Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Education

Default Education

It's no secret that one of the things I hate the most in the entire world is our public education system(the private education system isnt great either).

What do the denizens of Pokedream think about our education system? What do they think should be done to reform it?

I'll post my long and contentious opinions later, I just want to see what others think, and yell at them if they're wrong.

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

It's a very flawed system, that would need to be maticiulously picked apart and changed in many aspects. Certain parts are somewhat OK, and would only need small changes and tweaks to make them good, while others would need total overhaul.

The Justice Knife Xion: The Master of Steel's Avatar

In reference to education up to the end of high school, it's an outdated system aimed at getting the majority of society prepared for work in a factory-type setting.* Most people who graduate at this point don't all go to these fields of work anymore, but for some reason, we have still retained an educational system that says we do.* So middle schools and high school obviously need an absolute overhaul.

Colleges aren't horrible, as after a certain point of basic education requirements, you can pick the classes you take that are relevant to the career you plan on entering.* But it is those basic education requirements that need to be revamped, as they are largely outdated as well.
    hi im xion [/stab] =THE JUSTICE KNIFE=
    THE GRAYLAND SQUADRON

The new star of the RPG world!

I think that our education system, particularly in high schools and colleges, is too general and teaches many subjects that the students will hardly use anyway. The time and money that is spent on these subjects can be channeled towards more specialized classes, which each student would make far more use of them.

That's just one problem, of course....
    People admire and respect their superiors, are repulsed and disgusted by their inferiors, and connect to their equals.

The extreme highs and lows in life get a strong reaction - Yet it the averages in life that most people connect to.

The class system is nothing more then different groups of people grouping with their fellow equals and feeling the sense of separation from their superiors and inferiors.

God, how would you overhaul the educational system?

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

A lot of stuff.

Less of an emphasis on letter grades because they really don't mean anything.

The entire structure(bells, periods, etc) would be changed to be much less archaic. It was created to condition people to work in factories, and factory jobs aren't all that popular anymore in America.

Less bureaucratic.

World Cultures, Sociology, Psychology, Economics, Law, and a choice of one of the UN-official foreign languages would all be mandatory classes.

Less emphasis on standardized testing. By less emphasis, I mean hardly any emphasis.

I would make homeschooling easier, but also make sure homeschooling isn't just used as a guise for Indoctrination.

Some other stuff.

In a lot of ways school is a bit useless these days, what with the wide availability of information. I think the main point of school these days should just be used as a type of launching pad to get the students interested in something, and assist them on a more personal self-driven education on whatever interests them, and also to be used to spread cultural awareness.

oh and abstinence only sex ed would be ILLEGAL

Question though. Considering there is only a limited amount of time in the day to teach students, how would you fit in the new classes in the schedules. Would you make them for parts of a year rather than as an every day, every week, every year class?

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    A lot of stuff.

Less of an emphasis on letter grades because they really don't mean anything.

The entire structure(bells, periods, etc) would be changed to be much less archaic. It was created to condition people to work in factories, and factory jobs aren't all that popular anymore in America.

Less bureaucratic.

World Cultures, Sociology, Psychology, Economics, Law, and a choice of one of the UN-official foreign languages would all be mandatory classes.

Less emphasis on standardized testing. By less emphasis, I mean hardly any emphasis.

I would make homeschooling easier, but also make sure homeschooling isn't just used as a guise for Indoctrination.

Some other stuff.
    Well lettergrades exist for a few reasons. For one, as leverage against students, So people aren't just doing nothing and being promoted and learning absolutely nothing, not to mention when kids are acting like pricks, you can just fail them on participation. The Lettergrade system is a very flexible grading system and the only really useful one in existance at the moment.

The periods system isn't bad, just flawed. For one, They make you wake up way too fucking early. Most jobs don't require you to be there until 9 am. Not only that, usually they allow more time for lunch. The letterday system is really REALLY stupid. A 6 day cycle? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! If it were either a 5 day system, or same classes every day, that would make much more sense. Periods are needed, otherwise how would you seperate the classes? Not only that, it sorta teaches organization, like for keeping a schedule and stuff.

