Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost stories?

Hybrid View

Default Ghost stories?

Found this terribly interesting article that leads me to question my own strong opinions about spirits:

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2006/...st_stories.php
    Neuroscientists investigating a young woman with epilepsy believe they have stumbled on an explanation why some people feel a ghostly presence nearby or develop paranoia or persecution.

The 22-year-old woman was being assessed for brain surgery for epilepsy but was otherwise psychologically healthy.

Part of this evaluation was to pinpoint the area needed for surgery, using thin electrodes implanted into a region of the brain.

Reporting the case in tomorrow's issue of Nature, the weekly British science journal, the doctors said that when they sent a small current to the woman's left temporoparietal junction, she said she had the impression there was somebody behind her.

The person was a "shadow", young and of indeterminate sex and did not speak, she said.

The doctors slightly increased the current and changed the woman's position from lying down to seated, and got her to hug her knees.

She then said she felt the creepy presence of man who was also sitting and who was clasping her unpleasantly in his arms.

The current was slightly increased further and the woman, this time seated, carried out a language test, reading from a card held in her right hand. She reported the presence of a sitting "person," this time displaced behind her to her right, who tried to interfere with the test.

"He wants to take the card... he doesn't want me to read," she said.

The sensation was so real that at no time did the woman realise that it was an illusion generated by her own mind, said the Swiss authors of the case study.

The temporoparietal junction is used for social reasoning - to assess oneself and distinguish oneself from others.

"Our findings may be a step towards understanding the mechanisms behind psychiatric manifestations such as paranoia, persecution and alien control," the authors said.
    Of course, that doesn't explain temperature drops, electromagnetic events, items levitating, floating lights, doors slamming, water being turned on and off, lights being turned on and off, etc.

Also, I lived in a house that was terribly haunted, everyone in the home experienced it. We lost a bottle of peroxide and when dad commanded it back, next morning it reappeared in the middle of the living room floor. I don't think that all the people in the house over looked something in the middle of the floor.

What about the bruises and scratches on me? Including in the middle of my back, and the hand shaped bruise on my arm that I couldn't have self inflicted as the thumb was on the outside of my left arm in a way that I couldn't have reached. I also woke up with bandaids wrapped around my fingers on several occasions. I didn't do it.

Then there was the paint can lid.. When I was sitting in an upstairs bedroom painting the door my hair was being pulled constantly. When I was done and I went to put the lid back on the paint can, it wasn't to be found. We put the paint in something else and a full 2 weeks later the paint can lid appeared on the back of the toilet in the downstairs bathroom with the paint still wet. Explain that as a trick of the mind.

Money (coins) appeared scattered throughout the house. Screws and nails appeared face up on the stairs over and over. Old nails with square heads but no rust. Small tacks, etc.

Keyla my dog was afraid in that house. She would yelp and hide behind me and jump at nothing. She would stair at nothing and urinate and act frightened. She went nuts in that house and my mom got rid of her for it. She wasn't like that in Bourbonais.

Doesn't explain witches being able to command ghosts to haunt people WHO DONT KNOW they were supposed to being haunted. Witches can command spirits to guard things, haunt people, etc. Really powerful witches are supposed to be able to do even more.

What about the floating loaf of bread? Me and dad were in the kitchen and a loaf of bread floated off the counter and into the middle of the room, levitated there for a little bit then fell to the floor in slow motion. We both sat there stunned for a minute without saying anything. He was peeling a cantaloupe. He put the spoon down he had been digging the seeds out with and got up and put the bread back on the counter. We were both at least 5 feet from the bread. The bread was in the counter near the sink, floated out to the middle of the room in front of the stove and then descended to the floor.

Seeing the ghosts wasn't what frightened me in the house in St. Anne. It was the physical abuse, the items disappearing and reappearing.

~~~~

Anyway! I guess the point of this thread is to gather other opinions on ghosts/spirits and other experiences with the supernatural. So, please, discuss if you think I am psycho or if you have had similar experience.

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765

Pokemon Champion Mario The Black Knight's Avatar

I've seen a few in my day.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

After watching both Ghost Hunters and A Haunting, it's hard for me to disbelieve in spirits and ghosts.

Sure, sometimes stuff like mold and high levels of electricity can kick you brain into thinking that someone's watching you, but places like Stanley Hotel don't have such things. heheheh

LOGICALLY, it's hard to believe in ghosts, but in the same way it is hard to disbelieve. I am a woman divided in her own mind.

I suppose I am an agnostic ghost believer as well, even discounting my own eye witness accounts. sigh

I don't believe in ghosts but i do believe in any other man-created-cience-fiction monster.

Ghosts are real, that's that, fuck the skeptics

I guess the whole seeing is believing principle plays a great part with ghosts

I can see how you wouldn't want to believe even if you had seen. It's scary shit, ghosts are.

I've seen, heard and felt and I don't want to believe.

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

I have yet to see any of this happen except on tv (a haunting and such shows), but I believe it can happen. There's a house in columbia that if you go to at night you can't leave the car or you'll die or something. You also have to stay awake. I've heard of people that have gone there for a night, and had the windows of their car scratched to hell by things they can't see.
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

It's not really that scary to me. They've never tried to harm me. It shakes you up a little the first few times, but after a while, it no big deal. Like when the infamous pictures I have were taken, Me and my brother and his friends (Who were both EXTREMELY freaked out, I had to bring the Katana with me just to make them even wanna go) went to where the pictures were taken and walked around with the camera taking random pictures trying to find the ghost again. And like, they heard some loud noise, I forget what, and they all except me took off running. I just walked back calmly. It was pretty funny. You could still feel that whole ghost kind of feeling out there when we were looking too.

I'm not scared, I actually want to go see this house sometime. Too bad swords have no effect on ghosts.

Well yeah, obviously, The other guys were just less scared for some reason when I had it. Who knows.

And as far as the scraches on the car windows is concerned, that sounds like the Jersey Devil. I had a Teacher in middle school who said that she and some of her friends in college were attacked by the Jersey Devil in their car. Like there was scraches all over her windows and roof and stuff.

They probably were more afraid of you with a sword than they were of a ghost.

If I ever get the chance to go to that house, I'm going to take a video camera. Then we'll see if anyone can argue against what happens.

In my hometown out in the country there is a stretch of highway called "Green Lantern Road." It was called such because back when the glass used in lanterns was green a man walking along the road holding a green lantern was hit and killed by a horse and wagon. Now, when you drive along that road in the middle of the night sometimes you see a green light up ahead on the road, but when you approach it, it disappears. Then after you are past the site where the man was killed the light appears behind you on the road and follows you for a spell.

There is also a place called Witch's Hill where a woman was lynched and hung as a witch, then buried there near her home. Her ancestors live there still, and it's said that if you sneak in and read the tombstone on the hilltop *something* will happen. But when my sister snuck in to read it the man who lives in the house came out and started shooting at her and she ran off before reading the whole thing. So I don't know what is supposed to happen. I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone.

Everyone usually tries to protect me. Don't know why. Maybe its because I am gullible and easily frightened. Heh.

There's a book called Montgomery County Ghost stories, it's incredible. There were a lot of good stories really close to where I live. I wish I could find the book and read it, I only heard a few stories last time.

In my town there's this legend about a woman crying "My KIDS" at night". It is true that in my town a girl killed himself and her childs about 50 years ago. I somehow manage to hear her screaming "my kids" from time to time followed by some crazy scream. I have lived here for about 18 years and i have heard it like 10.

Friends claim to have seen her, but i doubt it. I think there must be some explanation for this... things xD.

Yep . I have never seen her though, my grandma told me that legend :S and have been afraid ever since.

I know this really, really, really pale kid.

I think he might be a ghost.

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

