Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Education

In Soviet Russia, Editor is protected from YOU!! The Editor's Avatar
    In a timeless moment, of perfect balance.

Wow. Just... Wow. Clearly I have no place in offering an opinion here because I was educated privately in England, but whatever. So, first things first. The language most people can speak is English (Hooray!). The next most spoken language is Chinese (Mandarin, I think), but it's only useful if you intend to go to China. After that comes French. French? How the hell did that happen? ... Moving on.

English lessons have a purpose, which is to tell you two things: 1) if you can write a coherent report/essay, and 2) if you could actually be an author.

Sociology, Psychology, Economics and Law are complicated subjects, hence the reason why we only offer them as A-levels and degrees. Already at GCSE we have to know nine subjects. At A-level, three (four at AS, and it can vary with where you go). This makes it easier to remember the increased information. Oh, and it's damn hard learning Economics without AS Maths, apparently.

World culture doesn't strike me as immediately useful. The only time you'd need it is if you move to another country, but then you just do some reasearch beforehand. And on the subject of world culture, did you know that the Japanese don't accept tips?

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

The school system is much better than it was in the past. Take The Wall for instance.

Registered Users Regular

The education system drags on to stuff like learning about dead people ever year. We need buisness education I'm sure most of the high school kids don't know how to cash a check. They should also start giving a damn cause the teachers sure don't all they want is the check. The teachers will most definatly send you to High School blind as a puupy first born, and not prepared.

I find that, rather, the student is a slacker.

Registered Users Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    I find that, rather, the student is a slacker.
    No, that's not what I meant I meant the student needs to step up ,because the Teacher don't give a damn,and won't help you at all.

Unless you have the intelligence to get into a private school, of course. There they care. A lot. They even help you write your UCAS statement.

I don't know about the USofA, but in Canada, most teachers actually, y'know, care.

Lucky you. In the public sector they stop caring after a few years. For one thing they know, with absolute certainty, that nobody they are teaching will achieve anything ever. It's not true, but they're convinced of it. My parents were virtually begged by the headteacher at my primary school to send me to a private school because in the public sector I would've died of boredom and blood loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegun!!! View Post
    No, that's not what I meant I meant the student needs to step up ,because the Teacher don't give a damn,and won't help you at all.
    A. I think that depends on the school

B. Teachers do care about students that put in the effort.

C. If you ask for help ahead of time, before the assignment is due (or whatever it may be), 90% of teachers would be happy to help.

D. My mother happens to be a teacher, and she often gives up her breaks and lunch hour to help student with work and sometimes even their emotional problems.

Registered Users Regular

Do you live in the USA.

So our conclusion is that the USA has a fucked up education system?

No, our conclusion is that the USA has a f***ed up public education system.

Ah.

in conclusion the western view of education in general is shit

Most public school systems are really fucked up in general.
    derp

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lac459 View Post
    Most public school systems are really fucked up in general.
    Agreed. Especially the ones I know. All teachers want know around here is a stupid pay check that they're probably not going to get anyways. Hmph, what a shame.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

But at my school, they get paid over the summer, winter break, spring break, snow days, and waiver days (days we get off because the teachers are lazy assholes half the time). So I gotta say, the teachers don't have it out too bad at my school. And 90% of the kids are faggots.
    derp

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lac459 View Post
    But at my school, they get paid over the summer, winter break, spring break, snow days, and waiver days (days we get off because the teachers are lazy assholes half the time). So I gotta say, the teachers don't have it out too bad at my school. And 90% of the kids are faggots.
    Just like the district I live in. The kids at my school don't even know the simplest things that don't even apply to school, nor care about themselves. And every year we're stuck with 1-4 idiots who could care less about their education, and then go around throwing hissy fits and huge temper tantrums and then eventually hurt themselves physically or emotionally. Also my teachers are too fat and buttheaded to even see how they're also the ones who are apart of the reason why school education is screwed up and pointless as it is now.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

And people have the audacity to criticise the private sector how?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12