Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Current threats to Earth

At what speed?
    omae wa mou shindeiru

It's also theorized that there is one at the center of most galaxies, so we're really just one big sinkhole.

Itty Bitty Kitty of DOOM. Peeki's Avatar

me

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    It really is. In the past, currency was generally a precious metal or some object of practical use or value to society at large; but now, we are supposed to rely on some sort of trust system of metaphorical value and it just does not fly.
    The fall of the confederacy taught us that paper money is completely worthless... But did we learn?

When the confederacy was crumbling people stole millions of dollars in gold (supposedly, some people claim it is a myth) and secreted it out through the blockade. The paper money was then worthless.

If this nation ever falls, you can guarantee that the paper money you have wont be worth the paper (cloth) it's printed on.

Thats why after the depression so many people buried jars of silver quarters in their backyards.

Now not even our metal money has any value. Except the copper pennies, which are valueless anyway.

Oh and back to the list... Just put this at the top... The greatest threat to earth is mankind. Conversation over.

Outside of natural disaster and epic meteors or comets, we are the only real threat.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

yeah but you see paper money works the same way as gold does

people want paper money because of perceived worth
    people want precious metals because of perceived worth

if the world gets into a state when people no longer find paper currency valuably, then there are probably more things to worry about than having shiny metals.

People perceive paper money to have value because it is backed by precious metals in a treasury. Without the precious metals to hand the peasantry lose their money in a revolution.

Rich people convert some of their money to precious metals and stones to keep at hand. Poor people cannot afford to do this.

During the US Civil War even the rich confederates bought confederate bonds to supply the confederacy with money to blockade in goods from Europe. After the war the blockaders made off with most of the treasury rendering the paper bonds worthless. So after the war, people who invested in the Confederate Government lost all they had. The US government raised the land taxes to help cover the cost of the war. The ex-confederates couldn't afford to pay the exorbitant taxes, and thus had to sell off their precious metals and jewels, and eventually their land to pay them.

So the people who had land, jewels and precious metal got to keep some of their stuff, the people who invested all in the Confederate government lost all. Those who had little to start with, the poor white people, lost all.

After a gotterdammerung (unfortunately the ruling party usually does think of themselves as gods) poor people become even poorer and the rich people who steal the treasury become even richer. This is not a conspiracy theory, it is a fact. While your paper may be backed by a treasury, if the US ever failed, it would be worse than useless. The new government would not honor the old government's form of currency.

If you can't see that then there isn't any use in typing further... Sigh.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Make a thread about currency if you want to talk about that. Otherwise, I agree with that one Cat person.

REVISED LIST
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*

1. Mankind
    2. Natural forces
    "GENTLEMEN, I HAVE MADE LOVE TO THIS LAWNMOWER! AND NOW I ASK MYSELF, WHY?"
    -Dr. Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Keke Le Cat View Post
    People perceive paper money to have value because it is backed by precious metals in a treasury. Without the precious metals to hand the peasantry lose their money in a revolution.
    yeah but no one real cares about that, besides money is now completely detached from any kind of measurement system based on metals or any other harder assets. it runs on supply, demand, and perception(which is actually what precious metals run on too, they're just older)

and as i said, if the US fails, there's probably bigger problems in the world than wanting nice looking metals. water, food, oil, etc would be the real currencies. i dont see anyone suggesting money should be back by those.

If you can't see that then there isn't any use in typing further...
    Sigh.
    condescension is really unbecoming of you

Barter would be excellent, trade of goods. Your stuff is worth more if you can talk it up or if ya get what people need. Money is generally the same worth over a general area.

Who Run Barter Town? Master Blaster Run Barter Town!

Post Apocalyptic Life for the victory.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

I'll make a thread about currency later.
    -Dr. Weird

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

I love that you started that whole conversation because of the fact that just a page or so before you beileved that economy problems would be the greatest threat to mankind.

Yes. But I would like to stay on topic today. Oh, and it was two pages before. Not one.
    -Dr. Weird

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

This is on topic.

Wasn't it true that towards the end of WWII that the Pound fell to a value almost similar to that of Yen?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123