I don't encounter as much ghosts here in Virginia, the only thing is I hear a train at night on an old railroad near my neighborhood.

I did however, experienced alot of shit back in the Philippines. My house was next to an old cemetery. I saw everything From full body apparitions, hearing voices, seeing a past event playback in real time, and stuff moving by itself for no reason or catalysts near it.

Perhaps the most spookiest one was about two little girls no older than 8, died in my neighborhood during a typhoon, and every night I tried to sleep, I hear them singing nursery rhymes with their creepy, little voices..

I even heard of various stories from my friends and family and what they had experienced..

Quote Originally Posted by The Azn Party Boy™ View Post
    I don't encounter as much ghosts here in Virginia, the only thing is I hear a train at night on an old railroad near my neighborhood.

I did however, experienced alot of shit back in the Philippines. My house was next to an old cemetery. I saw everything From full body apparitions, hearing voices, seeing a past event playback in real time, and stuff moving by itself for no reason or catalysts near it.

Perhaps the most spookiest one was about two little girls no older than 8, died in my neighborhood during a typhoon, and every night I tried to sleep, I hear them singing nursery rhymes with their creepy, little voices..

I even heard of various stories from my friends and family and what they had experienced..
    Fuck! That's insane, yet so awesome!

Hippy Dylan has had a few experences in his life. His spookiest was when he was living next to this place that burned down, and this little girl came up to him and asked him where the studio was. I forget how he answered her, but soon after she disappeared. He was really freaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStatutory View Post
    I know this really, really, really pale kid.

I think he might be a ghost.
    Casper!

I call him Kevin.

I think it's an alias though.

Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted;
    Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone.

Paired with: Mex - Eve

When I was really young we were packing up to go on a trip back to West Virginia to visit family. As we were about to get in the car we all heard this little girl voice say, "Don't leave me!" Everyone looked around for me, but I was already in the car.

My nephew just told me that he has heard male voices in my bathroom every time he has gone in there at night. Plus, for some reason he can't bring himself to look in my bathroom mirror. There is something really spooky about the mirror. It's about 100 years old and sort of worn thin in places, like you can see the wall through it in some places. I don't like looking in it after dark either.

Then I have seen a man standing in the dining room watching me in the kitchen, when I looked at him full on he disappeared.

When we first moved in this house my husband and I were arguing quite loudly. I went in the bedroom and he followed me and slammed the door. Then we both heard, loud as anything, louder than our shouting voices, someone saying the rosary. "Hail Mary full of grace..." etc. We found out that a nun lived here most of her life, she worked at the catholic church behind our house.

When we first moved here, and for maybe a year or two after that, I heard Victrola record music playing downstairs when I was upstairs. Not too long after we moved in the old owner asked if he could come see the place. A little weird, but we let him. Anyway, when he was here he told us the history of the house, about the nun, and about a Victrola they kept in the dining room. They would apparently move the table and living room furniture against the walls and have parties. Dance on the hardwood floors, etc. I am just glad I didn't hear dancing feet. That may have driven me over the edge. Heh.

I haven't experienced anything in this house for so long... Except when we first started talking about moving, the chairs at the dining room table started getting pulled out like someone had been sitting in them when we were gone. I told my husband that it's because they don't want us to leave. Heh.

He has heard the rosary, the floors creak, the stairs creak as someone walked up them, but he still doesn't believe. One time the lights were out, so he was laying downstairs on the couch and I was upstairs laying on the bed. I was very frightened and staying in the circle of candle light. I guess he was proving his manhood by setting off alone in the pitch black. After a while he came up and asked me if I had just gone down there. I told him no. He said that he heard someone walk down the stairs, walk through the kitchen, dining room and then living room to sit in the rocking chair and start rocking. He said, "It had to be you!" I told him I hadn't moved. How could I stealthily get back up the stairs without making any noise and without being seen?

I could never live in a house that was any kind of haunted like that. I would move after the first night.
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    I could never live in a house that was any kind of haunted like that. I would move after the first night.
    H A HAHA H HA

What's wrong, scared of ghosts!?!

You've slept at my house a bunch of times.

I hope next time your here there's a ghost, I wanna see you get freaked out, like little black josh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast