
    -.---.----..

OKay.... so what's up with Era Of Ascent? If it's so badass... why have I been in the air attacking Xion for almost a year now? Get to crackin hoss.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

How many times have I said that I cannot control what Xion does?
    -.---.----..