Most of those classes are good, but you still need basic mathmatics. And an edited version of algabra, with some of the basics and things that could come up in real life applications in some engineering and computer fields. Sciences would definatly be much better electives. In addition, quite a few changes need to be made to the phys ed system. Like being able to select spesific courses or styles of athletics as your phys ed credits, like a self defence/martial arts class, or other spesifc classes or sports.

Standardized testing is really only for grading schools as a whole. I don't think you could really effect that too much.

oh and abstinence only sex ed would be ILLEGAL
    Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    Question though. Considering there is only a limited amount of time in the day to teach students, how would you fit in the new classes in the schedules. Would you make them for parts of a year rather than as an every day, every week, every year class?
    well considering that a decent amount of periods consist of not really doing anything or busywork, they can be shortened

well considering that a decent amount of periods consist of not really doing anything or busywork, they can be shortened
    how would you deal with the possible lack of teachers for the new subjects you would be instituting?

[QUOTE=Mario The Black Knight;287483][COLOR="Black"]Well lettergrades exist for a few reasons. For one, as leverage against students, So people aren't just doing nothing and being promoted and learning absolutely nothing, not to mention when kids are acting like pricks, you can just fail them on participation. The Lettergrade system is a very flexible grading system and the only really useful one in existance at the moment.[QUOTE]

If they don't want to learn anything then okay.

Most of those classes are good, but you still need basic mathmatics. And an edited version of algabra, with some of the basics and things that could come up in real life applications in some engineering and computer fields. Sciences would definatly be much better electives. In addition, quite a few changes need to be made to the phys ed system. Like being able to select spesific courses or styles of athletics as your phys ed credits, like a self defence/martial arts class, or other spesifc classes or sports.
    Well duh there will still be math. I said those classes would ADD to the mandatory classes already, not replace them.
    I would want all math to be taught in a practical context. Don't just fucking show the kids how to solve some ridiculous equation, explain to them how solving that equation can actually be put to use. It doesn't even have to be how it can be put to use in every day life or something - just how it can be put to use EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario The Black Knight View Post
    [COLOR="Black"]Well lettergrades exist for a few reasons. For one, as leverage against students, So people aren't just doing nothing and being promoted and learning absolutely nothing, not to mention when kids are acting like pricks, you can just fail them on participation. The Lettergrade system is a very flexible grading system and the only really useful one in existance at the moment.
    If they don't want to learn anything then okay.

Well duh there will still be math. I said those classes would ADD to the mandatory classes already, not replace them.
    I would want all math to be taught in a practical context. Don't just fucking show the kids how to solve some ridiculous equation, explain to them how solving that equation can actually be put to use. It doesn't even have to be how it can be put to use in every day life or something - just how it can be put to use EVER.
    You have to consider something here. Most students don;t care and don't want to learn. 99.99999999% of modern kids in american schools are giant faggots who show up to school to socialize, add people to their myspaces, and meet people to skate with. They only do work if they feel they have to. Take away the teacher's leverage, and the country becomes illiterate and ignorant quicker than you can say high school drop out. No one will try because they are garenteed to pass no matter what.

Except our school system actually encourages that kind of view of school. Basically what I would like to do is have some kind of comittee that monitors each student's activity - what they study etc, and decide if they have learned a decent amount of stuff in regards to whatever they want to do as a career. Whether that's from hearing teacher's lecture, reading books in the library, or reading fucking wikipedia it doesn't matter, as long as they have a decent knowledge about whatever they plan to do post-high school, and then they get a diploma.

Besides there will always be vocational training for kids who aren't big on academics.

The Justice Knife Xion: The Master of Steel's Avatar

Is there any specific way you would arrange the schedule of classes in a school day? As in, what would you put in place of a period/block-type system?
    hi im xion [/stab] =THE JUSTICE KNIFE=
    THE GRAYLAND SQUADRON

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

With access to the Internet, one could assume that some classes can be shortened if the students are given time to do self-research by themselves. Not only that, but the Internet can really teach them something useful. Like how to decode a bomb or something.

I'm of the honest opinion that if teaching was the pinnacle of your profession instead of a corporate job earning you nine seven figures yearly, then the system itself would follow suit. Were that people who truely knew the best of their respective fields honestly attracted to teaching and doing what they could to make sure their knowledge was used and expounded upon by more able and agile minds than even theirs, then things themselves would improve.

As it is, most Teachers become Teachers for three reasons: they don't know what they want to do with their lives and it's an easy choice, they have an honest belief they're returning to the community, or they want to help children to better deal with the life they lived and therefore expect those children to go through. At least in America. A few places this fails to be true are colleges and certain private schools- public education in and of itself is a place for people who can't be creative enough to follow their own dreams or think they're doing good in a world that won't notice.

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

Except our school system actually encourages that kind of view of school. Basically what I would like to do is have some kind of comittee that monitors each student's activity - what they study etc, and decide if they have learned a decent amount of stuff in regards to whatever they want to do as a career. Whether that's from hearing teacher's lecture, reading books in the library, or reading fucking wikipedia it doesn't matter, as long as they have a decent knowledge about whatever they plan to do post-high school, and then they get a diploma.

Besides there will always be vocational training for kids who aren't big on academics.
    Do you know how almost impossible that would be? In a typical public school, there has to be between 700-1,200 students. There's no way one commitee could possibly keep up with the every want and need of every student in a school. Beyond that, what happens to people who have no clue what they want to do as a career. And did you know that some students actually don't get to do what they want to do when they graduate high school all the time? A general knowledge about a bunch of things is important. You couldn't just have it focus on exactly what they dream of doing at least 5 or 6 years in the future. (You know, because most students start high school in 9th or 10th grade and are idiots)

Well the main point is that they should demonstrate that they've learned something, in school or out, that will have a relevant effect on whatever GENERAL course they want to take after school. It doesn't have to be towards a specific career really, just using an example.

And yeah I know the comittee isn't a very practical idea, I'd've just LIKED to do it if it were possible.

And yeah a general knowledge of a bunch of stuff is important, I'm not saying I'd get rid of classes and requirements, just they'd be a lot less important.

Besides this is just an ON THE FLY flow of general possibilities. Of course a ton of shit needs to be hammered out. Obviously in the actual planning stages of implementation I would go over it extensively with professionals in education, child/teenage/general psychology, etc.

Well the main point is that they should demonstrate that they've learned something, in school or out, that will have a relevant effect on whatever GENERAL course they want to take after school. It doesn't have to be towards a specific career really, just using an example.

And yeah I know the comittee isn't a very practical idea, I'd've just LIKED to do it if it were possible.

And yeah a general knowledge of a bunch of stuff is important, I'm not saying I'd get rid of classes and requirements, just they'd be a lot less important.
    Well there's where your Standardized testing type stuff comes in. At the end of every year in addition to the regular exams, you adminster a general knowledge test about things you would need to live in the real world, And make there be a section of the test more specialized towards a general vocational area that the student decides will be on the test before they take it. They would take it every year of highschool because of the fact that students constantly change their minds about their careers. Make it a graduation requirement to some degree, as in make it required that you need a certain grade in order to pass to the next year. Naturally that grade required would increase by year, like freshmen wouldn't need to score too high, and same with sophmores, but juniors and seniors would need to get good grades on it in order to graduate, and score a decent grade on the vocational portion. Maybe you could throw in your little committee on the people who do the shittiest on the test or something and have the committee watch them or something.

In a world... where a voice from the heavens tells you to CUT LOOSE. Octazooka's Avatar

I wish they'd do a better job deciding what classes should and should'nt be mandatory. For example: I wish to go into Pharmacy, what the HELL is writing an essay on a bad book going to help?

It would make you more cultured and rounded in general.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast